Author Topic: leaving the fold  (Read 8205 times)

Lcarlson

Re: leaving the fold
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2016, 07:35:56 PM »
Worth noting that -- and I have not verified that this is still true -- Yamaha historically committed to maintaining parts availability for only eight years from current models.

Offline samfrank

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »
This is a very interesting thread to me. My issues with my 2013 Norge (previously mentioned in another thread) prompted my dealer to replace the motor under warranty. He had it all winter. I picked it up with my Kendon trailer in a March. On my very first ride of the season the red warning light comes on as well as the oil can symbol. Okay, back on the trailer and to the dealer. Waiting for new oil pressure sensor or sending unit. The following week I found a low mile 2015 FJR ES at what I thought was a fair price. I bought it and so far am really enjoying it! Never had an inline 4 and it runs and handles very sweetly. Only have 900 miles on it and have not experienced any ill effects whatsoever i.e. head shake. I plan on picking up my Norge when it's ready and I'll very likely put it up for sale. I'll always have my '73 Eldo!
1973 Eldorado
2013 Norge - moving to Arizona to live with John.
2015 Yamaha FJR1300

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2016, 10:06:12 PM »
Samfrank,

Sounds sort of familiar.  I am still looking at a low mileage 2014 FJR ES.  Gonna get new tires on it this week and I take it for another test ride.  It is a really sweet running machine for sure.  I miss my Norge, but had to move on after many difficult issues.  Have fun with your new ES!
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

canuguzzi

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2016, 10:22:50 PM »
Worth noting that -- and I have not verified that this is still true -- Yamaha historically committed to maintaining parts availability for only eight years from current models.

Going over a 700 Fazer, 1986 model. I went to the local Yamaha dealer and asked for the following, specifying OEM:

Radiator
Wheel bearings
Fork seals
Brake overhaul kit
Brake hoses, clutch cable cable
Various fasteners

I checked on:

Clutch parts
Cam chain and adjuster

All readily available. This for a pretty rare bike (made only two years).

Oftentimes you just order by part number instead of bike model and find they are available, readily because they were used in many models.

GM does the same thing. Cars long gone from production and you ask for a part by model name, sorry no can do. Go in and ask for part # ###### and they have it ir can get it with next delivery.

It comes down to knowing how to ask.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2016, 10:22:50 PM »

Lcarlson

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2016, 10:58:02 PM »
Going over a 700 Fazer, 1986 model. I went to the local Yamaha dealer and asked for the following, specifying OEM:

Radiator
Wheel bearings
Fork seals
Brake overhaul kit
Brake hoses, clutch cable cable
Various fasteners

I checked on:

Clutch parts
Cam chain and adjuster

All readily available. This for a pretty rare bike (made only two years).

Oftentimes you just order by part number instead of bike model and find they are available, readily because they were used in many models.

GM does the same thing. Cars long gone from production and you ask for a part by model name, sorry no can do. Go in and ask for part # ###### and they have it ir can get it with next delivery.

It comes down to knowing how to ask.

That's good to hear.

canuguzzi

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2016, 11:10:57 PM »
Sign of the times I guess. It used to be you go into the shop and the parts counter staff could order a part lickety split from memory and know how to cross reference.

These days walking in and asking about a bike that is 10 years older than the person behind the counter gets you a puzzled look. They try to be helpful but just lack reference points. Sometimes it's really funny when they realize that long before the high tech 600cc screamers there were bikes that set the foundation for what they ride.

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2016, 09:56:40 AM »
If you're riding an FJR and see someone take their hands off the bars are they run off the road and you move your head side to side, does that count as head shake?

Put cheap tires on, never check the air pressure, load all kinds of things on the bars and then as you go down the road, take your hands of the bars as the bike decelerates and it will shake.

It's trying to get rid of you, probably for good reason.

Huh?
Jerry
Florida

canuguzzi

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2016, 10:35:08 AM »
Huh?

Most headspace problems are caused by lack of maintenance amf.lack of attention to detail.

If the head shake problem was as bad as alluded to, Yamaha couldn't sell any.of them. The problem exists only for some and not most.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2016, 04:33:33 PM »
Huh?

The Kwacker was prone to headshake.

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2016, 05:25:38 PM »
The Kwacker was prone to headshake.

Of course , but apparently the Yamaha has head space issues  :shocked:

Dusty

canuguzzi

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2016, 07:56:40 PM »
Not to mention the ones riding without their hands on the bars.
 :popcorn:

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
You'll get tired of riding the appliance and come back.  Good luck though.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

backfill

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2016, 08:16:59 PM »
I own a 2007 FJR.  It is a fantastic motorcycle, best thought of as a cross-continental missile.  No soul?  You might want to rethink that when you get the rpms between 5,000 and redline.  The only problem I have with the FJR is keeping the speed to a reasonable level so that I can keep my license.  And for a large bike, it will dance effortlessly through the curves. 

In the six years I have owned it, I have never had any headshake issues (nor read anything about it on the FJR forums) and mine does not have any heat issues.  Any large powerful engine will give off heat.  The first year the FJR came out, they had some heat issues, which (if I remember correctly) Yamaha remedied by the third year of production. 

Enjoy your new ride!
Phil

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2016, 11:30:51 PM »
... best thought of as a cross-continental missile.  No soul?  You might want to rethink that when you get the rpms between 5,000 and redline.

My Yamaha FJ1100 had no soul - because it had been sold to the devil himself. Oh sweet little baby jesus... (in the voice of Ricky-Bobby).
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2016, 12:30:51 AM »
All that power and the FJR does it without requiring premium fuel. Or at least in did on my 2005, I suppose it's still the case. 150 MPH riding two-up on regular grade gasoline, wild!
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2016, 03:10:01 AM »
You'll get tired of riding the appliance and come back.  Good luck though.

Still better than the answer I got a few months ago on this very board, after leaving Guzzi (after 17 years) for Bmw.  "Good luck with your whore, you'll be back within 3 years" ;-)
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here