Author Topic: Final Drive Questions  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
Final Drive Questions
« on: April 01, 2015, 07:58:11 AM »
I have a few questions in regards to the final drive on my '81 G5. When riding last season, I noticed that 5th gear had a little whine. Not sure if that is normal or not, but from searching the forum maybe it's not a good thing. It wasn't super loud, but I could definitely tell when I was in 5th just by the slight change of gear type sound. I changed oil and such, and the old oil didn't seem to have any abnormalities to it (no chunks of metal or anything).

Second question... Are the final drives on the G5 the same as the 850t3, convert etc? Is there a "shorter" ratio one? I don't really drive highways, so if/when I were to ever work on the final drive I would consider a slightly shorter ratio for my application. Bad idea?

Thanks in advance for the help.

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Final Drive Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 10:26:17 AM »
I have a few questions in regards to the final drive on my '81 G5. When riding last season, I noticed that 5th gear had a little whine. Not sure if that is normal or not, but from searching the forum maybe it's not a good thing. It wasn't super loud, but I could definitely tell when I was in 5th just by the slight change of gear type sound. I changed oil and such, and the old oil didn't seem to have any abnormalities to it (no chunks of metal or anything).

Second question... Are the final drives on the G5 the same as the 850t3, convert etc? Is there a "shorter" ratio one? I don't really drive highways, so if/when I were to ever work on the final drive I would consider a slightly shorter ratio for my application. Bad idea?

Sounds to me like you are talking about the transmission, not the final drive?

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Dick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 10:44:31 AM »

G5 and T3 are the same (7/33). Convert is higher gearing(9/34). Convert also has finer pinion splines, so not easily interchangeable with the others. Good luck.

Oh yeah, there are sidecar gears which are lower, but probably too low for daily use, unless maybe your hauling a sidecar??
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:47:07 AM by Dick »

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 10:47:36 AM »
If the noise is only in 5th it's not the final drive. All my Guzzis have made a slight whine in 5th at a certain rpm.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 10:47:36 AM »

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 12:09:29 PM »
If the noise is only in 5th it's not the final drive. All my Guzzis have made a slight whine in 5th at a certain rpm.

That completely makes sense. Never thought of it that way, not sure why.. but I was thinking final drive for some reason. Thanks, that makes me feel better now.

Good deal on the ratios too. Not hauling a side car, but I'm riding 90% of the time 2-up so was just curious what my options were, if any.

Thanks for the replies.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here