Author Topic: Norge: Speed + Distance = Pain  (Read 10482 times)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Norge: Speed + Distance = Pain
« on: March 28, 2015, 09:41:46 PM »
I love my new Norge, especially around town and out on country roads. However, I really do not like it on the highway.

Above 60 MPH, the wind blast and noise are deafening and quite intolerable, even with the windscreen in its highest position. My solutions: a new open-face helmet (surprisingly, it is quieter than my full-face helmet), earplugs, and a larger "touring" windscreen from Agostini.

Also, if I am riding more than 100 miles at a stretch, I have tremendous pain in my hips and knees. My solutions: lowered foot and toe pegs from Knight Design, plus standing up every now and then like I'm an off-road rider.

What are your solutions (besides a different bike)?

BTW, I'm 5' 10"" tall (at least in the morning).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:22:56 PM by JeffOlson »
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Norge: Speed + Distance = Pain
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:27:35 PM »
always wear ear plugs.  Custom fit are better.

I never ride without ear plugs....along with Helmet, Gloves, Jacket & Boots.  ATGATT
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 10:39:13 PM »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:59:25 PM »
One's age and state of physical fitness can make a serious difference in whether a longer ride is enjoyable or difficult.  From your recent modifications, I get the sense that you have attacked the comfort problem about 2/3 of the way.  I recommend a custom seat as your final modification.  Factory seats are reflective of a desire to inflict pain by some crazed designer at any motorcycle makers.  That mod should set you in good stead.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:59:25 PM »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 07:05:16 AM »
I am 5'10 and 160# with a 32" inseam. I changed to a medium Cal/Sci screen mostly for more wind protection. For some reason the only time wind noise is bad is in crosswinds and then it is horrendous, have to wear ear plugs. I wear a full face. Going with or into the wind, no better or worse than other bikes I have ridden. So far I have found no problem with the stock seat or the riding position. Bike comfort is so individualistic.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 08:21:56 AM »
Must be an individual thing....I'm not a kid (66 yo), have only added the gel seat and a throttlemeister, but my 1st gen Norge is the most comfortable (and quiet, regarding wind noise) highway bike I have ever owned. 700 mile days are no problem; do them routinely.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Bill Hagan

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 08:25:15 AM »
I am 5'10 and 160# with a 32" inseam. I changed to a medium Cal/Sci screen mostly for more wind protection. For some reason the only time wind noise is bad is in crosswinds and then it is horrendous, have to wear ear plugs. I wear a full face. Going with or into the wind, no better or worse than other bikes I have ridden. So far I have found no problem with the stock seat or the riding position. Bike comfort is so individualistic.
GliderJohn

Indeed.

Reading your physical "dimensions," GJ, however, is pretty annoying  :D, as while (possibly) I am 71 inches, and have a 30" inseam, I have another 55 - 60 pounds on you ... before gear.   Lordy. ::)

Other than, of course, testing my Norge's suspension limits -- thus the after-market improved front and rear shocks -- my Norge is a near perfect fit for me.  I do stop and stretch, drink water, and just walk around every fuel stop ... and for the right overlooks and mysterious historical markers.  ;)

I also wear full-faced helmets (OK, only one at a time ;D) and cannot imagine riding without ear plugs.  I also keep the w/s at lowest setting unless bitter cold or pouring rain, and in those instances I try to be at home or in a hotel lounge!   :BEER:

And contrary to the prevailing view of most wildguzzisti who have commented on this, I have liked the stock seats on all of my Guzzis, including the Norge.  I may not have a complete nervous-system "wiring harness" in my gluteus maximus  ;), but a non-issue, IMO.

Now, none of that doesn't mean that at my age and "mileage" that I don't hurt on rides.  Most one-dayers are fine, but on multi-day rides, I bring along aspirin which does the trick for me.  Will also say that very little of my riding is droning along on long stretches of straights, whether slab or primary arteries.  

It's hard to avoid that completely, but my typical 250-300 mile riding day is nearly all in the curvy stuff.  I find that concentrating on not killing myself keeps the pain below noticeable levels.   :o  No, I'm serious.  The more I am focused on not low- or high-siding, the less I feel my aged joints, etc.

Glad the lowered pegs and other fixes help, Jeff, and hope you find the all-around cure.  Lordy, as do you and the others here,I do so love my Norge.

Bill

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 08:39:53 AM »
Quote from Bill Hagan:
Reading your physical "dimensions," GJ, however, is pretty annoying

Sorry! ;) Use to come naturally when young. Have to work pretty steady at it now to keep those Stats.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline JediMasterII

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 09:50:54 AM »
 I put a Cal Sci shield on and increased the seat height by 1.5 inch and now find my Norge comfortable for 300-500 mile days.

I am 6'2". Also wear a full face helmet and earplugs. I usually have the visor cracked open about 1/4 inch on the helmet and find no buffeting or loud noise.

I have also found that 3/4 and 1/2 helmets are often quieter than full faced helmets usually due to wind blast coming from the tank area.
Don C. in Northern, IL
Lurker Extraordinaire

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »
I stop every hour or so to stretch and have a break. Still able to do 700 mi.days that way. Anything longer would require stimulants.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 11:26:34 AM »
I do the same.  But, a good seat is all important for me.  If it bothers me I fix it.  On a Norge I'd send the seat off to Russell.

Everyone likes different positions.  I like having my feet under me and knees are a bit more than 90deg.  Can't do the legs out in front.  Even floorboards make my back hurt.  When I stretch my legs it usually involves moving them back to the passenger pegs and leaning forward.  5'10" and 32 inseam.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 11:27:26 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts, everyone. It sounds like a new seat is next on my list.

The lower foot and toe pegs have not yet arrived, and neither has the larger windscreen. In the meantime, I have a new, surprisingly quiet half-helmet (Bell Pit Boss) and ear plugs to combat the raucous din.

Also, at my dealer's suggestion, I have removed the thick rubber pads from the tops of my stock foot pegs (and rotated the toe levers to their lowest positions). That alone drops my feet at least ¾".

That should enable me to get home this afternoon a little more comfortably than my trip up here to our cabin a few days ago.

(I am spoiled: I am used to driving the 140 miles up here in a big, soft, whisper-quiet boat of a car with a massaging, ventilated, and heated seat, all in one sitting...)
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 11:52:34 AM »
Stats:
54 y/o
5' 9 3/4" (I want credit for the 3/4".  Used to be 6'0".  Gravity always wins. ::)
272.5# (Down from 415# a few years ago)
29" inseam

The second most comfortable bike I have is my 07 Norge.  Stock seat and all.  Wind noise isn't bad, and I always have the w/s in the low position. The most uncomfortable seat is the stocker on my 96 Cali. It would make the Marquis De Sade cry for mercy. A Ned's Comfort seat helped that some.   The most comfortable bike I have is my 72 Eldo, with floor boards.  Perfect seat and riding posture.  I think getting a custom, not a one off seat, will make the biggest difference for you. As you ride more miles and hours in the saddle though, you will adapt to the bike and comfort will increase.

Keep your knees and teeth in the wind!!
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

canuguzzi

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 11:22:02 PM »
I found that my 13 Norge is as comfortable at high speeds and long distances any anything else I've had and there is a long list.

I'm 5'10, 165 lbs and 32" inseam. The suspension, windscreen height was good as stock with only the occasional adjustment on screen height needed.

The handlebars were another story. I needed extra height and some rearward movement. On the 2nd generation Norge putting on risers from 1/2" - 1" is a breeze and relatively inexpensive. I have a post on what you need to do it. If you aren't gorilla armed the risers can make a difference in how your weight is distributed on the seat, where the wind blast hits your helmet and so on.

When stopping for fuel, get off the bike, walk around for a few minutes and do some stretches. Just riding up and pumping gas then taking off just makes whatever small nuisance a real pain, especially on long rides.

The minute you feel cramped or need to stand up, stop and do the walk, waist stretch and stuff. It makes a world of difference.

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 11:26:41 PM »
A Corbin seat made my knees much happier on my Breva 1100.
North Carolina

Offline jvc220

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 12:39:13 AM »
In regards to the wind buffering... I have found that the solution (aside from ear plugs) can be corrected with actually lowering the wind screen. Call me crazy but lowering the screen typically lowers or redirects the wind in my case 6' with a full face helmet.

Experiment with the heights, the top position is not almost the "best" position IMO.
1971 Ambassador >30,700 miles (8,000 of my own)
2008 Norge > 11,930
"The only thing I knew how to do was to keep on keepin' on..."
Tommy the Wire "You wouldn't know a classy girl if she took a dump on your head."

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 04:19:58 AM »
In regards to the wind buffering... I have found that the solution (aside from ear plugs) can be corrected with actually lowering the wind screen.
:+1

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 04:28:14 AM »
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 05:35:28 AM »
I get a custom seat for every bike.  As much for the added height I can request as for comfort.  Only 32" inseam but I need a very slight knee bend after surgery.
I have all the big aftermarket seats and the Bill Mayer is my favorite.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

cjoles

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 11:03:08 AM »
All good points so far and I've done seat, pegs and shield in my efforts for distance comfort.  I also found that my helmet added quite a bit of buffeting and noise that was dramatically reduced when a new one was purchased.  The old, noisy unit was a Shoei flip and new one is an Arai Signet Q which is much, much quieter.  You mentioned the 3/4 helmet is working well but if you wanted full face and the protection it offers keep in mind that not all are built the same.

Good luck!

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 04:35:47 PM »
I'm 6'3" with a 34 inch inseam. I had my seat redone by Don Weber / Mr. Ed's Moto in Albany Oregon. I made an appointment and the Mrs and I spent a full day having the seat redone. Massively more comfortable.

Stock windshield and everything else. Very comfortable bike for long distances. Ear plugs: always. Noisy helmets: not so much.
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 06:19:39 PM »
Looks like I need a new seat.

However, from my crash bar thread, you will see that I need a new pannier first!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »
In order of importance 1. seat... I am 6'5' with 36" inseam.  I sat on a Norge and it was instant grief. But it was nothing that a custom seat could not fix.
2. Handlebars....width, height and depth, meaning how far back to they come. Do you was to set more upright and more forward.
3. Then you fix the windshield after all changing the seat height, how far back you set and how upright at have to be in place so you can change the wind screen for buffeting. As for ear plugs I have to have 100% wind blockage. I had ear damage from a virus and even the slightest wind noise causes my ears tinnitus. So I use soft foam and if it is not put in correctly I pull right over and put a new pair in. Many people who hate riding with me. 
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 08:54:08 PM »
Looks like I need a new seat.

However, from my crash bar thread, you will see that I need a new pannier first!

Everybody has said so much of the right stuff that the solution IS in there for YOU, somewhere.

I'll just emphasize the need to attack every part of your bike that you touch (grips, bars, seat, pegs) and use whatever is available (gel, heli-bars, Russell seat, lowered pegs) to make the bike exactly like you want.  Even an inch or two off-nominal for YOUR body configuration or YOUR sensitivity to position or motion can make you miserable.

I went to the audiologist and had my hearing tested some years back.   She made me a set of custom-molded ear plugs that allow me to hear normal conversation but which knock out all the 4000-hz "wind noise" that is so annoying.   I never ride without earplugs any more; once your hearing at a particular frequency is gone, it's gone forever .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 08:31:23 AM »
I've been extremely comfortable on my previous Norge's with an Air Hawk. I always used it for my longer rides, 5000+ miles and never had an issue. In addition they breath much better then a stock and most custom seats.
Jerry
Florida

Offline samfrank

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 11:31:48 AM »
I'm a big fan of the bead rider cover on my seat. Had it on my '07 and now my '13 Norge. I've always had the stock seat in place with no other modifications.
Sam
1973 Eldorado
2013 Norge - moving to Arizona to live with John.
2015 Yamaha FJR1300

dilligaf

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »
In regards to the wind buffering... I have found that the solution (aside from ear plugs) can be corrected with actually lowering the wind screen.

Yep.  :BEER:
Matt

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here