Author Topic: Right hand wave  (Read 18147 times)

oldbike54

Re: Right hand wave
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2015, 08:34:38 AM »
Dusty should be a politician.
I ask a simple question..why do you wave at other motorcycle riders?
He answers it in such a way that now I feel guilty for not waving,feel like I should hunt down every rider I did not wave at to apologize and question why I don't wave at other Ram truck drivers.
This guy is good! hahahahaha

Can't be a politician , WAY too many , er , indiscretions, in my past  :D  And my future  :o No need to feel guilty Doug , all just food for thought .

Dusty

Offline Tony/CT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2015, 08:59:08 AM »
The day I turned 16, back in the sixties, I took my motorcycle test and got my mc license. I wanted to buy a Triumph Bonneville, but at $1200.00 it was out of my price range so I ended up buying a Honda 305 scrambler, the large displacement Japanese bike,  from my brother who was off to college. Riding around town I noticed that other riders were waving at me! Not just Japanese bike riders, but guys on BSA's, Nortons, Triumphs, Royal Enfields, even Harley CH's. I was initiated into the wave by these riders. There were a lot less of us back then, and it was a time when Connecticut was trying to initiate helmet laws, and being 16 and cool, I of course was against this. There was a lot of unity among bikers and personal freedom issues which I believe was acknowledged through the wave. Today, I realize how important it is for me personally to wear a helmet even though CT. still has no helmet law. I still believe that older riders who have been riding for decades are more likely to acknowledge another rider with a  wave and that the riders who don't, have a different history than us. It's not the same comparison in a car at all. Cars weren't banned from parks because they were deemed disruptive. Car drivers weren't considered a nuisance and banned from certain roads. We waved because we recognized the importance and power that unity conveys!

Offline Tony/CT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2015, 10:04:10 AM »
58? That explains it! You're still kinda young!  ;)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2015, 10:11:39 AM »

I...
I...
I...

I...
I...
I...
I...
I...

I....
I...
Just how I feel.

Gotta love the "Me" generation!   :BEER:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2015, 10:11:39 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »

Guess my efforts didn't work  :D It's OK Doug , the next time you are broken down on the road , just tell the first rider that stops how you feel and let them get on with their day instead of wasting time rescuing you  :o

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2015, 11:02:30 AM »
I carry what I need to get me home from wherever I am.
A gun,a cell phone,a debit card,a credit card,appropriate clothing and snacks.
I'm good.

A bag of metric tools?

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2015, 11:09:38 AM »
A bag of metric tools?

So his plan is to call for help , if there is cell phone coverage , or shoot the first passing motorist and take their car  :o ;D Seriously , each to his own , but everyone , and I DO MEAN EVERYONE , will need a bit of help at some point . Money doesn't fix every problem .

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2015, 11:19:48 AM »
I don't need metric tools.
I have roadside assistance to come and pick me up and take my motorcycle to the dealer.
I am not interested in working on motorcycles.

You trollin' ??
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

DougDoolin

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2015, 11:29:16 AM »
I will remove all the above posts.
Totally got off track without trying to.
Sorry if I offended anyone.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2015, 12:34:51 PM »
I will remove all the above posts.
Totally got off track without trying to.
Sorry if I offended anyone.

THAT return was shorter than Napoleon's comeback from Elba .....
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2015, 01:12:44 PM »
The day I turned 16, back in the sixties, I took my motorcycle test and got my mc license. I wanted to buy a Triumph Bonneville, but at $1200.00 it was out of my price range so I ended up buying a Honda 305 scrambler, the large displacement Japanese bike,  from my brother who was off to college. Riding around town I noticed that other riders were waving at me! Not just Japanese bike riders, but guys on BSA's, Nortons, Triumphs, Royal Enfields, even Harley CH's. I was initiated into the wave by these riders. There were a lot less of us back then, and it was a time when Connecticut was trying to initiate helmet laws, and being 16 and cool, I of course was against this. There was a lot of unity among bikers and personal freedom issues which I believe was acknowledged through the wave. Today, I realize how important it is for me personally to wear a helmet even though CT. still has no helmet law. I still believe that older riders who have been riding for decades are more likely to acknowledge another rider with a  wave and that the riders who don't, have a different history than us. It's not the same comparison in a car at all. Cars weren't banned from parks because they were deemed disruptive. Car drivers weren't considered a nuisance and banned from certain roads. We waved because we recognized the importance and power that unity conveys!

Good point.  Having started riding a few years before you I forgot those early days.  Back then it didn't matter what brand you rode, you waved as you say 'cause there were few of us riding then.  8)   Decades later the attitude(HD) of only waving to other same brand bikers started and is still observed by many.  Now many relatively newby or day tripper bikers don't even seem to know there ever was a wave phenomenon.  :'(  When you are out in the middle of nowhere like on Hwy 50 across Nevada, the few other bikers you see wave!  Then the comaradere once again surfaces.  ;-T

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2015, 01:48:38 PM »
To paraphrase Will Rogers , I've never MET a motorcycle rider I didn't like  :)

Dusty

I'VE met some you wouldn't like ....  ;D ;)

Lannis

Offline Pancake

• Gosling
    • www.dominicsnow.com
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2015, 02:00:31 PM »
I wave if I see a Guzzi, I nod if I see a cool bike coming my way. When a car lets me through when I'm filtering I either stick my leg out (the left or right depending on which side that car was that let me through) or wave a thank you with my left hand (a very quick one!)

I'm in London so there are a LOT of bikes and scooters, you'd be a numpty to wave at any but the most essential. If I decided to wave at Ducatisor modern Bonnevilles, I'd be a numpty as there are so many. Guzzis are rare and deserve a wave; classic, cool or old cars in general get a thumbs up. I like seeing old motors being used.

I France I've seen left leg a left leg thank you from a biker I let through. I've tried this and it takes some effort to do it as well as the guy I saw: a full on take the leg off the peg and then kick out, as if kicking at something. I do do it but I'm concerned that the car driver I'm thanking will misinterpret the gesture as a threatening one, but with both hands engaged in filtering the bike through heavy traffic, I can more easily spare a leg to thank the driver.
May all beings be happy

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2015, 02:22:36 PM »
The waving increases if you ride a hack.  Small population density here.  A lot of people know each other or they know of you.  I wave.

On the Mainland, I wave mostly in the American Outback and will get a response.  Funny thing....I can tell when I get back into ID.  Not too friendly.  That's from noveau poser HD riders.

In European Alps, everyone would wave but it was more important for the hand signals to match the road hazards. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2015, 03:23:18 PM »
I'm in London so there are a LOT of bikes and scooters, you'd be a numpty to wave at any but the most essential.

I learned a new word today, thanks.   :D   Internet message boards are making the world a smaller, more homogenous place, to be sure.  I see Americans post things like "I got the carb problems sorted." regularly now.  I imagine overseas posters must occasionally use US slang as well.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »

;-T ;-T ;-T :+1

I'd be interested in the grappa he's found ... "HaHaHaHaHahahahaha. .... snore"
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »
Will was misunderstood on this . There were men he didn't like , just not when meeting them .

Dusty

I've DEFINITELY met some you wouldn't like when you met them!

Lannis

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here