Author Topic: Eldorado rear drive rebuild question  (Read 3469 times)

eldoguzzi

Eldorado rear drive rebuild question
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:00:31 PM »
I have the rear drive off the Eldo to clean and check for wear. I need to put new seals in and want to know what you guys do to remove the cage bearing race next to the small oil seal. On the living in the past site they advise to take it to a local shop to have it heated and removed. Advise from the group is welcome. What do you think??

Vasco DG

Re: Eldorado rear drive rebuild question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:13:16 PM »
Beneath the outer race there is a large bronze washer. You can take out the spacer and then use a puller under the washer. Alternatively stick it in the oven for half an hour at a couple of hundred degrees and it'll drop out. Makes the kitchen a bit stinky but.......

Pete

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:18:09 PM »
I use an (electric) heat gun or propane torch to heat the rear drive case and the outer race of the needle bearing will drop out. Greg Bender uses a toaster oven. A woodstove works too.
Charlie

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:20:16 PM »
If you knock out the axle spacer, it gives you a little more rom to work.
Joe Walano

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:20:16 PM »

eldoguzzi

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 01:02:06 PM »
I set the drive housing on a cookie sheet on top of my woodstove in the garage and in less than an hour the race dropped right out. Thank you for the suggestions.It is currently getting a final wash in the dishwasher. Of course the wife is gone today.  :wife:
I removed the small seal and now I am looking at the bearings. Is there a source to get these other than the conventional guzzi outlets? Thought there might be a crossover index or something similar.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 03:32:23 PM »
I set the drive housing on a cookie sheet on top of my woodstove in the garage and in less than an hour the race dropped right out. Thank you for the suggestions.It is currently getting a final wash in the dishwasher. Of course the wife is gone today.  :wife:
I removed the small seal and now I am looking at the bearings. Is there a source to get these other than the conventional guzzi outlets? Thought there might be a crossover index or something similar.

Mash the link:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_rear_drive_bearing_cross-references.html

If you cannot find them locally let me know and I can get them for you at cost + shipping. I can also get seals either traditional or Viton.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 04:04:14 PM »

I never replace the bearings unless they're worn, scored or otherwise non-reusable. Still have the originals in my Ambo rear drive at 107k miles.
Charlie

eldoguzzi

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 06:37:52 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it goes.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here