Author Topic: Need some input on a 2013 Honda CB1100  (Read 7576 times)

Frulk

Need some input on a 2013 Honda CB1100
« on: March 13, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »
Taking this for test ride tomorrow at 9AM. There's another dealer close to 50 miles south of here that's listing the same bike for $7,999. If I decide to get it I'll see if they will match the price. I realize the major difference between 2014 and 2013 non-DLX models is the 6 speed tranny. At the almost $4K price difference  between 13 and 14 I 'm sure I can live without it.  I'm thinking of making this my light touring bike (around 350 miles max per day if even that). Will be used mostly to get me and my weekend gear to rivers that I fly fish in Wyoming.  Anybody have a 2013/14 that that they feel really strongly about one way or the other?

Offline aschem

• Gosling
Re: Need some input on a 2013 Honda CB1100
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 06:27:45 PM »
I just bought a 2013 CB1100 std here in Pocatello, Idaho for $7,999 OTD.  I love the bike, I only have about 90 miles on it, but I enjoy it so much,that  I may even sell my Buell as the riding position is easier on my joints. The only major complaint is the shocks. Ordered a set of $400 IKONs and those should be here next week. Tons of accessories available from reputable vendors in Japan, not so in the US. I feel no need for 6 gears or abs, and I like the small sized tank. Others see it differently, check out the CB1100 forum.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 07:19:10 PM »
I was considering a 2014 DLX before I went the path of Moto Guzzi. I think the CB110 is a great looking bike! In addition to a 6-speed, the 2014 DLX has a larger tank, 2-2 exhaust, and ABS...

But that is a heck of a price!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:20:29 PM by JeffOlson »
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »
I was considering a 2014 DLX before I went the path of Moto Guzzi.

Which model Moto Guzzi did you choose?
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 09:29:06 PM »
Norge!

But I really, seriously considered a CB1100. I'm glad I got a Moto Guzzi, though. Such great character!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:31:07 PM by JeffOlson »
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 09:30:53 PM »
Right, I somehow missed your signature - Norge  ;-T
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 09:32:04 PM »
The signature is such fine print, I don't know how anyone can read it!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 10:21:33 PM »
cb1100forum.com, there are now TWO of us with Griso's that have added the CB1100 to our fleet. It's kinda like comparing a Boss 302 Mustang to a nice Buick. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

I'm long legged so I went with lowered foot pegs and higher seat (same issues with the Griso). Smooth, a torque monster. Not quite like the Griso, but plenty of torque on tap and with very smooth power delivery. No bucking or jerkiness at slower speeds. The down side, no steam engine power surge available at highway speeds like on the Griso. Not quite as stable in the fast sweepers like the Griso but oh so much more civilized in town than the Griso. No boiling heat off the jugs. Smooth application of power, comes on like buttered toast. Very nice.

Gets about 50+ mpg when not flogged too badly (this motor is pretty sneaky, with all the torque available at just about any rpm there is no need to get above 5000rpm, but if you do turn the throttle in anger, about 80+ horses are available to power you down the road and she will get up and go).

There is a speed limiter left on from Japan that kicked in at about 112mph. A speed shop in Philly will remap and zero out the limiter for under $400. If  you are so inclined. I have the Griso for hooligan behavior, but for the guys that have uncorked their CB's she'll go north of 130.

Rubber is narrow so the she is very light on her feet. Common refrain from guys that have ridden my bike and reported on the forums; she is a very easy bike to ride. I'm about 165lbs, no need to adjust the shocks or upgrade them. I'm not so aggressive that I feel a need for the available fork brace.

When I'm on the Griso or the CB I think, this is the bike I could live with as an only bike. In truth, I think I prefer twins, I certainly prefer the Griso on long tourers. The Russell Day Long and the 8V motor are the main reasons. In town, CB wins hands down.

In the future I think this bike will attain a cult status. Samurider.com in Japan supplies what ever farkles you may desire.

the guys that have sold their CB's seem to want a more sporting bike and move on to the 1100R, or one of the more powerful sport tourers. The guys most happy with the bike either have several to choose from in their garage but tend to ride the CB the most because she is so easy to ride and is relaxing. Most are coming down from more horsepower and realize they will rarely if ever use the 80+ on tap with the CB much less 150hp+ on earlier bikes. I just fell in love with the looks as it reminds me of machines I lusted after but never had when younger - but lacking carbs, better frame and better brakes (the brakes are better than the Griso's - I have heard we got the same binders as the CB1100R model; in any event they are superb) and all around better manners than the CB's of old. There is also that vroom of an inline four as she winds up.  You pretty much only hear it in the parking lot as she is fairly quiet on the road. When ridden in anger some of the sound comes through, but a quiet bike is easier on the body on long rides.

If this machine was availiable when I was considering the Griso I never would have got her (and I'd still have my Quota, not a bad thing). There are some killer deals out there; like the VFR1200, I think it's a lot of bike for the money. If the old inlines fours are machines you like and admire; get it. If you like the looks of a classic standard bike, get it.

I've added a fender extender, lowered pegs, custom seat, Honda rear rack, CB500 mirrors (they do make the bike look better and my eye is used to lower mirrors), the red side covers from the 2014 model - the silver just looks silly and Puige windscreen (meh), small windscreen from NC, now on the XR650L, MRA windscreen mounts shared with the Griso, but have the Givi A770 mounted now, because I can. :D. And a thermometer from the Quota. Other guys like to upgrade the exhaust (Austrailian four into four is to die for!!!), Chip sport fairings that look like the old 1983 CB1100F.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Frulk

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 10:30:03 PM »
Thanks guys. Exactly what I was looking for and appreciate all the feedback...off to the dealer in the AM for a test ride.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 11:41:24 PM »
Nice review!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

canuguzzi

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 12:32:20 AM »
As the CB1100 is chain driven, getting the finals to match your riding style is easy. If you do mostly touring or that sort of thing, going up one or two on the counter shaft can make a nice difference, you won't miss not having the 6th. It isn't like the bike is under powered so you might notice only a small difference in take off acceleration.

Went to 21 on a Trophy 1200 and highway runs were in nearly complete silence and so smooth you'd think it was coasting downhill.

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 09:53:09 AM »
Taking this for test ride tomorrow at 9AM.

So Frulk, how'd the test ride go?
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Frulk

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 12:41:26 PM »
Showed up at 8:50 am yesterday just as they were rolling the bike out on display in front of the dealership. Sunny and nice. Found the salesman I spoke to on Friday, we made small talk and he asked what I'm currently riding. I replied "a Moto Guzzi" and he looked truly shocked as he replied "Ohh...REALLY?" There was no negative connotation in his comment. I just think it may have been years since he heard that reply.

I took the CB1100 out after it warmed up and had the opportunity to get it up to about 65mph around the industrial back roads of where the dealer is located.  Rode around for about 10-15 minutes. Impressions that came immediately to mind were...refined...qu iet...smooth...easy to balance....Very open and relaxed seating position. I spend a couple of minutes standing over the pegs and running slowly over a couple of rough parking lot sections to simulate the slow riding I would be doing on a mile or two of dirt/gravel roads to get to a couple of places I fish in Wy. Doing that the bike felt very light and controllable..Anoth er impression I've heard and will echo is the bike has a high level of finish. I think that coming off a V7R as my primary ride for a while now I expected the CB1100 to launch much stronger than it did. Hard to explain but maybe all that refinement made it seem slower??  Anyway, I was really impressed with the level of quality in all the areas mentioned above (the brakes in particular) but if I had to encapsulate that short test ride with one word I'd almost have to say "sterile".  This is NOT a dig on the CB (just how it felt coming off a Guzzi and immediately riding the CB).

I came back, spoke with the dealer about his "best price" and he stated $9,100 out the door. Having seen Ashem's price of $7.9K out the door just a few hours up the road in Idaho I was a little less than motivated (especially since the salesman stated they had that one and another in stock....same color red that I prefer).  

As I rode off on the V7R I  immediately realized just how much feedback the V7 provided and how much I enjoyed it.  I like the CB1100, and it would fit the bill for what I need. However, until the price comes closer to $8K out the door it prob won't happen. I'm calling the salesman tomorrow and giving him my Cell # with that offer. Will see what happens
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:16:24 PM by Frulk »

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 02:05:31 PM »
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031856

Here in Phoenix, GoAZ has one for sale, just under $7400, plus tax and fees so I think $8K to $8.5 is the going rate if you look around.
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 02:10:28 PM »
Took the CB to the Pavilions last night, the Griso to morning coffee; the two bikes are night and day apart so i have to appreciate each bike in its' own way. Where I find fault with the Griso the CB excels. Where I fault the CB, the Griso excels. They really are two sides of a coin and would have a very hard time choosing which bike to keep if and when I have to down size. I thought my XR650L would be my last bike standing, now I think it will be one of these two. Or a forth bike yet to arrive.

The Griso took longer to grow on me, the CB is easier to like right off the bat. Love takes a bit longer.
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Frulk

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 06:54:33 PM »
Well...I went and did it. 2013 Honda CB1100 came home last night.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 07:10:48 PM »
cb1100forum.com, there are now TWO of us with Griso's that have added the CB1100 to our fleet. It's kinda like comparing a Boss 302 Mustang to a nice Buick. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

I'm long legged so I went with lowered foot pegs and higher seat (same issues with the Griso). Smooth, a torque monster. Not quite like the Griso, but plenty of torque on tap and with very smooth power delivery. No bucking or jerkiness at slower speeds. The down side, no steam engine power surge available at highway speeds like on the Griso. Not quite as stable in the fast sweepers like the Griso but oh so much more civilized in town than the Griso. No boiling heat off the jugs. Smooth application of power, comes on like buttered toast. Very nice.

Gets about 50+ mpg when not flogged too badly (this motor is pretty sneaky, with all the torque available at just about any rpm there is no need to get above 5000rpm, but if you do turn the throttle in anger, about 80+ horses are available to power you down the road and she will get up and go).

There is a speed limiter left on from Japan that kicked in at about 112mph. A speed shop in Philly will remap and zero out the limiter for under $400. If  you are so inclined. I have the Griso for hooligan behavior, but for the guys that have uncorked their CB's she'll go north of 130.

Rubber is narrow so the she is very light on her feet. Common refrain from guys that have ridden my bike and reported on the forums; she is a very easy bike to ride. I'm about 165lbs, no need to adjust the shocks or upgrade them. I'm not so aggressive that I feel a need for the available fork brace.

When I'm on the Griso or the CB I think, this is the bike I could live with as an only bike. In truth, I think I prefer twins, I certainly prefer the Griso on long tourers. The Russell Day Long and the 8V motor are the main reasons. In town, CB wins hands down.

In the future I think this bike will attain a cult status. Samurider.com in Japan supplies what ever farkles you may desire.

the guys that have sold their CB's seem to want a more sporting bike and move on to the 1100R, or one of the more powerful sport tourers. The guys most happy with the bike either have several to choose from in their garage but tend to ride the CB the most because she is so easy to ride and is relaxing. Most are coming down from more horsepower and realize they will rarely if ever use the 80+ on tap with the CB much less 150hp+ on earlier bikes. I just fell in love with the looks as it reminds me of machines I lusted after but never had when younger - but lacking carbs, better frame and better brakes (the brakes are better than the Griso's - I have heard we got the same binders as the CB1100R model; in any event they are superb) and all around better manners than the CB's of old. There is also that vroom of an inline four as she winds up.  You pretty much only hear it in the parking lot as she is fairly quiet on the road. When ridden in anger some of the sound comes through, but a quiet bike is easier on the body on long rides.

If this machine was availiable when I was considering the Griso I never would have got her (and I'd still have my Quota, not a bad thing). There are some killer deals out there; like the VFR1200, I think it's a lot of bike for the money. If the old inlines fours are machines you like and admire; get it. If you like the looks of a classic standard bike, get it.

I've added a fender extender, lowered pegs, custom seat, Honda rear rack, CB500 mirrors (they do make the bike look better and my eye is used to lower mirrors), the red side covers from the 2014 model - the silver just looks silly and Puige windscreen (meh), small windscreen from NC, now on the XR650L, MRA windscreen mounts shared with the Griso, but have the Givi A770 mounted now, because I can. :D. And a thermometer from the Quota. Other guys like to upgrade the exhaust (Austrailian four into four is to die for!!!), Chip sport fairings that look like the old 1983 CB1100F.
Excellent write-up, Rboe.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

lucydad

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 07:45:09 PM »
I think Honda hit the nail on the head with the CB1100...seen several around Houston

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 07:47:25 PM »
Oh man, I really wanted to get a Racer but I just didn't fit the V7 frames (the Racer came the closest though). One of the disadvantages of being tall, some nice bikes are simply too small.

I'm very keen to get your impressions as you ride her. A buddy of mine and I took a road trip yesterday and I choose the Griso after looking at the weather reports; I have better wind protection when it gets cool - and grip heaters. :) Frankly, being about a 250 mile round trip, the Russell Day Long on the Griso was also a bit factor. But other wise I had fully intended on taking the CB. I was hitting 75 or so in the fun twisty bits on 260 coming down into Camp Verde; I was finding it hard to dial in the power on the Griso, she just wants to go and gets up to speed in a very sneaky manner. We really do need to repeat that loop on the CB.

Dang, you have two very good looking machines there.  :bow
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Frulk

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 08:25:46 PM »
Rboe...It's funny, you could almost describe the CB1100 as the "Anti-Guzzi". All of the things that really endear the V7 and Guzzis in general to me (shaft drive/V twin/feedback/Italian styling etc.) aren't there. Yet I was still attracted to the Honda. I was in the market for a big block Guzzi but the only one for sale in my area in almost a year the guys here said was overpriced and possible ridden too hard (missing exhaust...potential valve issues etc.). The Griso was in the running but the new models don't have the color schemes I like and the price out the door and availability nixed that option for the time being. Both the V7R and the Honda CB1100 remind me of the bikes I saw on the streets when I was growing up. In a small way I feel like I just bought back a part of my youth.

[/img]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:26:20 PM by Frulk »

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 08:36:19 PM »
For some of us, the CB1100 does hit the retro button that the Moto Guzzi tends to hit. It's not like a Guzzi, and yet, it kinda is. With your two bikes I think you have both sides of the same coin. Now you get to play with the whole coin.

Unlike the Griso I think the CB is easier to know and love faster. Once you get her broke in a bit you'll find that she has a bit of a bad girl side once you get the rpm's up. Power wise, she'll walk all over the Racer; but neither bike is really about power but the grin factor. I think I'll go ride the CB tomorrow! :D
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Frulk

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 08:43:02 PM »
Well, one upside to owning the CB1100 is that I sold the KLR to make room for it. As a result I no longer have the urge to collect 20% off coupons and buy my motorcycle parts at Home Depot.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 09:44:45 PM »
Ouch!  ;D
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here