Author Topic: Dipstick oil thermometer question  (Read 4570 times)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Dipstick oil thermometer question
« on: March 27, 2015, 08:36:15 PM »
I have just recieved an oil dipstick thermometer for the griso  and was wondering about scribing a level mark on it. I thought about chucking it in the lathe and lightly scribing two lines on it but don't want to screw it up. Anyone tried such a thing? I am not sure if the rod is solid or hollow and would sure hate to weaken it and have half of it end up in the sump at 6000 rpm's.   Thanks   dave

Vasco DG

Re: Dipstick oil thermometer question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 08:43:14 PM »
I stood my bike upright and measured the oil level halfway between the lines on the original stick. Then stuck the new stick in and noted where the level was and just gave it a light touch with a file. Chucking it up in the lathe and just turning a line would be more elegant but since it spends most of its life hiding in the sump I couldn't be arsed!  ;D

Pete

Oh, yes, should of said after I'd got the level upright I took the bike off the paddock stand and put it on the sidestand to get the level for the new stick. That way there's no need to piss-fart around holding the bike upright to check the oil.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:45:38 PM by Vasco DG »

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 08:52:38 PM »
I have a temperature reading dipstick for my 2004 Breva 750.

A "Sharpie" makes oil level marks on the dipstick portion that last a long time (even in the hot oil).

Try that before making permanent score marks on it.
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

wkndwanderer

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 08:59:27 PM »
spin it up in the lathe. don't chuck it too tight and use a scribe to just score it.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 08:59:27 PM »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 09:09:42 PM »
Oh, yes, should of said after I'd got the level upright I took the bike off the paddock stand and put it on the sidestand to get the level for the new stick. That way there's no need to piss-fart around holding the bike upright to check the oil.

Thanks Pete, What a great idea, now I'll just have to remember which way I marked it !

Thanks Moto Geezer, I had thought about paint or marker and that certainly would be the safest option. I tend to over think simple things, always been cursed that way.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 09:14:20 PM »
Half way between the lines on the original stick, is that screwed in or just resting on the threads? I think my manual calls for the latter.

Moto

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 10:12:19 PM »
Half way between the lines on the original stick, is that screwed in or just resting on the threads? I think my manual calls for the latter.

For the Griso the stick is supposed to just rest on the threads. (For old T3's and so on, you screw it in.)

I'm a believer in checking my oil with the bike upright, which I achieve by balancing it between my legs as I check. Gravity tells me when it's upright. The problem, as I see it, with measuring when the bike is on the kickstand is that various gas stations have sloping pavement to one degree or another, so that resting on the kickstand does not give a reliable angle with respect to the horizontal. It's no trouble to check it the way I do, once you've done it a time or two, so I figure, "Why not?"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:12:57 PM by Moto »

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 06:32:46 AM »
Or use a knurling tool. Hold oil...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »
Or stick the stick in the oil at every point you want to register as you fill.  Use your side cutters to make a mark on the stick wherever the oil level happens to be.  Do it on the centerstand, sidestand, however you like, and with the stick fully screwed up, as the book says, or rattling loose on top of its hole -- your choice for convenience and repeatability.  Just remember to always check the oil the same way you did when you indexed the stick.

MotoGoosy

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 03:38:23 PM »
That's a great addition.  Where did you get the temp. dipstick?  Dealer?

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 08:24:22 PM »
Here is the one I ordered and it fit beautifully. Seems the same length as the original plastic dip stick and was surprised at the quality. Received it in about four days, first time ordering from MG cycles, no complaints . Just wish the weather would come around. Hats off to all of you lucky enough to be riding now.  Dave

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=281&products_id=1937

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here