Author Topic: The more you look, the more you find wrong... throttle cable.  (Read 441 times)

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
Background... I got this bike in Dec, and I hadn't rode it first...  So Ive been going through it, getting it running better, and keep finding things.  So it has free flowing mufflers, and open airbox.. Clearly ran like it was not fueling right..  Ive been going through it all, making all the adjustments and have it running good..  Kinda..  So now my idle speed is too high..  So Im going back to the TPS, TB setup procedure and I was checking to make sure the fast idle wasn't engaged..  So as Im checking I found that the second return cable to the twist grip was so loose the feral was out of the bracket!!!  So far Ive found the TPS way out of adjustment, the balance all off [had way too low idle when I got it] and now this.. So im guessing whoever did all the mods just adjusted a lot of shit blindly to get it running right!!  OK, so that being said...   I cant find a adjustment procedure for a 02 California throttle cables..  Right now I adjusted them so I have just a tiny bit of slack on the pull...  and a little extra on the return. Is there any spec?? 

All in all every change I make makes me love this bike more!!!  Going to redo the TPS, and TB balance now, and get some miles on it with the new map I loaded into it.. 
Paul B

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Re: The more you look, the more you find wrong... throttle cable.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 04:58:47 PM »
Sounds like you have adjusted them right. The only thing I would check is if the butterflies are fully opening. If not, the return cable may be too tight.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 05:33:27 PM »
Sounds like you have adjusted them right. The only thing I would check is if the butterflies are fully opening. If not, the return cable may be too tight.

Tom

Ill check that..

All in all Im happy. I reset the TPS, and re balanced the TB's.. Idle speed is down to between 1090-1120 rpm...  so Im happy with that. Baby steps!! 
Paul B

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 06:09:25 PM »
 :thumb:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 06:09:25 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here