Author Topic: Blame it on the Bassa - Low fuel light comes on at low revs, battery dies...  (Read 1677 times)

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Yes, it's me again.

After nearly two years, the low fuel indicator decided to put in an appearance...AFTER I filled the tank.

Since then, the low fuel indicator has been coming on at low revs...This morning, bike struggled to turn over, then quit trying. Battery dead.

WTF ?
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
how old is the battery? are you using a tender?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
The battery is a whole month old, no tender but the bike is ridden five days a week.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

oldbike54

What type of battery , have you checked for charging output , etc etc .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

Online acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
    IF"n your fuel light is coming on when it is not supposed to there is a chance there is a short to ground either in the fuel level switch thingie  itself or the wiring to it or from it. Could cause your draw on the battery. Just somewhere to start looking.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:43:07 AM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
Thanks. Where do I disconnect the sensor at ? Is it in the tank and part of that wired up mess they refer to as a petcock (I miss my Eldo at times like this).

Wouldn't trust the low fuel indicator anyway, I live and die by the trip meter.

[Dusty], the most recently expired battery is a sealed lead acid.

This one replaced the AGM I killed by unintentionally disconnecting the voltage regulator while replacing the speedo cable.

The AGM replaced the prior unsealed lead acid I also killed by not topping it up during a heat wave.

And I just killed my Camry battery by leaving an interior light on overnight.

Is it maybe some kind of battery virus going around?

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Was the low fuel light working fine, then got goofy after a fill up? If so, maybe a pinched wire.

What is the battery voltage at rest?
What is the battery voltage, key on?
Have you tried a jump start? If it starts, what is the battery voltage at over 3000 RPM?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

oldbike54

Thanks. Where do I disconnect the sensor at ? Is it in the tank and part of that wired up mess they refer to as a petcock (I miss my Eldo at times like this).

Wouldn't trust the low fuel indicator anyway, I live and die by the trip meter.

[Dusty], the most recently expired battery is a sealed lead acid.

This one replaced the AGM I killed by unintentionally disconnecting the voltage regulator while replacing the speedo cable.

The AGM replaced the prior unsealed lead acid I also killed by not topping it up during a heat wave.

And I just killed my Camry battery by leaving an interior light on overnight.

Is it maybe some kind of battery virus going around?

Maybe you should consider a nom de plume change to "One who kills batteries"  :laugh:

Dusty

Orange Guzzi

The light sockets on my dash are not the best.  It looks like 2 warning lights are on when actually only one is on.  2003 Aluminium.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Yes, it's me again.

After nearly two years, the low fuel indicator decided to put in an appearance...AFTER I filled the tank.

Since then, the low fuel indicator has been coming on at low revs...This morning, bike struggled to turn over, then quit trying. Battery dead.

WTF ?
Are you sure the lamp is not mixed with the charge lamp, easy to do.
Make sure the regulator has an extra ground wire.
Also check the battery ground at both ends.
Read the battery Volts.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here