Author Topic: Australian Helmet Laws  (Read 6361 times)

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Australian Helmet Laws
« on: March 30, 2015, 01:26:32 PM »
I'm working on a plan for an Australia tour in October including Tasmania.  I'm working with a moto rental agency.  They inform that I can NOT bring my USA helmet into Australia.  I have to utilize an Australian certified helmet which they will provide.  I have a very good quality flip front helmet with a communication system installed.  I'm told it is verboten unless the audio system was a part of the helmet when it was certified for Australia.  I can't believe that a heavily used loaner helmet is actually going to protect my head better than what I have already researched and acquired.

How much of an issue is this really?
Do the local LEO's actually look for and cite for such things?
Should I just ignore it all?
Or, am I taking a serious fine risk?
Anyone local to comment?
Any foreign travelers with recent experience?

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Australian Helmet Laws
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 01:36:54 PM »
Same for the USA, technically. Not DOT certification for helmets not marketed in USA means they are not legal in USA. Most US cops would not notice.

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 03:06:52 PM »
I've never had my helmet checked in 25 years of riding on the road downunder.

There is a silver rectangular Australian Standards helmet sticker that all locally sold helmets have.

I wouldn't wear a used loaner helmet!

Kurt
2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

dilligaf

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 03:13:19 PM »
  P:) I'm going to tell. :+=copcar    ~; I would try to avoid a loaner.  ::(  But then I know noting about the place so.......... :BEER:
Matt
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:28:42 PM by dilligaf »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 03:13:19 PM »

Offline Tazturtle

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 03:17:04 PM »
Great article on the confusing and convoluted state of laws relating to the Australian Standards sticker:

Kurt

http://www.roadrider.com.au/special-features/state-of-helmets
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 03:17:15 PM »
Go on Ebay.

Buy an Aussie certification sticker.

Apply to helmet.

:BEER:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 03:21:48 PM »
Australian Cow

In 1994, I went to Australia for a couple of months.  My best friend Ron had come into an Insurance Settlement, and he bought me a round trip ticket and even a motorcycle for me to ride around on while I was there. After looking around at a few bikes, I wound up with a Yamaha XJ 900. It was pretty ratty, but I could clean it up pretty well. I got it looking so good that after I left to come back to the States, they sold it for more than it cost; and the guy who bought it thought he got one hell of a bargain.

Helmets are mandatory in Australia, and I'd brought my trusty Bell open face helmet with me, as Ron had warned me that helmets are really expensive there, too. I also brought a dozen little bottles of Wright’s Liquid Smoke, since Ron and Melia loved to cook with it, and it wasn’t available there.

Anyway, after I’d been there a few weeks, we decided to ride up the coast to Cairns (it’s pronounced cans).  Ron & Melia lived just above Byron Bay, which is the easternmost point of Australia, so it was roughly 2000 Kilometers each way.

The weather was pretty close to Tropical at the house, (the ocean water felt like it was around 80 F), but as we traveled North, things got progressively more tropical. There were a lot of Cane fields, and we crossed the Tropic of Capricorn into the “Official” Tropical Zone. Somewhere around here, I have a photo of me in the little park just outside of Rockhampton. There’s a small monument that says Tropic Of Capricorn. On the south side of the monument is a low wall that says Temperate Zone; on the north side, the wall says Tropic Zone. I’m standing by the Tropic Zone sign.

One morning, the three of us were cruising north when a Ute carrying a cow pulled out onto the highway ahead of us. (A Ute is a uniquely Australian vehicle. It’s a cross between a Pickup and a Flat Bed truck. Kinda like a flat bed with shallow sides). The cow was tethered to a rack behind the cab, and it was standing almost sideways in the bed of the Ute.  At that time, I was the lead bike of the three of us, and we slowed down; then gradually picked up speed as the Ute did. We got back up to 100 KPH and were just rolling along.  After a couple of minutes of this, I noticed that my face felt cool. When I looked ahead, I could see the cow standing in the back of the Ute, but the air behind it was very blurry. Realizing what was happening; I grabbed my brakes hard, and stopped so fast that my friends thought my engine seized. I started laughing wildly, and then explained what the refreshing coolness was. Fortunately there was a petrol station/ Rest Area just ahead. We all pulled in and went into the Rest Rooms where we thoroughly washed our faces before continuing on our way.

I wear a full face helmet now.
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

I'd bring my trusty Schuberth and wouldn't give a Flying Farkle about the Certification. In fact, when I go over next November that's exactly what I plan to do.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 03:22:49 PM »
Go on Ebay.

Buy an Aussie certification sticker.

Apply to helmet.

:BEER:
That would be naughty  :D ;-T :+1
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Offline auzziguzzi

• Gosling
  • This ain't no dress rehersal
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 03:57:27 PM »
In 45 years of road riding in Oz I've NEVER had my helmet certification checked by LEOs.

Yes, helmets are expensive here.   Everything is expensive here.   Fortunately for USA visitors, the AU$ is on the way down which eases the pain for you.

Patrick : Not sure if you received my email but you don't have to worry about hiring a bike when you get here.

John.
'96 Sport 1100c (65,000 km)
'83 V50 III (80,000 km)
'06 Norge (162,000 km)
'90 NTX 650 (66,666 km)
'06 Breva 1100 (84,505 miles) SOLD 3/3/2022

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 04:58:21 PM »
Speaking of which, Alaska Leather has Nolans heavily discounted as they change out stock for the summer.  My kid picked one up for about half of what I paid for mine on-sale from the same place.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 05:07:49 PM »
I went searching what it would take to buy a sticker on ebay and stumbled into this. What a mess.

http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/p/15161/109882.aspx

That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Tazturtle

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »
You can make out the sticker (chrome with a red stripe) just to the lower right side of the rear of my helmet. This would be the view most Police would get!

As I said, I've never had mine checked, at least to my knowledge. So if you are really worried a little strip of any sort of chrome coloured tape on the lower right side of your helmet would fool anyone!

2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 05:29:53 PM »
They are plently of people running around with helmets brought overseas (mainly because its cheaper) and not certified, yes technically illegal. Never heard of anyone done for it basically you'd need to get a Hot Water Pipe (HWP) on a really bad day, however typically these are high end touring and race helmets. I would make sure the helmet you intend to bring (make and model) is available in Australia under the local standards you then at least have some ground for discussion (although not on the side of the road).

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 05:36:27 PM »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 05:59:12 PM »
I've HEARD OF helmets being checked in the eastern states on the odd occasion, but myself have never experienced that. Not in a couple of hundred thousand kms over the last four years, or even before. I don't remember coming across anyone, other than Harley riders, who have been checked either. And I have never been checked for anything at all in Tassie, where there seems to be more common sense than elsewhere.

Queensland has recently changed their helmet laws to allow certain ECE 22.05 (EU) certified helmets (http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Queensland-road-rules/Motorcycle-road-rules.aspx), but only those with one of the several ECE 22.05 compliance stickers. There's a glimmer of sense there, if incomplete implementation, and there is the possibility of such changes in other states in the future.

Insurance in the event of an an accident may be another issue.

When I've been riding in NZ & the UK, I've taken my (Australian certified) helmets there. Not completely kosher, perhaps, but I felt confident that my head was protected.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
I've HEARD OF helmets being checked in the eastern states on the odd occasion, but myself have never experienced that. Not in a couple of hundred thousand kms over the last four years, or even before. I don't remember coming across anyone, other than Harley riders, who have been checked either. And I have never been checked for anything at all in Tassie, where there seems to be more common sense than elsewhere.

Queensland has recently changed their helmet laws to allow certain ECE 22.05 (EU) certified helmets (http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Queensland-road-rules/Motorcycle-road-rules.aspx), but only those with one of the several ECE 22.05 compliance stickers. There's a glimmer of sense there, if incomplete implementation, and there is the possibility of such changes in other states in the future.

Insurance in the event of an an accident may be another issue.

When I've been riding in NZ & the UK, I've taken my (Australian certified) helmets there. Not completely kosher, perhaps, but I felt confident that my head was protected.

Mal
I've seen your head, Is it worth it  :D :D :D :BEER:
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Offline Tazturtle

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
When I had my accident last Feb (writing off my V7 Racer and Arai helmet), my Insurance company, Police and Ambos paid zero attention to the sticker on my helmet. In fact one of my mates took it home for me. I think it's a non issue.
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 11:44:48 PM »
They had a bit of a crack down in SA a few years back but if you search you'll see each state does it's own thing. Unless you're doing track days it shouldn't be an issue (although even then it depends on the operator).

Bring your helmet & enjoy!

I know some UK helmets are approved so with or without the sticker yours might meet standard. Of course here the offence was for not having the sticker & label, so it's about compliance not safety. Then there's the set of '70's Arai helmets that were included into the legislation & did not require certification...
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline double.d

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 12:48:49 AM »
I assume you will do the sensible thing and get travel insurance, if so you need to check with your insurer what they will do if you make a claim having worn a non Australian approved helmet. If they say no problem then have at it.
Also be careful if you have a tinted visor, this is a crime against humanity in some states  ::). Just recently one Victorian officer booked another Victorian officer for having a tinted visor.............. ............. yes, seriously.
1986 Le Mans IV Black Since New
2014 K1300 R Black German Starship.

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 02:44:05 AM »
I assume you will do the sensible thing and get travel insurance, if so you need to check with your insurer what they will do if you make a claim having worn a non Australian approved helmet. If they say no problem then have at it.
Also be careful if you have a tinted visor, this is a crime against humanity in some states  ::). Just recently one Victorian officer booked another Victorian officer for having a tinted visor.............. ............. yes, seriously.

Read the court date on that one, then report back !!!

Agree with all, been here 34 years now on and off, NEVER been asked about helmet sticker, some have, some don't
There are far more laws than ever before, obeying all impossible, still weird stuff from 1850 (mel) and every year since, library loads of them.
On the road only speeding and drinking laws enforced, no other rules as far as I can tell, take care.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here