Author Topic: 1971 Ambassador revival  (Read 15509 times)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: 1971 Ambassador revival
« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2023, 08:38:51 PM »
Charlie, I wonder how you can tell that the choke is on in the first 30 sec. video?

From the sound - it's kind of "chugging" versus running smoothly.

Thanks so much for all your help Charlie, I'm feeling close to actually giving it a ride!  :bow: If you or anyone else can spare 3 minutes here's a longer video where you can see me playing with choke. I'm curious if you have any tuning tips, and/or should I check the timing? I don't have a timing light, but could buy one if needed. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/-4X_O0AjrVg

You really should have a timing light to set the timing more accurately. A suitable one is less than $30.
Charlie

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2023, 12:37:23 PM »
Good thread!

:popcorn:
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #182 on: April 22, 2023, 03:43:21 PM »
Only Charlie would know that.  Guzzi heart doctor!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2023, 09:51:58 PM »
OK thanks Charlie and everyone, I'm going to get a timing light this week and give it a go. Another question: aside from the solo seat on MGcycle.com are there any other good options for a solo seat. I kind of like the thinner profile, more molded ones I have seen but not sure.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2023, 09:51:58 PM »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #184 on: April 23, 2023, 10:12:00 PM »
OK thanks Charlie and everyone, I'm going to get a timing light this week and give it a go. Another question: aside from the solo seat on MGcycle.com are there any other good options for a solo seat. I kind of like the thinner profile, more molded ones I have seen but not sure.

I like the seat that Harper's sells.
https://www.harpermoto.com/solo-seat-v700-ambassador-eldorado.html
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #185 on: April 23, 2023, 10:37:00 PM »
Yes I'm considering that one. I also like this one, I'm wondering if I can get it attached without too much hassle?
https://richphillipscycles.com/black-leather-diamond-pleat-fade-tractor-seat/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 10:37:21 PM by demet »

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2023, 07:58:57 AM »
I like the seat that Harper's sells.
https://www.harpermoto.com/solo-seat-v700-ambassador-eldorado.html

Me too!  Hey, anyone got a used one for sale cheap before I blow all the kid's inheritance??!! :laugh:
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2023, 08:00:31 AM »
Yes I'm considering that one. I also like this one, I'm wondering if I can get it attached without too much hassle?
https://richphillipscycles.com/black-leather-diamond-pleat-fade-tractor-seat/

Since they don't show an underside photo, it's hard to tell how hard it will be to mount it.

There's always the Harley police solo seat reproductions on ebay. They mount up fairly easily.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353160537108
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2023, 07:45:00 PM »
OK I've been researching checking the timing with a timing light, but I think I have a problem: the tachometer does not appear to be working. Needle doesn't move at all with the engine running, even if I rev it up a little. Does this rule out using a timing light?

Should I do static timing for now? https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_ignition_timing.html
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 07:53:01 PM by demet »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #189 on: April 25, 2023, 08:42:40 PM »
Having a non-working tach doesn't rule out using a timing light. You might find one in your price range that has a tach built in.

Static timing is a good place to start.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2023, 07:49:50 PM »
OK I bought a timing light with tach. Was trying to check timing, seemed off, at 1200rpm was at mark #2 not #3, so I loosed distributor and moved it, but didn't get far before bike wouldn't start again, and no spark. Checked point gap and it seemed too open now, so I reset it, and put distributor back together. Now have spark and bike will start, might have been points or maybe I did not have distribuotr seated properly.

In any case new issue: fuel dripping from left side muffler?! See picture, it's more than a few drops. Maybe from all the cranking I did when bike wouldn't start? I let it run a few minutes to see if it stopped but it didn't seem to be so I shut it off. 5 minutes later still a drip every 15-20 seconds. What to do?

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2023, 08:18:10 PM »
I’d start by checking the float and needle valve for sticking open letting fuel overflow. Sometimes you can rap on the bowl and it’ll stop.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #192 on: May 01, 2023, 02:48:06 PM »
OK thanks, I'll open up the float bowl and see what's up. That makes me nervous, is it very un/common to have that much fuel in muffler??

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #193 on: May 01, 2023, 03:57:10 PM »
You might want to check the oil level in the engine to make sure gas hasn't flowed past the carbs into the crankcase.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #194 on: May 02, 2023, 05:19:48 PM »
Thanks Charley, indeed oil level high and smelling of gas. I drained it. Opened carb bowl but not sure what I'm looking for. Any specific part I can check and how?
https://youtube.com/shorts/t6LKwzX_ekw?feature=share

You might want to check the oil level in the engine to make sure gas hasn't flowed past the carbs into the crankcase.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #195 on: May 03, 2023, 08:00:19 AM »
Thanks Charley, indeed oil level high and smelling of gas. I drained it. Opened carb bowl but not sure what I'm looking for. Any specific part I can check and how?
https://youtube.com/shorts/t6LKwzX_ekw?feature=share

A few things to check:
1. floats: do they "slosh" when shaken due to gas inside? If not, good.
2. float needles: black tip (bad) or orange tip (good)?

The float needle seats are non-removable in Loop VHBs, so I use a Q-Tip chucked up in my drill, with a little fine valve grinding compound applied to the Q-Tip, to polish the seats.

Float levels need to be correctly set (23.5-24.5 mm).
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #196 on: May 03, 2023, 10:57:33 PM »
No slosh in the floats, but the float needle tips are black, see picture. Right side also black. So replace them?

Anything I need to do other than add back 3 quarts engine oil? Does the gas in the engine block cause any damage? Will remove oil pan tomorrow, and replace gasket, which arrived today.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #197 on: May 04, 2023, 08:40:22 AM »
No slosh in the floats, but the float needle tips are black, see picture. Right side also black. So replace them?

Anything I need to do other than add back 3 quarts engine oil? Does the gas in the engine block cause any damage? Will remove oil pan tomorrow, and replace gasket, which arrived today.

Yes, replace the float needles.

Hopefully the diluted oil mixture didn't cause any damage to the engine. I'd fill it as usual, but change it "short" - after about 500 miles.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #198 on: May 04, 2023, 02:23:57 PM »
OK will do thanks. Frustrating to not yet be riding it, but hey I'm learning a lot, and it's raining out anyway haha!

Question about replacing spark plugs/wires. They seem OK but I think I'll replace them anyway, just so I know what I have. Are these plug wires from MG Cycle Ok to use:
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=41

I'm assuming I need to replace the caps as well? These are OK?
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3004

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2023, 07:20:06 PM »
OK will do thanks. Frustrating to not yet be riding it, but hey I'm learning a lot, and it's raining out anyway haha!

Question about replacing spark plugs/wires. They seem OK but I think I'll replace them anyway, just so I know what I have. Are these plug wires from MG Cycle Ok to use:
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=41

I'm assuming I need to replace the caps as well? These are OK?
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3004

Good plug wire, but plug caps without metal shields. I found that those can short out when it rains. If you can find them, I'd recommend NGK LB05F (resistor) caps with non-resistor plugs (such as NGK BP6ES or Denso W20RP-U).
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #200 on: May 14, 2023, 07:11:55 PM »
OK I got the new float needles installed, in polished seats. Hope that stops the gasoline from going every which way lol! New plug wires and caps installed.

Any tips on separating the oil pan from the engine block? 14 bolts removed, but before I try some force want to make sure there's nothing I'm missing. Thanks!

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #201 on: May 14, 2023, 09:21:15 PM »
OK I got the new float needles installed, in polished seats. Hope that stops the gasoline from going every which way lol! New plug wires and caps installed.

Any tips on separating the oil pan from the engine block? 14 bolts removed, but before I try some force want to make sure there's nothing I'm missing. Thanks!

That's all the bolts there is on a stock Loop. Put something soft under the pan (old towel, etc.), slip a pry bar between the oil drain plug and engine bellhousing and pry down. The pan should pop off. Have fun scraping the old gasket off.  :wink:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 08:21:29 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2023, 07:34:38 PM »
OK got it off without too much trouble. Yeah, getting the old gasket off was fun haha, and there was this sealant/caulk spooged around everywhere. How clean do I need to get the two sides? I'm down to the point where even a brass wire brush doesn't touch what's left, it's more like discoloration of the metal I think. I did get the sealant out of the bolt holes that is seen in the picture.

And the gasket I bought has some additional bits to toward the inside that does not seem relevant to my bike, should I just cut that stuff off? Planning to smear gasket with auto grease then bolt on. Do I need to use torque wrench? Spec?

free image hosting

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #203 on: May 16, 2023, 09:09:06 PM »
OK got it off without too much trouble. Yeah, getting the old gasket off was fun haha, and there was this sealant/caulk spooged around everywhere. How clean do I need to get the two sides? I'm down to the point where even a brass wire brush doesn't touch what's left, it's more like discoloration of the metal I think. I did get the sealant out of the bolt holes that is seen in the picture.

And the gasket I bought has some additional bits to toward the inside that does not seem relevant to my bike, should I just cut that stuff off? Planning to smear gasket with auto grease then bolt on. Do I need to use torque wrench? Spec?

free image hosting

Looks clean enough.

Cut the unnecessary bits off, the gasket is made for oil filter engines. Grease is good. You don't absolutely need a torque wrench, but it's not a bad idea. 84 inch pounds/7 ft. lbs.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #204 on: May 22, 2023, 01:48:03 PM »
Thanks a million, I would be lost without your help! Got oil pan reinstalled and fresh oil in. Need to put air filter/battery back in and see if it will start, then try again with timing light I bought.

Regarding the fuel in the engine, how confident are you that it was the float needles? I noticed in Guzziology he mentions black and red tipped float needles as just two variants. Is he wrong about that, do the red ones turn black when bad? Just curious if there's anything else I should look for that could have caused fuel to get into the engine, before cranking again?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #205 on: May 22, 2023, 05:21:43 PM »
Thanks a million, I would be lost without your help! Got oil pan reinstalled and fresh oil in. Need to put air filter/battery back in and see if it will start, then try again with timing light I bought.

Regarding the fuel in the engine, how confident are you that it was the float needles? I noticed in Guzziology he mentions black and red tipped float needles as just two variants. Is he wrong about that, do the red ones turn black when bad? Just curious if there's anything else I should look for that could have caused fuel to get into the engine, before cranking again?

Leaking float needles (can also be a bad sealing surface on the seats) is the most common cause of gas in the oil. Can be combined with leaky petcocks and floats filling with gas for the "perfect storm". IIRC, the black tip on the old float needles was Buna-N (not Ethanol resistant), the red/orange tips are Viton (which is). I've never seen a red one turn any color, even after sitting in old stinky gas for a few years.
Charlie

czakky82

« Reply #206 on: May 22, 2023, 06:49:35 PM »
Although I can’t take credit for this move. I use a polishing compound on the valve orifice on a q-tip.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #207 on: May 22, 2023, 07:16:51 PM »
Although I can’t take credit for this move. I use a polishing compound on the valve orifice on a q-tip.

The float needle seats are non-removable in Loop VHBs, so I use a Q-Tip chucked up in my drill, with a little fine valve grinding compound applied to the Q-Tip, to polish the seats.

Charlie

Offline bobbyfromnc

• Gosling
    • Bobby Writes
« Reply #208 on: May 25, 2023, 11:33:44 AM »
Great Thread!

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #209 on: June 10, 2023, 06:43:33 PM »
OK well I had it running yesterday for a minute, then came back today at it wouldn't crank. Have noticed whiff of smoke from starter sometimes when it won't start. So was checking connectors and this one broke in my hand. I think it goes from starter solenoid to the kill switch. This connector looks specialized? Can I just cut it, strip the end and use an electrical connector that fits? Or do I need some specialized electrical connector? Thanks. Hoping this was my culprit in no crank.

upload

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here