Author Topic: Le Mans UJ Carrier Bearing Removal Tool  (Read 3573 times)

Offline stuv65

• New Egg
Le Mans UJ Carrier Bearing Removal Tool
« on: January 25, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »
Having just about removed the circlip that holds the UJ bearing carrier in place, I was unable to use a socket to knock out the bearing as the swingarm has an indentation in it (factory standard - not damaged). So I made up my own tool. Some 10mm thread bar with a pair of nuts locked together. The biggest thick washer/spacer i could drop down the swingarm (just big enough to cover the inner race). A thick alloy disc I had knocking about supported by two thick pieces of wood jammed against the end of the swingarm. Clamp the bar in a vice and tighten down on a nut. Took quite a lot of pressure (torque?) to free the bearing but away it came!

I now have the UJ soaking in oil. One end seems ok but the other is a bit stiff (from lack of movement I guess). I didn't notice which end was in the carrier bearing (I'm assuming the stiff end)?? Once it's soaked I'll see if the ends are the same diameter.

The swingarm bearing seem fine - is it OK just to feed some grease in there? Is it worth trying to get the they rubber washers out?

cheers
stuart

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Le Mans UJ Carrier Bearing Removal Tool
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »
The swingarm bearings probably are fine, it's not like they are running 6000 rpm all the time  ;)
comma but
You're there. Why not pull them, clean and inspect, repack.  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »
Good toolmaking!   ;-T

You are describing a notched u-joint.  the stiffness is an intermediate stage of failure.  

The joint(s) need replacing.  If you're not tuned up on the procedure it's well documented in topics here.  If you don't want to do it yourself there are recommendations for folks who do good overhauls here too.

Soaking them in oil contaminates and washes out the lubricant.  Even if there was no notchy feeling you now have a reason to disassemble and inspect the crosses.  When you do you'll see the notches and the pin bearings being ground to naught.

The rubber washers are the grease seals.  Probably cannot be bought by themselves -- at least I've not found a source.

When you get the new crosses, you might think about drilling a cap end and installing a zerk plug.  You can replace the plug with a fitting next time you want to lube them.

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 02:43:18 PM »
Once it's soaked I'll see if the ends are the same diameter.

They're not, although there's only a gnat's cock's difference.
I couldn't get a new UJ to fit in my newly installed carrier bearing and was put right here, after asking the question.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 02:43:18 PM »

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 03:23:04 PM »

The rubber washers are the grease seals.  Probably cannot be bought by themselves -- at least I've not found a source.

They are actually single lip end shaft seals and are readily available at least where I work. I just replaced mine at a cost of about $3 each. Unfortunately I did not keep record of the size but it is imprinted on the outside of the seal.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here