Author Topic: Stelvio Pre-purchase questions  (Read 7188 times)

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Stelvio Pre-purchase questions
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 05:06:33 AM »
A quick mention about the aux lights.

This too has been discussed many times here and I did experience a failure myself, 3000 miles from home. I will say though that there is much adieu about nothing in that the actual culprit is the wire coming off the bulb itself. It will rub on the interior of the housing until it rubs through and grounds out. Since it is tied to the main fuse, the bike stops when that fuse blows.

Roadside fix: Turn off lights, replace fuse, and be on your way.

Long term fix: Add insulation to the tail coming off the bulb. I used 3M fiberglass insulating tape to mine. I also have inspected them on occasion and everything has held up well. That was 2012. I have not fused the lights mainly because I decided to fix was easy and cheap. But, adding a fuse to each one is not a horrible idea by any stretch. I even prepped a couple extra bulbs for if one went out but have yet to need them. 

Yes, 5 minutes and some tape per bulb and you're in pretty good shape.

John Henry

Bonaventure

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 05:42:23 AM »
The valve check interval is 6200 miles or 6250 w/o looking it up at the moment.  To be performed with engine cold.   My 2016 the factory fueling seems fine.  After having a Multistrada with habitually failing fuel gauge I like the Stelvio's gauge which so far has been accurate and reliable.  If I were you I would try to find one closer and go make sure you can flat foot it stationary.  Bike's kind of a beast to push around in garage but mounted and moving she's fine. 

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 06:17:37 AM »
A quick mention about the aux lights.

This too has been discussed many times here and I did experience a failure myself, 3000 miles from home. I will say though that there is much adieu about nothing in that the actual culprit is the wire coming off the bulb itself. It will rub on the interior of the housing until it rubs through and grounds out. Since it is tied to the main fuse, the bike stops when that fuse blows.

Roadside fix: Turn off lights, replace fuse, and be on your way.

Long term fix: Add insulation to the tail coming off the bulb. I used 3M fiberglass insulating tape to mine. I also have inspected them on occasion and everything has held up well. That was 2012. I have not fused the lights mainly because I decided to fix was easy and cheap. But, adding a fuse to each one is not a horrible idea by any stretch. I even prepped a couple extra bulbs for if one went out but have yet to need them. 

Yes, 5 minutes and some tape per bulb and you're in pretty good shape.

John Henry

This problem is a wee bit more severe than that IMHO. 

If the aux lights short out, as they are almost sure to do, the bike does not immediately shut down.  Rather, the alternator stops charging the battery.  The battery will then continually wear down without recharging.  If you are traveling on a long trip, eventually the battery will weaken enough to not fire the ignition and the bike will stop.

Yes, at that point, if you know about the big fuse behind the side cover, you can change it.  However, your battery may be so depleted that it does not recover enough to start the bike and you are still stranded.  Additionally, if the big fuse blows and you simply replace it without addressing the cause of the fuse blowing (the lights shorting out), it most likely will also blow in quick time.

The answer, is to install additional fuses to the aux lights to prevent their shorting from blowing the big fuse. If you want to keep the stock aux lights, then you need to add substantial insulation to the internal wiring of the lamps and pull the wires back into the rubber cups of the stock aux lights as much as possible to help avert contact with the cast housing of the lamps.

The stock aux lamps are made by Hella but they are not substantially strong in their light output. Several aftermarket lamps are better made and will put out tremendously more light than the stock lamps and not have the internal wiring problems.  I prefer the Rigid, especially the heavy duty vibration absorbing versions. Don't try to go cheap if you want good lights.  See past postings.

I've not said much about the questions of this thread regarding the Stelvio (or any other Guzzi). However, my advice to the OP is to do a search of past postings and read up.

They are fantastic machines with lots of fun character that can do many things.  However, be aware of the many things attendant to owning any Guzzi and try to head off problems by sorting out the machine.

On top of that, live a good life, be kind to children and old people and go to church on Sunday.  The resulting positive karma may help you out down the road.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:41:39 AM by leafman60 »

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 10:17:34 AM »
How many dealers still have leftover Stelvios?
I noticed that you preferred to pick it at SE location, are there any left in that direction???

I don't want to jinx myself but Matthews still has a couple and a dealer in Daytona has one left.  Daytona is better for a fly and ride but if their bike is a demo or has a single test ride mile that will kill it for me.  Matthews has a bunch of Guzzi's in inventory (40+) so I assume they are a higher volume dealer and will know the bikes well.  They Daytona shop doesn't have as many which doesn't mean they don't have a great tech on hand but I'll narrow the list in early March.  I am thinking about flying out at the end of March when it starts to warm up everywhere and I'll be past the spring break crowd.

Regarding wrists, I am heading that way quicker than I would like.  I have some sort of tendonitis in the base of both thumbs that really hampers guitar playing.  If motorcycle gloves are too tight it causes constant pain.  Oh well I am 48 as of January of this year.  Better ride bikes and play guitar while I can.  It amazes me how many old geezers (apparently at least ten years on me if not more) can still ride a bike and hammer a guitar and I can barely do both it seems.  Bad genetics I guess.

NC

Edit:  Why does it seem like almost every shop has a bunch of 5 star reviews and a bunch of one star reviews as well? 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:29:52 AM by Numbercruncher »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 10:17:34 AM »

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
People only write reviews if they feel strongly and you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2018, 04:10:21 AM »
Leaf, I don't disagree with you. Nor was I saying that someone should not add fuses. In my particular instance, When the wire shorted out the main 30 amp fuse blew and the bike dies along the side of the road.

My point was that it can be an easy and inexpensive fix that should be done preemptively. As for the relative output of the lights, my needs are more in the direction of extra lights to be seen by oncoming vehicles. I prefer to be off the road after dark. OTOH, they have proven adequate when I did need them after dark. Yeah, I know there is stuff better/brighter/etc.

If I were buying a Stelvio, adding some tape to the wire leads off the bulbs would be the very first thing I would do before I rode off with my new purchase. What I decide to do long term may be different. In my case, this simple fix has held up well for 5 years now so I just haven't gone further.

On another note, and a short detour on the thread, how is The Great One doing these days??

John Henry

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2018, 07:55:49 AM »

On another note, and a short detour on the thread, how is The Great One doing these days??

John Henry

Maybe he's taken up reading motorcycle forums so we have to watch our step.   Perhaps we could hear about it in a way that he couldn't be identified ....?

On the other hand, maybe he's good with having his exploits noted.  Not everyone has a commemorative T-shirt done on their behalf and in their honor.  He's a good role model ... for some roles ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:56:35 AM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 12:23:59 AM »
I have seen several NTX where the owner removed the halogen lights and used the mounting points for road pegs. When I have asked they said they worked well. Most of them had mounted replacement lamps on the forks. This takes care of two issues. I have thought about doing this for about six years now on my 12' Stelvio but every year I start riding again and never get around to it. For me its just never been quite enough of an issue to get it done.
I did exactly this and it worked well.
I believe the dash outlet is fused at five amps, and that is all you want to put thru that wiring. There is also an outlet under the rear seat.
I recommend a Battery Tender pigtail, with fuse, directly to the battery and a Fuzeblocks.com for your accessories. Also, fuses on the aux light circuit with new lights. The wiring on the OEM aux lights short to the housing and will leave you stranded.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 12:33:27 AM »
So it looks like this bike will weigh about 600 pounds fully fueled with panniers and crash bars but without my lard arse on board or any luggage.  My 2016 BMW R1200GS supposedly only weighed about 535 pounds fully fueled but since I had 1/25" crash bars (10 to 15 pounds), skid plate (3 lbs) and panniers that had to have weighed nearly 20 pounds empty (Vario hard plastic cases).   That would make my R1200GS closer to 565 with only 5 gallons of fuel so add another 15 pounds for the extra gas and I am pretty close weight wise.

I was always pretty careful with that R1200GS and I am pretty certain the Stelvio has a seat height no higher and maybe lower so I don't think garage maneuvers will really be of much concern.  So for those of you who were maybe a little apprehensive about the bike's weight yourself, do you really even notice it any more? 

I have thought, temporarily, about an Aprilia Caponard but 8 hours to check valves including the draining and removal of the radiator doesn't sound like much fun.  The new Triumph Tiger 1200 has some cool features but the bike I sat on at the dealer felt very heavy and top heavy as well.  Hopefully the Guzzi will feel lighter to me.  The seat was pretty tall on that Triumph as well.  Ducati MTS is too street oriented and the Enduro bike has a 35" seat which is just too tall and that bike like the BMW and Triumph stickers for $25k.  I think I'll take a Stelvio at about half that.  Factory heated grips are $$ but I like the streamlined integration.  I have found a plug and play fuse solution for the lights and will take the advice to tape up the wires as well.  And I'll probably swap out the turn signal mirrors for the Euro look ones.  So all these accessories + a top case will only add about $1,000 to the bike.

I'll head to Seattle in a week's time to sit on a Stelvio and see what I think weight wise but until then have to rely on what others say.  If the bike basically feels okay that'll seal the deal and I'll start working numbers on a bike for the fly and ride.

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 04:38:33 AM »
You�ll never notice the weight while riding. It feels very nimble being as heavy as it is. I tipped the scales well over 1000 lbs when fully packed. (With my 235lbs fat ass on it)
However if you drop it, you either must use excellent technique or plain brute power. When I�m fully packed and dropped the bike, I had to remove all panniers to get it back up.

Sometimes the Stelvio enjoys short naps in woods or roadside...

I garage manouver mine by leaning into it and pushing from handlebars or pushing pannier with my body. Works quite well.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:40:32 AM by Green1000S »
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2018, 08:55:51 AM »
Regarding wrists, I am heading that way quicker than I would like.  I have some sort of tendonitis in the base of both thumbs that really hampers guitar playing.  If motorcycle gloves are too tight it causes constant pain.  Oh well I am 48 as of January of this year.  Better ride bikes and play guitar while I can.  It amazes me how many old geezers (apparently at least ten years on me if not more) can still ride a bike and hammer a guitar and I can barely do both it seems.  Bad genetics I guess.
I suffered this condition for years until it reached the point I could not pull the clutch lever with out extreme pain. I was also to the point I was dropping heavy tools due to the pain. In my case it was osteoarthritis attacking my base thumb joints, this can be repaired with a surgical procedure. Its commonly called an oyster procedure by orthopedic surgeons that specialize in hands. I had it done to both base thumb joints and have been pain free ever since. Best thing I have ever had done. I would suggest finding a good orthopedic surgeon that specializes in hands and have it checked out to see if it can be taken care of.     
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2018, 12:01:07 AM »
That may be what I am facing as the recent cortisone shots did me no good.

PM sent.

NC

I suffered this condition for years until it reached the point I could not pull the clutch lever with out extreme pain. I was also to the point I was dropping heavy tools due to the pain. In my case it was osteoarthritis attacking my base thumb joints, this can be repaired with a surgical procedure. Its commonly called an oyster procedure by orthopedic surgeons that specialize in hands. I had it done to both base thumb joints and have been pain free ever since. Best thing I have ever had done. I would suggest finding a good orthopedic surgeon that specializes in hands and have it checked out to see if it can be taken care of.   
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:08:26 AM by Numbercruncher »

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 11:27:15 AM »
I'll get a look at a Stelvio this week it looks like.  Dad is in the hospital in Seattle so I'll send the next several days visiting with him.  His health is a priority first but if I have the time to stop by Moto-International I'll take a look.

Life is precious.  Be it Dad or a Moto Guzzi you need to do the things in life you want to.  Life will end before any of us are ready to.  Be careful but take a few chances as well.

NC

twowings

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2018, 11:33:47 AM »
Wishing positive outcomes for you and your family.. :thumb:

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 11:31:00 AM »
I haven't had a chance to really learn what the Griso likes, but since it's a 2012 roller 8V like the Stelvio I expect it will be a bit more rev-happy. Let's face it, it's a big V-twin, so it's inherently a torque-oriented engine, but you will quickly, easily and pleasantly figure out what works best for your riding style.

I can tell you that Griso will happiest banging off the limiter early and often :evil:

Really, with Beatle's map there's nothing the Stelvio (or Griso) is not going to be happy doing.  It's as if someone rode the bike and determined what would be the best response in most any scenario.  Oh, that's what Mark did!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 11:31:54 AM by Dilliw »
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2019, 09:46:50 PM »
Hope all ends well re your father.  My callow advice is get the Stelvio; you will adjust to it as much as it to you (like a custom house--you cannot plan for everything, ask me how I know and I love our home 16 years later).  It's a booger under 5mph and a complete joy thereafter.  When it takes naps it likes to lie there for a while.  You curse and pace around it and when your blood pressure chills you meet new helpful people or figure out ways to gain mechanical advantage on the lazy girl.  Don't let analysis cause paralysis--it's a wonderful, top-heavy bike that will take you (almost) anywhere you like.  I'm a complete idiot and I've made it my only ride.  My wife now has more bikes than I do. (!)
Steve
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here