Author Topic: Heated Grips - 2011 V7 Classic  (Read 2761 times)

Offline mthydro

• New Egg
Heated Grips - 2011 V7 Classic
« on: March 31, 2015, 12:58:37 PM »
I've seen a few threads on heated grips already, but I was curious as to what most are using on their V7?

I'm leaning towards the Oxford Heaterz Premium Sport

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic
1986 Vespa PX177E

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
Re: Heated Grips - 2011 V7 Classic
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:13:04 PM »
I've been using Oxford's for over 10 years now. They get very hot on the high setting, and they have the automatic turn off feature, so if you accidentally leave them on, they'll shut off when voltage drops to about 12V. You won't have enough power to start your bike in most cases, but it won't totally drain your battery.
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:13:24 PM »
I run these on both my bikes.
Flawless  ;-T
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 02:54:35 PM »
I run the Oxford Premium Sports on the 1100 Sport & the Aerostich Warm Wraps on the V7C. I prefer the Oxfords - more robust & more convenient, the wraps tend to be a little delicate where the wires join the wrap after about 3 seasons. Both work well & neither get above the lower settings. While they still work, there's no incentive to change the wraps for the grips.

I do prefer the heated glove liners. Much more effective - keep the finger tips & back of the hands warm. The glove liners though need more preparation - can't be just switched on while riding. In an ideal world you'd have both the liners & the grips. I've had no battery problems running either or both.

If you are going to get grips, I'd recommend the Oxfords.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 02:54:35 PM »

Offline zokn

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 08:33:07 AM »
I had the Oxford Heaterz Premiums on my '75 R90/6. Never had a battery problem, but I watched it closely and put the bike on a trickle charger weekly or so to keep it topped up. Enjoyed the grips very much and they lengthened my riding and commuting season significantly.

When I bought my V7 Stone last year, I bought the wrap on version of the Oxford grips. They can be installed and uninstalled in a few minutes and provide plenty of heat to the palms of my hands. There is no heat level control, just on and off, so I use that to regulate the heat for comfort.

Both types of gri.ps have one big drawback: they do not warm the back of your hands, which is the part that faces the wind and gets cold quickly when riding at speed, even with well insulated gloves. Heavily insulated gloves will also restrict the amount of heat getting from heated grips through to your palms, but it wil make it through (like heated car seats warm you through your winter coat).

Having cold hands is a major health problem for me, so I need to watch out for them all the time. This winter my wife bought me heated glove liners. The wiring that heats up in the liners is over the back of the hands, which is a big plus, keeping the hands warm while adding hardly any thickness or bulk and enabling easy working with tools, etc. out of doors. Since they are glove liners, you can wear any glove or mitten over them, depending on what you like or need. This keeps the expensive liners from excessive wear, too.

The ones she bought use 12 volt batteries, so can easily be bike powered. I have been using these gloves all winter and really, really like them. My hands are warm and the liners are thin enough that I can work outdoors with equipment, or just moving snow or walking the dog, with ease, safety, and warm hands. I just got cables to wire in the gloves to the bike. As soon as the ice and snow retreat here, I'll be trying out the glove liners along and with the Oxford grip wraps on the bike.

The glove liners were developed for bicyclists, but are used in industry and by lots of others. They can be found at:

http://powerinmotion.ca/Products/HeatedWear/Heated_Gloves_Calgary_Toronto_Vancouver_Canada

I have no connection with the company. I'm just a very happy, warm-handed user.

Stephen
Stephen

Nova Scotia, Canada

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
1975 BMW R90/6 (sold)

Previously: several BSAs, Lambretta 150 with a Bambino sidecar, 1978 Honda 550, 1985 BMW K100RT, 1996 Ducati Multistrada

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here