Author Topic: Zundap Scooter  (Read 678 times)

canuck750

Zundap Scooter
« on: June 25, 2019, 09:37:42 PM »
1962 Zundapp Bella Scooter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Other-Makes-ZUNDAPP-BELLA-R205/183861243377?hash=item2acefbedf1:g:VAkAAOSwQhNdEqrN

This is one unique machine, some very nice details, the fold up passenger floor boards, the bag hooks at the headstock to name a couple, love it!

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
Re: Zundap Scooter
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 11:16:47 PM »
Very cool.  The German scooters of that time were impressive machines.  Not sporty and nimble as the Italian Vespas and Lambrettas, but solidly built, good for touring and travel, and fitted with electric start and other amenities.  I was into scooters for a while, and had some German ones.  I never did get one of these Zundapp Bellas, although it was on my list if I ever had a good chance at one.

I did have (indeed still own) a 1960 Heinkel Tourist, and a 1962 Maico Maicoletta.

The Heinkel is a tank.  It weighs about 320 lbs, and is kind of slow off the line, but will cruise at 65mph all day long.  It is well streamlined, gets about 90mpg, and has almost 3 gallons of tank, so it has a range of about 250 miles, and is comfortable enough to ride that long.  It has a 175cc OHV pushrod 4-stroke single that puts out about 10hp, 4-speed handshift (like a Vespa) transmission, electric start, and 12v electrical system, by using two 6v batteries wired in series.  In the pictures below, it is the one with the 10" wheels and the full coverage "dustbin" type fairing.

The Maico is a highway bike.  It will do 75+, with a 275cc 2-stroke single that puts out more than 15hp, 4-speed foot shift, electric start, but only a 6v electrical system.  It has a cable-operated gear indicator in the speedometer; when you step on the shift, the number in the dashboard changes.  It also has an 8-day windup clock in the dash.  And 14-inch wheels.

PhilB

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 11:18:22 PM by PhilB »

canuck750

Re: Zundap Scooter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 09:19:42 AM »
Very cool.  The German scooters of that time were impressive machines.  Not sporty and nimble as the Italian Vespas and Lambrettas, but solidly built, good for touring and travel, and fitted with electric start and other amenities.  I was into scooters for a while, and had some German ones.  I never did get one of these Zundapp Bellas, although it was on my list if I ever had a good chance at one.

I did have (indeed still own) a 1960 Heinkel Tourist, and a 1962 Maico Maicoletta.

The Heinkel is a tank.  It weighs about 320 lbs, and is kind of slow off the line, but will cruise at 65mph all day long.  It is well streamlined, gets about 90mpg, and has almost 3 gallons of tank, so it has a range of about 250 miles, and is comfortable enough to ride that long.  It has a 175cc OHV pushrod 4-stroke single that puts out about 10hp, 4-speed handshift (like a Vespa) transmission, electric start, and 12v electrical system, by using two 6v batteries wired in series.  In the pictures below, it is the one with the 10" wheels and the full coverage "dustbin" type fairing.

The Maico is a highway bike.  It will do 75+, with a 275cc 2-stroke single that puts out more than 15hp, 4-speed foot shift, electric start, but only a 6v electrical system.  It has a cable-operated gear indicator in the speedometer; when you step on the shift, the number in the dashboard changes.  It also has an 8-day windup clock in the dash.  And 14-inch wheels.

PhilB

Thanks for posting the pictures, you have some great scoots!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here