Author Topic: Sioux Falls destination suggestions please  (Read 5192 times)

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
Sioux Falls destination suggestions please
« on: March 31, 2015, 09:07:41 PM »
So here I am, new to Sioux Falls, and my tires are getting all flat in the middle.  Are there any good twisties around here I can go play on to make my tires round again?  A fun destination along the route would be a bonus..
TIA
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Sioux Falls destination suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:35:04 PM »
Kevin,
Go see Ches at the Amsoil retail store, one block west of 29 on West 12th St. (42).  He used to own an Eldo and has the local motorcycle-auto enthustic magazine on hand to help you stay in touch with the local scene.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:17:56 PM »
Follow the Big Sioux River down to Sioux City, for a start.
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline High Octane

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 10:28:20 PM »
I just live up the highway a ways.  I have a sport touring bike and when people ask why I don't have a sport bike I just say, cause every place I like to ride is 500 miles from where I live.  Head west to the Hills or maybe south to the Loesshills in western IA.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 10:28:20 PM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 10:32:12 PM »
So here I am, new to Sioux Falls, and my tires are getting all flat in the middle.  Are there any good twisties around here I can go play on to make my tires round again?  A fun destination along the route would be a bonus..
TIA

They've got some killer entrance and exit ramps off I-90 on the north side of town...
 :D
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:51:16 PM »
They've got some killer entrance and exit ramps off I-90 on the north side of town...
 :D

Yup, to the west of that on 90 the speed limit drops as you come over the hill and see the city.  You are taking in the sights on your right as the cop is pulling the trigger on his radar gun..... :-[
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:51:58 PM by John Ulrich »
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 02:12:55 PM »
Kevin,
Go see Ches at the Amsoil retail store, one block west of 29 on West 12th St. (42).  He used to own an Eldo and has the local motorcycle-auto enthustic magazine on hand to help you stay in touch with the local scene.
I did go talk to Ches, a great guy in a great shop.  If you are in town and need oil this is the place.  He also has a very nice selection of gloves jackets and other riding gear.
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 07:06:21 PM »
If you're into small towns, railroads, history, etc. you're in great place. For example, theres 4 museums with old trains, some operating, within a hundred miles of Sioux Falls. Also a guy that restores Porsche tractors on Main Street in Clear Lake and the Humphrey Pharmacy in Huron. Then there's the Buffalo Ridge which runs from southwest Minnesota all the way to North Dakota. I live up north of Pipestone and go out riding just about every day the weather allows, and I always find something new.

Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 07:27:03 PM »
I'm sitting here in a hotel in Sioux Falls also. Stop on past the Dakotah Lodge and say howdy.

Offline Red07

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 07:49:22 PM »
Twisties in eastern South Dakota?  If you find some, let me know!  Until then, if I want curves, I go circle the poles in Walmarts parking lot.  Not real fun, but may help them flat spots on the tires. ;D

My son goes to college out in Rapid City.  This summer he's working a job in/near Sturgis for the military.  I'm planning a short trip out to see him.  What a difference a few hours west makes. 

If you find some good riding areas down in the SF area, let me know.

Randy

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 08:12:15 PM »
I'm sitting here in a hotel in Sioux Falls also. Stop on past the Dakotah Lodge and say howdy.

You don't say.  That's where I stay.  Remodeled but they need more light in the rooms...dark
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 08:12:47 PM »
 From SF, SD... go South and East down into Iowa, this should get you started. Delete the interstate part,  there are very good roads, hills and curves.  (Sioux City IA about  1hr.)

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/238/Iowa/The-Hub-of-the-Hills.html

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/239/Iowa/Old-Highway-141.html

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/367/Nebraska/Highway-75-Along-the-Missouri-River.html

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/364/Nebraska/Highway-12.html

BTW..almost every town over 50 people has a bike friendly saloon. I don't stop, buy many do.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:59:24 PM by bacongrease »

Offline Steve Scott

• Gaggle Hero
  • Ride, Fettle, Repeat
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 10:37:26 PM »
If you are into such things, the United States Geological Survey's EROS (Earth Resources Observation and Science center) is just a few miles North of you at 47914 252nd St. I've spent a lot of time working on their big satellite dishes, and will be there again in July... Summer this time for a change, I've already spent too much time there in the winter!

http://eros.usgs.gov/

Self-guided tours are available, but being a federal gov't facility they're a bit touchy about security nowadays. Make sure to check their 'visit us' page for ID requirements first.

http://eros.usgs.gov/visit
'79 Morini 500S
'00 'Guzzi Jackal
'67 Teisco ET-440
Spring Grove, PA USA

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 06:39:00 AM »
From SF, SD... go South and East down into Iowa, this should get you started. Delete the interstate part,  there are very good roads, hills and curves.  (Sioux City IA about  1hr.)

BTW..almost every town over 50 people has a bike friendly saloon. I don't stop, buy many do.

What he said...

I lived in Omaha for 9 long years.  The hills in western Iowa from Souix City to Council Bluffs offer some entertaining riding.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here