Author Topic: Afterfiring - inconsistent but persistent  (Read 5830 times)

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Afterfiring - inconsistent but persistent
« on: June 26, 2019, 11:26:54 AM »
It does it when the weather is warm, it does it when it is cool.

It does it at high speeds, it does it at low speeds.

But it doesn't do it all the time ...

Yes, it's another episode of Bassa Talk, where I think out loud and pray for brains.

Should I be looking at exhaust pipe to muffler connections? Exhaust pipe to cylinder head gaskets? Or is there a deeper, darker, more evil explanation?

And what about Naomi?

:weiner:
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Afterfiring - inconsistent but persistent
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 11:58:03 AM »
Yes..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 12:21:25 PM »
Whats the load and throttle position?, for instance trailing throttle, steady throttle slight downhill or pulling hard third gear 6k rpm
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »
On decelleration - throttle backed off.

If it's any clue, it used to do it only at low speeds, but it's willing to do it at high speeds now if it's in the mood.

:sad:
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 01:00:41 PM »
That, combined with your terrible fuel economy, says it is running rich to me. Have you hooked up GuzziDiag yet?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 01:14:56 PM »
I have a query in to my local benefactor re that, but this is not an auspicious weekend for many people ... I'll have to wait and see.

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 01:22:56 PM »
 It's either too rich , too lean , has an exhaust leak , or is broken . Hope that clears it up Norm .

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 01:45:36 PM »
I feel so much better now that I know what to look for - I'll take it all apart this weekend and fix the problem/s

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 02:09:20 PM »
On decelleration - throttle backed off.

If it's any clue, it used to do it only at low speeds, but it's willing to do it at high speeds now if it's in the mood.

:sad:

In order for it to ignite beyond the cylinder, adequate oxygen must be present to facilitate combustion of residual fuel in exhaust gases.  If it was my bike, I would check & tighten all exhaust connections and for cracks as mentioned before chasing more complicated fuel/tuning issues.  If it's getting worse, it's probably getting more loose..   

This situation is usually caused by loose exhaust nuts/bolts/clamps/studs and bad exhaust gaskets.  Once everything is known to be properly tightened and sealed, then you can pursue other concerns.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 02:18:54 PM »
A new engine can stand a leaner mixture than a broken in engine. I'll look for the reference
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 02:24:03 PM »
I have spare exhaust collar gaskets -

Perhaps I'll start the trouble shooting by swapping out the stock Bassa instrument console for one from a Jackal.

No, seriously, I have one I've been waiting to install.

:popcorn:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 02:54:33 PM »
What Norman has failed to mention is he is getting around 25 mpg. Normally ( :grin:) a guy would think exhaust leak, but fixing that just might be covering up the symptom rather than fixing the cause.
Obviously, for whatever reason, it's running pig rich. I would be surprised if you couldn't smell it. What say, Norman?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 03:24:53 PM »

A)  Jerry Riopelle has Naomi under control.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W91RrF6NLN8

B) If it's not mechanical maybe time for a Beetle map?

Keep us posted on Bassa Talk channel

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 03:50:33 PM »
What Norman has failed to mention is he is getting around 25 mpg. Normally ( :grin:) a guy would think exhaust leak, but fixing that just might be covering up the symptom rather than fixing the cause.
Obviously, for whatever reason, it's running pig rich. I would be surprised if you couldn't smell it. What say, Norman?

Well, the ends of the sound reducing cans definitely have some black carbon buildup you can wipe out readily with a fingertip, but I'd expect that in anything that's not my old Eldo.

As for smelling it, the thing is that I'm above and ahead of the exhaust fumes when I go down the freeway. I guess I could ask the guy behind me  :smiley:

[RinkRat II], Beetle sent me a map yesterday - I don't know how to use it yet but Aaron and I will figure it out soon.

Frankly, I would remap it if only to know for sure what it's got on it. Unless we hook up Guzzi Diag and get an identifier that makes you guys go " Oh, don't change THAT, that map is a collectors item ! "
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 03:53:23 PM by normzone »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 03:55:16 PM »
When you tighten down the exhaust header use caution , everyone says make all connections tight but you don’t want to snap off one of the studs or you’ll really be in the deep sh__
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 04:03:31 PM »
Yeah, I imagine there's a torque spec someplace, but I'd begin with a conservative hand - as I recall I put a wrench to them once and felt no need to tighten them. Of course, that was a couple of years ago.

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 04:04:12 PM »
If running that fat (bunch) you'll smell it right in the shop sitting there running!

:-)
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 04:33:25 PM »
My first thought was that you had eaten too many beans.

Then I read the thread.  Sorry. :embarrassed:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 06:49:18 PM »
Has the bike always gotten 25mpg?  If not (and it used to get 38-40mpg) would one want to remap the bike's ecu without knowing what (mechanically) has caused the dramatic decrease in mpg? Or first look for the mechanical issue causing low mileage?

Just asking.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

beetle

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 07:12:46 PM »
Has the bike always gotten 25mpg?  If not (and it used to get 38-40mpg) would one want to remap the bike's ecu without knowing what (mechanically) has caused the dramatic decrease in mpg? Or first look for the mechanical issue causing low mileage?

This.
Worthy of a 'like', if only such a button existed....

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 07:19:26 PM »

Just asking.

Right. There is something basically *wrong* here. We, collectively, need to ferret it out.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 07:34:22 PM »
Right. There is something basically *wrong* here. We, collectively, need to ferret it out.

I agree , and using the *start with the simplest thing* concept , start with checking the spark plugs , wires , valve lash , air cleaner , etc . The stock mapping shouldn't be too off on that series .

Dusty

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 08:06:49 PM »
This is a 99?  Where does the engine heat sensor come from?  The left valve cover like the '98?  Or the right cylinder head?  If the latter, the sensor can become loose or break.  If so, the heat signal will never be adequate and the computer will always run it very rich as if startup cold.  The right side cylinder head sensor is in a plastic body and gets brittle and breaks.  There is an all-metal improved replacement.  Add some thermal paste to ensure proper heat transfer to the sensor.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »
Thank you Patrick - did that long ago, put a new sensor and the brass fitting with thermal paste and even after reading the LONG thread re the subject decided to amuse myself by making a copper spring to load the space between the end of the sensor and the bottom of the threaded hole - it had no effect.

I bought the bike and was dismayed to get forty couple mpg on the first tank leaving Tucson for San Diego, and it went down to the low thirties shortly thereafter, then settled in the high twenties where it has performed for the last couple of years.

I'll do the valves and plugs this weekend, but that's been done by the numbers since I bought the bike in early '14.

Sean Fader has set the TPS early on, and again after my clutch/drive train work.

Perhaps the fact that the chickens I'm sacrificing are free range is the problem.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 08:51:42 PM »
Free-range chickens will get you everytime...  :drool:
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 08:57:51 PM »
That needs fixing, way too much fuel. What have you done to that poor machine, Norm?  It's defiantly time for a troubleshooting contest :grin:
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 10:40:37 PM »
My logbook says that when I do valves, plugs, and air filter this weekend I'll be doing it approximately 250 miles ahead of schedule.

I'll eval the exhaust gaskets and pipes/mufflers joints and take action as appropriate. I have spare gaskets and nuts for the pipe / head junctions.

With some luck Aaron and I will Guzzi Diag next weekend.

But you may as well keep your thinking caps on, because short of the Guzzi Diag I've done all that many times over.

Oh yeah, and ohm out the high tension wires ...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 10:41:28 PM by normzone »

pete roper

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 01:39:03 AM »
I really think it's worth checking the TPS voltage and setting it from scratch with the 150mv fully closed method and then opening the butterflies to whatever the correct setting is, (450mv? Can't remember offhand.) do this with a multimeter, not Guzzidiag, it's not accurate enough. Also check for a smooth, un-stepped increase in the TPS value as the twistgrip is opened.

The suggestion about the ETS holder being cracked is also sage. No matter how rich it's running though I feel that this may be spark related, maybe it's 8/12/16 stroking? That will give symptoms similar to 'Rich' and give serious backfiring problems on the over-run. Perhaps the phase sensor gap is a bit too large and as the sensor deteriorates with age it's creating problems.

Pete

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 02:13:13 AM »
That needs fixing, way too much fuel. What have you done to that poor machine, Norm?  It's defiantly time for a troubleshooting contest :grin:
Defiantly..?

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »
Defiantly..?

Absolutely it's the only way.  We've seen it before here, the author claimed spell check did it but we know he was lying.  I hope it wasn't me!
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here