Author Topic: V7 III Stone for a Beginner?  (Read 13479 times)

Bert Remington

Re: V7 III Stone for a Beginner?
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2020, 09:56:53 AM »
subin -- excellent point on engine temperature.  When I ride sea level to 6K in moderate temperatures, I don't feel any fueling changes.  When I go back to 2K, the engine seems to run a bit rougher although throttle response is the same.  Also does that in 100 degree city traffic.  And when I return to sea level in that heat, I've noticed more roughness going up a steep hill.  Everything back to normal the next morning.

This was before 900 miles where I kept the engine speeds low.  Now with the first service done, I'll be running higher engine speeds.  The Norge was happy there and I expect the V7 will be too.

If I encounter bothersome lean-running or overheating then I'll install a Bettlemap (I think there's one for the stock mufflers, etc).  If the secondary air has to come off then it will.

I am bothered by the one-way valve in the evaporative circuit.  The RE has the same apparently failure-prone thing.  I prefer an ECU-controlled valve.  I'm researching how something ECU-independent can be accomplished via a timer relay.  Maybe tied to engine vacuum or Neutral gear position.  Thoughts?

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2020, 02:44:38 AM »
I'll share a brief story. When I was in my late teens, I was dating a girl that I met at the department store at which we worked. I had an automatic pickup truck and she had a blue metallic manual Fiat X1/9. The Fiat was better suited for dates, so we would take her car, but I didn't know how to drive a manual and it was awkward for both of us. One night, before leaving work for a date, she taught me how to drive stick in the near empty parking lot. Henceforth, I would drive when we went on dates and everything was right with the world.

The small Italian machine was an absolute blast and still the most fun vehicle I've driven. So here I am roughly 30 years later, about to learn on an Italian machine again, that's matte blue to boot. It certainly has brought back some fond memories. The car pictured is identical to the one that I enjoyed those many years ago.

2018 V7 III Stone Azzurro Elettrico

Offline subin

• New Egg
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2020, 08:14:04 AM »
... I had an automatic pickup truck and she had a blue metallic manual Fiat X1/9...

My first car was a 1979 X1/9 that I bought in around 1988  :azn:
I have had one Harley and several different Japanese bikes after that, but some how ended with two Italian motorcycles now...
2019 V7 III Night Pack
2012 Ducati M796

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2020, 12:57:29 PM »
My first car was a 1979 X1/9 that I bought in around 1988  :azn:

Wasn't it a blast to drive?! 75 hp, 2100 lbs and the targa top removed felt fast:afro:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2020, 12:57:29 PM »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2020, 06:23:35 AM »
Wasn't it a blast to drive?! 75 hp, 2100 lbs and the targa top removed felt fast:afro:

Wild1, is that photo of you on your avatar an old G9 Matchy of Ajay?
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2020, 06:29:36 AM »

They were!  My step brother had one. Just a cool little gocart for the street!
Paul B

Offline subin

• New Egg
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2020, 08:58:04 AM »

Yep, my first car, did not know about checking tire tread depth and rotate the tires. I wore out a set of brand new Dunlap tires in 6 months :evil: :evil:
2019 V7 III Night Pack
2012 Ducati M796

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2020, 05:05:33 PM »
Wild1, is that photo of you on your avatar an old G9 Matchy of Ajay?

It's Marlon Brando wearing a Perfecto-style jacket and riding a 1950 Triumph Thunderbird 6T in the film The Wild One.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 05:12:11 PM by Wild1_OR »

Bert Remington

« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2020, 05:25:40 PM »
W1 -- I didn't know what your answer would be but I knew it would be good.  And it was! :laugh:

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2020, 05:51:03 PM »
W1 -- I didn't know what your answer would be but I knew it would be good.  And it was! :laugh:

I watched the film years ago, before I became seriously interested in riding a motorcycle, then recently watched it again and it's one of my favorite films now.

Frankly, I don't understand the meaning of G9 Matchy of Ajay. 🤷

Bert Remington

« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2020, 10:06:50 PM »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2020, 10:40:22 PM »
That ain't no T Bird.

!950-53 Matchless 500 with the flying "M" upside down on the tank.

You can see the "M" logo on the engine.  I don't think the ones we got out here had that particular one cast in the timing cover quite like that.

They used to break their cranks with monotonous regularity after they climbed up in the mileage.  The oil feed to the big ends came through a very narrow middle bearing on the crank.  The bearing wore....guess the rest! :evil:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2020, 10:58:48 PM »
That ain't no T Bird.

!950-53 Matchless 500 with the flying "M" upside down on the tank.

You can see the "M" logo on the engine.  I don't think the ones we got out here had that particular one cast in the timing cover quite like that.

They used to break their cranks with monotonous regularity after they climbed up in the mileage.  The oil feed to the big ends came through a very narrow middle bearing on the crank.  The bearing wore....guess the rest! :evil:

After recently watching the film again, I searched online and every reference that I found states it's a Triumph. This is one of many articles:

https://ceearedee.com/automotive/triumph-thunderbird-brandos-bike/

Quote: In the book Triumph Motorcycles In America, you can see a letter from Triumph’s importers complaining to the producers as to the use of their machine in this film about “rowdy motorcycle gangs”.

Bert Remington

« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2020, 11:18:53 PM »
I'm with Muzz.  That's a Matchless G9 engine.

According to https://motorbikewriter.com/matchless-back-drawing-board/ Brando rode his own Triumph for the 1953 film.

Brando apparently had a Matchless 600cc scrambler when an actor in New York.  But that picture with the upside-down M was not his motorcycle but rather belonged to stunt rider "Wally" Albright https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Albright (credited in Wild One as cyclist).

Dang Muzz that was amazing!

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2020, 11:25:20 PM »
I'm with Muzz.  That's a Matchless G9 engine.

According to https://motorbikewriter.com/matchless-back-drawing-board/ Brando rode his own Triumph for the 1953 film.

Brando apparently had a Matchless 600cc scrambler when an actor in New York.  But that picture with the upside-down M was not his motorcycle but rather belonged to stunt rider "Wally" Albright https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Albright (credited in Wild One as cyclist).

Dang Muzz that was amazing!

I understand now! I thought the picture was from the film.  :blank:

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2020, 06:07:27 AM »
Any ETA on that bike Wild1?  I'd be near to the point of hiring a buddy with a truck.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2020, 08:30:57 AM »
Any ETA on that bike Wild1?  I'd be near to the point of hiring a buddy with a truck.

Sarah

I'm getting to that point... fast! I was informed yesterday that it's been picked up from the dealership and it's currently in Las Vegas, awaiting a driver to Oregon with 30 bikes. It'll arrive by October 13th.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 08:31:34 AM by Wild1_OR »

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2020, 05:16:05 AM »
I had ordered the NZI Rolling United helmet, but it's backordered from the factory with no ETA. Therefore, I decided to purchase the Scorpion Belfast helmet in Matte Blue Metallic instead. I found an excellent price and it's a better helmet, as it has a hand-laid fiberglass shell and hand-stitched Nappa leather.

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2020, 05:23:17 AM »
You may have told us already, but how are you set on gloves, jacket and boots?

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2020, 03:16:13 PM »
You may have told us already, but how are you set on gloves, jacket and boots?

Sarah

All three are at the top of my Black Friday shopping list.  :smiley:

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2020, 05:04:48 AM »
Good!  If you don't mind used gear, you might post a Want to Buy here on Swap Meet and on the Advrider.com Flea Market.  We've bought most of our gear this way over the years.  Check out the big V7 thread on Advrider, too:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/anybody-have-a-moto-guzzi-v7.835438/

Sarah

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2020, 02:14:24 PM »
Good!  If you don't mind used gear, you might post a Want to Buy here on Swap Meet and on the Advrider.com Flea Market.  We've bought most of our gear this way over the years.  Check out the big V7 thread on Advrider, too:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/anybody-have-a-moto-guzzi-v7.835438/

Sarah

I appreciate the suggestion and I'll check them out. 👍

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2020, 03:11:59 PM »
Gloves fit pretty standard. Boots as you know vary between manufacturers. Jackets, for some reason, almost always run at least 1-2 sizes SMALLER than advertised. I’m in an Olympia jacket that is 3x and it fits me Tight. I usually wear 2x in jackets and shirts, 3x in heavy winter coats that have to go over layers. Just so you have a frame of reference. So swing by a local bike shop and try on some jackets. Don’t be fooled into thinking you’ve suddenly ballooned, it’s the cut of the jackets. They do need to be relatively form fitting so in the event of an accident they stay in place. If you must purchase online, read the reviews! Helpful souls usually post how the sizing runs.

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2020, 03:46:58 PM »
Gloves fit pretty standard. Boots as you know vary between manufacturers. Jackets, for some reason, almost always run at least 1-2 sizes SMALLER than advertised. I’m in an Olympia jacket that is 3x and it fits me Tight. I usually wear 2x in jackets and shirts, 3x in heavy winter coats that have to go over layers. Just so you have a frame of reference. So swing by a local bike shop and try on some jackets. Don’t be fooled into thinking you’ve suddenly ballooned, it’s the cut of the jackets. They do need to be relatively form fitting so in the event of an accident they stay in place. If you must purchase online, read the reviews! Helpful souls usually post how the sizing runs.

I'm digging this jacket, as it's a cross between the classic and cafe styles:

http://milwaukeeleather.com/product/mens-utility-pocket-mc-jacket-2/

:cool:

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2020, 09:31:52 AM »
I'm digging this jacket, as it's a cross between the classic and cafe styles:

http://milwaukeeleather.com/product/mens-utility-pocket-mc-jacket-2/

:cool:

That’s a nice jacket! It’s got a zip-out liner so it’ll be good for chilly weather. You can’t really go wrong with leather except in the dog days of summer. At least here in GA when it’s 95 with 500% humidity! Lol. I have a leather jacket I wear in the cooler months.

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2020, 10:06:30 AM »
That’s a nice jacket! It’s got a zip-out liner so it’ll be good for chilly weather. You can’t really go wrong with leather except in the dog days of summer. At least here in GA when it’s 95 with 500% humidity! Lol. I have a leather jacket I wear in the cooler months.

With what you mentioned, I'm a little worried that it might be a snug fit, but it would be all the more reason to stick to a diet until the Spring riding season.  :undecided:

Online john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2020, 10:47:03 AM »
With what you mentioned, I'm a little worried that it might be a snug fit, but it would be all the more reason to stick to a diet until the Spring riding season.  :undecided:

Hey, this is a family forum.  No foul language, please.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2020, 11:05:27 AM »
Hey, this is a family forum.  No foul language, please.

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2020, 04:58:21 PM »
What happened to the rest of the posts?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2020, 10:15:02 PM »
It's heeere!

My motorcycle arrived today! My first impression is that it's slightly smaller and lower than I thought - which is a good thing. I was aware of the wide seat, but it's significantly wider than I expected. I'm 5'11" and because of the seat width, I can barely get my feet flat on the ground. I gotta mention the wonderful side-to-side vibration on startup. :grin:

Is the key in the picture below OEM? I assumed it would say Motto Guzzi.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 10:16:33 PM by Wild1_OR »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here