Author Topic: mgx-21 owners for lowering info  (Read 3078 times)

Offline tmotorguzzi

• New Egg
mgx-21 owners for lowering info
« on: April 18, 2019, 04:47:36 AM »
I need information on lowering the mgx-21 1 to 2 inches since I'm short legged,I'ts very uncomfortable holding this beast up on the arches of my feet. I noticed some owners are buying different gel type seats so maybe thats what there trying to do also. I'm looking for info on different lowering shocks and what not but cant find anything so your input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks Tom

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
Re: mgx-21 owners for lowering info
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 05:23:04 AM »
If it were me, I'd probably take the seat to a local upholsterer and have them remove  some of the front portion that puts your thighs up high.  Problem solved and simple.

I'm unaware of shorter shocks and the bike cannot be lowered at the triple trees at all.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline tmotorguzzi

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 07:02:12 PM »
Thanks so much i'll check that out!

Offline twinswin

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 05:59:02 PM »
...the bike cannot be lowered at the triple trees at all.

Why is that? I've read about the frt end weave at 80+ mph, and was wondering if anybody tried raising the deck a few mms to try and reduce the trail.

Is it a fender-oil cooler clearance issue, or something else?

Thanks. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 05:59:02 PM »

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 07:00:00 PM »
Why is that? I've read about the frt end weave at 80+ mph, and was wondering if anybody tried raising the deck a few mms to try and reduce the trail.

Is it a fender-oil cooler clearance issue, or something else?

Thanks.

Why?  Because the forks do not protrude up through the triple tree like other Guzzi's. If there's a way to lower it, I'm ignorant about it. But, I don't see a way.

FWIW, I'd love to bring my bars back about 2" more, but that aint happening either.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 07:33:36 PM »
Anything related to the MGX21 handling being "off"....it's all related to the 21" wheel/tire.  The steering was not raked hence the flop and the additional effort to get the bike off the kickstand.  If the factory had raked the neck.  They wouldn't have had to put the anti-flop damper on the bike.  Any one can correct.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline JBBenson

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 08:03:05 PM »
If you lower the rear, even a little, it can really affect the handling, most likely slowing down the steering and making it feel more vague and truck-like.

I would try a seat reupholster like others have suggested before screwing with the geometry.

Offline twinswin

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 03:14:08 AM »
Why?  Because the forks do not protrude up through the triple tree like other Guzzi's. If there's a way to lower it, I'm ignorant about it. But, I don't see a way.

FWIW, I'd love to bring my bars back about 2" more, but that aint happening either.

Oh, that's odd. Wonder why they did that, i.e. forks can't be raised through the top triple?

What about shorter springs? If you can find a set that is. EG, Race Tech linear wound springs are usually shorter than the progressively wound springs they replace, and need long spacers to make up the gap. One could always use a shorter spacer to lower the frt if the springs were shorter.

Further to the weave: does adding pre-load to the rr shocks help by raising the rr? 

Thanks.

Offline twinswin

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 03:30:46 AM »
Anything related to the MGX21 handling being "off"....it's all related to the 21" wheel/tire.  The steering was not raked hence the flop and the additional effort to get the bike off the kickstand.  If the factory had raked the neck.  They wouldn't have had to put the anti-flop damper on the bike.  Any one can correct.

I thought they steepened the rake/shortened the trail, to improve/sharpen the handling. The rake and trail specs I've seen published are that of a ST bike: MGX21: 27* rake, 4.2" trail. California 38* rake, 6" trail in comparison. Had they used the Cali specs, the frt would be even more difficult, yes?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 04:15:34 AM »

It may not be this simple but if it’s anything like the Norge setup, you could machine the register out of the top clamp and thru’ she’d go.
Also.
Does the round tube that the throttle, brake/clutch m/c clamp to, slide into the risers, or is it all one casting ?

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 08:15:45 AM »
There is a guy in the MGX facebook page that has put on a set of rear air shocks that raise and lower the rear of his MGX.

I havent had any problems with high speed instability. Maybe some sensitivity to buffeting from large vehicles, but thats due more to the fork mounted fairing.

Guzzi did change the rake of the fork and other chassis changes on the MGX. Parking lot speeds are 'different' but not bad, and the 'flop' is real, but IMO not an issue, and is overstated. At speed the handling is sublime....

The airshocks may be a good option, if you mount the controls in easy reach you could lower at stops or slow speeds for easy reach, and raise at speed to avoid dangerous handling issues.

You can do anything you want if you throw enough green backs at it....
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:37:02 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 08:21:33 AM »

The carbon fiber disk in the center of the front wheel is a contributor.  People who have removed it note better highway stability.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 02:27:52 PM »
I just checked, the air system installed on the MGX is a Legend Aero system.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 03:12:00 PM »
I thought they steepened the rake/shortened the trail, to improve/sharpen the handling. The rake and trail specs I've seen published are that of a ST bike: MGX21: 27* rake, 4.2" trail. California 38* rake, 6" trail in comparison. Had they used the Cali specs, the frt would be even more difficult, yes?

I wouldn't mess with the suspension spec's.  The seat mod is probably the best way to adjust the bike and most cost effective.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline twinswin

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 08:12:08 PM »
I wouldn't mess with the suspension spec's.  The seat mod is probably the best way to adjust the bike and most cost effective.

Old saying: "want to fix the front? fix the back."  :grin: 

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 09:17:46 PM »
Reset the ecu behind the handlebars.  :thumb:

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 09:27:33 PM »
So a funny thing happened tonight... I was out in the garage goofing around with the Isotta rear seat bracket and happened to look at the top of the triple tree. And what did my wondering eyes view?

upload image to url

Looks to me as though it is possible to lower the front of the bike. The fork caps clearly stick through the upper triple tree and there are are covers over the actual upper fork tube, but it looks like the clamps can be loosened and the tube could slide up in the triple trees. It might be more difficult because of the outer dress cover but I think it's possible.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:29:55 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 07:58:46 PM »
18" or 16" wheels & tires?   :shocked:

Offline twinswin

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 10:26:07 PM »
So a funny thing happened tonight... I was out in the garage goofing around with the Isotta rear seat bracket and happened to look at the top of the triple tree. And what did my wondering eyes view?

upload image to url

Looks to me as though it is possible to lower the front of the bike. The fork caps clearly stick through the upper triple tree and there are are covers over the actual upper fork tube, but it looks like the clamps can be loosened and the tube could slide up in the triple trees. It might be more difficult because of the outer dress cover but I think it's possible.

Are those covers or caps?

If the stanchions *will* slip through the top clamp, and if you have *a lot* of time and ambition, and wanted to try raising the deck a few mms to see if it helps with the wobble issue try this. Best way would be to support the bike so you can adjust the frt height from above of below, pull the wheel, then the tubes,  open them up, remove the springs, replace the tubes so they're a few mms above the deck, refit the wheel, then with the wheel on the ground, lower the bike the amount of max frt travel, and see if the fender flare at the back of the fender touches the oil cooler. If it does, remove the fender, remove the wheels and tubes, refit the springs, tubes, wheel, and with the deck raised a few mms, (I'd start at 5) take the bike for a ride to see if it handles any better. If so, think of an Audace fender if it will fit, or cutting away that flip/flare at the back of the fender.  c/f requires a special blade. :-)  Easy for me to give ideas..lol... :-) But it's your bike.  :bow: Do what works for you even if that means none of the above. 

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 12:18:31 AM »
Had 1 for 1 1/2 years. Based on the growing observations of owning one by others it confirms my experience with it & my 1st wife. Both are attention getting beauties but time in the relationships revealed the cost, both financially & personal compromising beyond that expected in a healthy relationship.
Both were acquired in weakened states of lust.
The MGX replacement, a left over '17 Griso, beetled & Ropered is much more satisfying.
IMO

Offline twinswin

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 06:09:10 AM »
Had 1 for 1 1/2 years. Based on the growing observations of owning one by others it confirms my experience with it & my 1st wife. Both are attention getting beauties but time in the relationships revealed the cost, both financially & personal compromising beyond that expected in a healthy relationship.
Both were acquired in weakened states of lust.
The MGX replacement, a left over '17 Griso, beetled & Ropered is much more satisfying.
IMO

Hmmm, interesting comment given that I've never owned a bike that I didn't try improving its handling through suspension/geometry tweeks which is just part of the ownership experience IMO.  :laugh:

Would swapping out the exhaust canisters to lighten the bike and make it run better and sound better, or varying tire pressures or brands of tire also be an unbearable burdens for you?  :wink:

Maybe you'd like to share more about your dissatisfaction with the MGX21 (as well as the ex wife if you'd like lol).

And yes, the MGX 21 is mostly a styling exercise with limited utility, I agree. I just don't see how the Griso is much different, in fact, it has less utility IMO. 

But, to each his own.  :grin:

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 11:13:36 AM »
Hi twinswin, you're right 1) the Griso has less utility in it's narrower niche but it's lighter weight & more agile handling is more rewarding for my sport/sport touring background.  It can also be kitted for extended travels as the MGX needs to be also. 2) We all personalize our bikes.
Each bike purchase is a personal choice. As stated, my MGX purchase was in a weakened state of lust.
To answer; I didn't care for the handling, slow or the higher speed weaving, it's weight, excessive electronics I would never utilize, poor radio sound (tho rarely used), marginal utility.
I usually do extensive research before purchasing a bike. Didn't. It's on me. Just wasn't a match.

FWI, Freedom Performance Exhaust used mine to fabricate a full or slip-on system that lessens weight & sounds really nice in many riders opinions that have heard it. They're out of LA.

The MGX is a beautiful, daring, unique motorcycle. I wish I would have liked it more.
I hope you & other MGX riders enjoy many safe miles together.

Offline twinswin

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 09:10:15 PM »
Hi twinswin, you're right 1) the Griso has less utility in it's narrower niche but it's lighter weight & more agile handling is more rewarding for my sport/sport touring background.  It can also be kitted for extended travels as the MGX needs to be also. 2) We all personalize our bikes.
Each bike purchase is a personal choice. As stated, my MGX purchase was in a weakened state of lust.
To answer; I didn't care for the handling, slow or the higher speed weaving, it's weight, excessive electronics I would never utilize, poor radio sound (tho rarely used), marginal utility.
I usually do extensive research before purchasing a bike. Didn't. It's on me. Just wasn't a match.

FWI, Freedom Performance Exhaust used mine to fabricate a full or slip-on system that lessens weight & sounds really nice in many riders opinions that have heard it. They're out of LA.

The MGX is a beautiful, daring, unique motorcycle. I wish I would have liked it more.
I hope you & other MGX riders enjoy many safe miles together.

Thanks for the feedback on you MGX21 experience.   :thumb:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here