Author Topic: Lane Splitting in Texas  (Read 9208 times)

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero

dilligaf

Re: Lane Splitting in Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »
 :+1 however I do not agree with the helmet requirement.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 01:41:16 PM »
I work in New Orleans and see a number of riders who use this technique. The cagers here generally don't seem to mind, but riders take chances with a population that is not accustomed to the practice. Me? I just leave a little earlier and try to maintain as much space between me and the cars as possible...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

lucydad

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »
Cloud,

Honestly don't know what to think.  Local big truck cagers likely would take stern offense to being weaved and left behind at a light?  Likely would never see the bike anyway.

It will be interesting to see if the bill passes.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:04:08 PM »
:+1 however I do not agree with the helmet requirement.  :BEER:
Matt

The bill does not require m/c's to split lanes.  It's an option under certain conditions.  One of those conditions is wearing a helmet.  You are still free to ride stupidly with regards to your headgear.  You just can't lane split without one.  So the helmet thing still falls under rider choice.  With that logic I don't have a problem with the requirement.

dilligaf

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 04:09:06 PM »
Back in the day I had a guy from New Zealand working  for me who was unaware land splitting was illegal.  We got into the habit of following John and never had any problems.  But then we were a lot younger and invincible.  Also our motorcycles were quite.  In South Carolina, just having to share the road with someone seems to piss some people off.  I can't make it work for that reason. But I wish we could find a way.  Why have a motorcycle, especially a small light weight one if you have to just sit in traffic when there is plenty of room. Just doesn't make sense.   :BEER:
Matt  

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 06:57:59 PM »
Cloud,

Honestly don't know what to think.  Local big truck cagers likely would take stern offense to being weaved and left behind at a light? 

Yes, that's a common trait of "men" with tiny, insufficient wedding tackle who are compensating for their lack (or perceived lack) of such with a giant pickup (present company excluded of course) .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »
At least one state is actually building some common sense into their motorcycling law. I find it quite nice as well that they're even rewarding the practice for those who like to ride safely rather than be "rebels without a cause". Riding without a helmet is possibly the single stupidest thing you can do to yourself.

It'd be great to see California make a move towards defining it better and then other states might follow suit. We already have other states challenging anachronistic viewpoints. I'd love to be able to keep my bike cooling while riding in rush hour traffic too, it hurts me to let the bike get as hot as it does.

Vasco DG

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 04:14:10 AM »
Both NSW and the ACT have recently adopted new legislation that allows lane splitting in stopped or near stopped traffic. There has been a campaign of radio ads in Canberra explaining the change and portraying it as beneficial to all. I was I have to admit surprised.

I've started doing it in the admittedly rare Canberra snarl-ups with no mega-agressive or plain dumb repercussions so far but I haven't tried riding at night when all the fuquetards come out to play.

Pete

Offline AMGeneral

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 04:40:29 AM »
Legal or not, no f'n way I'm lane splitting with all the texting, distracted, pushy, blind drivers in this country!
2000 Jackal 62,900

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

"Just think how stupid the average person is,
and then realize that half of them
are even stupider!"
--George Carlin

dilligaf

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 07:09:03 AM »
Not only that but didn't we just have an indicant where a young lady blew her horn because someone dared to passed her.  :wife: When the shoot out was over the girls mother had been killed. I think lane splitting would be of benefit to all.  I know things like that are somewhat rare  and get a lot of attention in the media but ....... :BEER:
Matt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
Not only that but didn't we just have an indicant where a young lady blew her horn because someone dared to passed her.  :wife: When the shoot out was over the girls mother had been killed. I think lane splitting would be of benefit to all.  I know things like that are somewhat rare  and get a lot of attention in the media but ....... :BEER:
Matt

I suspect we'll find out that there's more to this incident than "road rage" ... the people involved were neighbors, and after everyone got home from driving, they "heeled" themselves and went back out hunting for someone to kill ... after the second round, someone finally got hit and died.    Sounds more like hopped-up trailer trash than what we think of as "road rage", although I'm not sure any trailers were involved. 

Lannis

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 12:01:37 PM »
lane splitting will be much safer once there is a law and accompanying education among the cage driving public.  Of course, it won't eliminate road rage but should alleviate the problem of self-empowered vigilante drivers trying to run us over.  And the eliminate the police from issuing tickets in place of using their common sense. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:04:04 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 10:35:57 PM »
I dunno.  Got mixed feelings on this.  I can't see it doing much more than po'ing a bunch of frustrated cage drivers and it won't be long before some idiot decides to share my lane since I'm using so little of it. 
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

kirby1923

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 10:52:55 PM »
Good greif guys, I've been filtering in CA for 40 years with some of the most aggressive drivers around and in some of, if not the worse, traffic in the USA and have never encountered any aggression or pissed off people. (a little startled now and then).
I visit Texas, Arkansas regularly and NEVER set in traffic.
In Europe people expect moto's to filter. (same as in CA)

It can be done safely if done properly.

You don't know what your missing, try before knocking it in the head.

mike
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:04:50 PM by kirby1923 »

F650RIDER

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 12:31:29 AM »
Kirby1923, with a couple of exceptions that's been my experience here in SoCAL as well.  People seem to be used to it and will even move over to let me by.  Btw, I only lane split when traffic is stopped or crawling at 5 to 10mph.

beetle

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 01:25:54 AM »
I don't do it. I think it's rude. Please don't flame me!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 07:30:10 AM »
I don't do it. I think it's rude. Please don't flame me!

I'd do it if it were legal.   Why do you think it is "rude"?   They're very sensitive to "rude" in the UK and it's standard, expected, legal practice  .... ?

Lannis

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 12:06:22 PM »
I lane split on the freeways if traffic is slow or stopped and on the surface streets to get to the front of the lights. Never had any issues except one time on PCH. There was this parade of dodge chargers. I filter thru to the front, but on of the cars tried to block me as I was going. I still made it thru but he lost a mirror in the process. I know he was pissed because he got out and wanted to chase me, the light turned green and I hadn't seen him since. My handle bars had a little scratch.

99 % of the population here will give you space, you have a few who I think just get jealous when you don't wait in traffic and they do.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 12:13:51 PM »
I used to do it all the time.  just natural reaction.  I stopped when I learned it was illegal.  I did have a few folks try to cut me off.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 03:46:19 PM »
Living in the UK, I will "filter" whenever the opportunity arises and it's safe to do so as it's legal and generally expected. My understanding of what constitutes lane splitting may be different to yours and is not what I would call filtering. To me, "filtering" is filtering to the front of a stationary or slow moving traffic queue probably at no more than say 25MPH. Lane splitting is riding at speed between two lanes of fast moving traffic. Once traffic speeds have increased so that vehicles are no longer queuing the police can view lane splitting as a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre. A friend was pulled for going up "death alley" at 70mph (at least) between two lanes of traffic doing 50ish on the motorway.

So, all is not sweetness and light! Many drivers will actually move out of your way, if they can, to let you filter and I always acknowledge them. Sometimes a vehicle will obstruct my progress. Usually it's just because I've not been seen but, sometimes it's a deliberate blocking action and I've seen cars move accross to do it. Some drivers here wrongly think filtering is illegal or dangerous and some are just dicks who don't want to see you make progress while they have to sit in traffic. If you have a bump while filtering insurance companies will not say you had the right of way and blame a car driver. The best you're likely to get is a 50/50 blame decision.

My father was civil engineer designing roads, bridges and the like. He explained how in cities filtering increases rush hour traffic flow. Bikes filter to the front of a queue, say at traffic lights. When the lights go green the bikes are quickeroff the mark and go ahead without holding up the cars. They might have to filter again but then the process repeats itself. If they don't filter they just add to the queue and increase polution. He used to filter on his C70 Honda.
1972 V7Sport. Owned by me since 1978.
1972 V7 700cc ex Vigili del Fuoco?
1954 BSA M33

Read my blog at www.racingrhino.wor dpress.com

beetle

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 04:04:07 PM »
Why do you think it is "rude"?

I consider it 'queue jumping'. That's just my opinion. I'm not against it, I just don't do it.  ;D

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 04:07:43 PM »

I consider it 'queue jumping'. That's just my opinion. I'm not against it, I just don't do it.  ;D

"Queue jumping" isn't very good, I'll agree, and I wouldn't do it.   When you step in front of someone else in a line of people, you are in essence "pushing them back" and taking their turn.

But with filtering or lane-splitting, BOTH of you are getting there faster.   You're not taking the other guy's space or taking his turn - you're creating ANOTHER turn out of the available space because you aren't hogging the world with an automobile, you're conserving space, time, and resources with a bike!

That's the way I look at it.  No harm to the other guy, and a benefit to you .....

Lannis

kirby1923

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 04:29:18 PM »
Living in the UK, I will "filter" whenever the opportunity arises and it's safe to do so as it's legal and generally expected. My understanding of what constitutes lane splitting may be different to yours and is not what I would call filtering. To me, "filtering" is filtering to the front of a stationary or slow moving traffic queue probably at no more than say 25MPH. Lane splitting is riding at speed between two lanes of fast moving traffic. Once traffic speeds have increased so that vehicles are no longer queuing the police can view lane splitting as a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre. A friend was pulled for going up "death alley" at 70mph (at least) between two lanes of traffic doing 50ish on the motorway.

So, all is not sweetness and light! Many drivers will actually move out of your way, if they can, to let you filter and I always acknowledge them. Sometimes a vehicle will obstruct my progress. Usually it's just because I've not been seen but, sometimes it's a deliberate blocking action and I've seen cars move accross to do it. Some drivers here wrongly think filtering is illegal or dangerous and some are just dicks who don't want to see you make progress while they have to sit in traffic. If you have a bump while filtering insurance companies will not say you had the right of way and blame a car driver. The best you're likely to get is a 50/50 blame decision.

My father was civil engineer designing roads, bridges and the like. He explained how in cities filtering increases rush hour traffic flow. Bikes filter to the front of a queue, say at traffic lights. When the lights go green the bikes are quickeroff the mark and go ahead without holding up the cars. They might have to filter again but then the process repeats itself. If they don't filter they just add to the queue and increase polution. He used to filter on his C70 Honda.

No that is not correct at least in CA which is the only state presently condoning this practice. Its called lane sharing and is done on the right side of the passing lane on the motorway and should be the same even when traffic is stopped and on surface streets.
Generally done  no faster than 30/35 mph or slower. If done the way you described "splitting" would get you in big trouble if caught.++++ or will get you killed or maimed sooner or later.
I do not believe I have ever had someone cut me off deliberately or go into road rage! But I have had people move in on me probably cause they did not see me.
As in filtering in UK and Europe The rider has to be vigilant for such things.(and of course the skid demon is always lurking).

mike
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:42:57 AM by kirby1923 »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here