Author Topic: Spade oil pressure sensor  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Dino172

• New Egg
Spade oil pressure sensor
« on: July 07, 2020, 02:08:44 PM »
Hello,

Has anyone replaced there oil pressure sensor with the new part number 32768710 ?  It has a spade connector on the end of it. My sensor that I have on my bike is soldered. How do I connect it to the spade connector and wire harness?

17 V7 III Stone

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Spade oil pressure sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 02:44:42 PM »
I usually just get the same old one forever w/bullet connector and make a cross pigtail. No soldering solid. Plug in.

Edit: just saw on GT site it's a smallblock, nevermind the answer. They use aprilia parts.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 04:00:22 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

LesP

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 05:11:00 PM »
I replaced the original bullet connection unit with a new spade version so that was as easy as replacing the terminal on the new Greg Bender wiring loom (I felt a bit bad cutting up but survived)

How does a pressure switch have a soldered connection at the loom to switch ?

Offline Dino172

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 10:39:07 PM »
The wire has a black sheathing over it could be soldered under that But, I could be wrong. That is a nice setup you have there. :grin: I have that same oil pressure gauge. Any sources for those parts? Does that gauge screw on to that flare fitting? I would like to know where you got that two way adapter.

:thumb:

17 V7 III Stone

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 10:39:07 PM »

LesP

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 12:14:48 AM »
There was nothing off the shelf so had to make them myself (The alloy plate and the banjo bolt M12 thread to suit the Moto Guzzi engine case with a 1/8" NPT thread in the top of it to take the new pressure switch)

The gauge of course is Marlin's and Made in the USA...  (No ChinaDial for me) The flared fitting takes a braided line to the gauge that uses this bracket, it clamps around the steering head and places the gauge at the front left of the fuel tank.

#

That loom part you posted looks to have more than one wire and what is that brass ? thing on the end.......... Most oil pressure switches would have a simple one wire connection with grounding/earth through the switch body ?
What you have looks a little more complicated than that ?

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 09:37:55 AM »
Another place for the gauge is fastened to the crash bar (Loop) or the steering damper bracket (VII) then you can use copper line as it doesn't need to flex.
On the loop the line to cylinder head is at the same pressure so a longer bolt and an extra banjo to the head keeps it really short.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 09:54:45 AM »
Les

if you would be interested in making these pieces up as a kit you could probably sell three of them - I'm in for one if you care to go there...

Mark

BTW - nice work!

Offline Dino172

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 12:21:01 PM »
It has two wire's it came with the bike from the dealer. I suppose it's a Moto Guzzi part number. I would even say that probably the old one part# 643090. Now I think Moto Guzzi has a new part# with only one wire soo, I'm a little confused.

This

goodwill sequim
17 V7 III Stone

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 04:02:55 PM »
What bike?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

LesP

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 05:11:32 PM »
It has two wire's it came with the bike from the dealer. I suppose it's a Moto Guzzi part number. I would even say that probably the old one part# 643090. Now I think Moto Guzzi has a new part# with only one wire soo, I'm a little confused.

This

goodwill sequim

If I had to guess what that part was I would say some form of temperature probe, any basic oil pressure switch (motorcycle) I have seen has been a single wire basic connection. (spade / bullet / etc)

I surely would be curious to what that screws in to.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 05:18:23 PM by LesP »

LesP

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 05:54:50 PM »
Another place for the gauge is fastened to the crash bar (Loop) or the steering damper bracket (VII) then you can use copper line as it doesn't need to flex.
On the loop the line to cylinder head is at the same pressure so a longer bolt and an extra banjo to the head keeps it really short.

That was my first line of thought Roy but dismissed as to easy or logical (and somewhat out of the direct line of sight - lounge room testing)
If this version does not work out I will revisit that location.

Les

if you would be interested in making these pieces up as a kit you could probably sell three of them - I'm in for one if you care to go there...

Mark

BTW - nice work!

Mark, as much as I would like to it is not really feasible done on manual hobby machines by someone who technically has no idea what they are doing (Being a Boilermaker by trade)
The clamp bracket probably took a day to make alone.

CNC might be something else but that would have to be a project very regimented (Design/Draw/Build) unlike my fluffing around with the Eldorado.
Based on the current situation, I may never work again (Oil&Gas) so that project might have to become reality..... The idea of a machine doing the work once set in motion and moving a couch and KitchenAid espresso to the garage (9.2 m x 6.1 m) is something I could adapt to quickly.

Offline Dino172

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 09:49:06 PM »
If I had to guess what that part was I would say some form of temperature probe, any basic oil pressure switch (motorcycle) I have seen has been a single wire basic connection. (spade / bullet / etc)

I surely would be curious to what that screws in to.

Your right that is the temp sensor. I got it confused with the oil pressure sensor. Temp sensor 2 wires. Oil pressure sensor 1 wire. Dummy Me. :violent1: It Screw's into the Left-hand cylinder on a V7 III Stone.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 09:50:28 PM by Dino172 »
17 V7 III Stone

LesP

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 09:54:31 PM »
I am happy to hear that.  :thumb:

What model has a oil ? temperature gauge ?

Other wise it should be a simple snip and replacement terminal as far as the oil pressure switch.

Offline Dino172

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 10:44:46 PM »
I do have the same oil pressure gauge 1/8 npt thread. I am having a difficult time trying to convert NPT thread to Metric. In this case 1/8 NPT to  m10x1.0 Metric thread. I sure would like to use this oil pressure gauge. Anyone have online sources for me to purchase the fitting's to make this work?
17 V7 III Stone

LesP

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 10:48:17 PM »
Google search - M10-1 to 1/8 NPT adaptor returned plenty.

It depends what you what you want to do, flared hose end (male) come in a  M10-1 (or 1.25) with a flared end in metric or imperial thread hose fitting end and so.
Like this for $3.99 so a hose can be run to the gauge.

It gets a little trickier when you want a gauge and pressure (light) switch.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 10:58:13 PM by LesP »

Offline Dino172

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 10:58:35 PM »
The alloy plate you can connect both the oil pressure gauge and the stock oil pressure sensor all in one correct? That's what I'm looking for.
Otherwise, I'm just going to remove the oil pressure sensor and use the oil pressure gauge instead. Going to have to cap or bypass that wire for the sensor.

On the flare end what kind hose and fitting goes there?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 11:02:32 PM by Dino172 »
17 V7 III Stone

LesP

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 11:04:37 PM »
Yes it does but could find nothing close off the shelf.

The easiest way is to do as Roy mentioned, a double banjo at the cylinder head oil feed connection (If you have that) then you get to have both (light/gauge) with minimum work and the light should it come on might be more visible as a warning.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 11:06:55 PM by LesP »

Offline Dino172

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 11:14:55 PM »
Oil feed connection? I don't think i have that.
17 V7 III Stone

LesP

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 11:57:00 PM »
The external oil pipe/hose that goes from the engine block to each cylinder head to feed the rockers.
There is a single banjo bolt at the front of each head (On a Loop anyway) that could be replaced with a double banjo allowing an oil line to come from that pressure source.

If you have a new model bike or some other, it might have another source to tap into, where there is a will there is a way.

This one but of course in my case was sent the wrong one so it did not fit.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 12:01:00 AM by LesP »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here