Author Topic: GM settles w biker over self driving car...Reuters link  (Read 1377 times)

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
GM settles w biker over self driving car...Reuters link
« on: June 02, 2018, 06:50:07 AM »
There is a lot inside this story...2.2billion invested....33 of 40 crashes were GM Cruise cars but "not the fault of...", quiet settlements....defe nding the vehicle instead of laying blame on the operator could be establishing precedent

I'm telling ya now, the driverless car world will not allow motorcycles. Think boxes w wheels traveling in a cluster at exactly the speed limit or less and congested. Half of them delivery vehicles from Amazon. No room for a smart a$$ teenager on a Hayabuza, or me on a moped...too, ummm, maneuverable shall we say?  :bike-037:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gm-selfdriving/gm-settles-lawsuit-with-motorcyclist-hit-by-self-driving-car-idUSKCN1IX604
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
Re: GM settles w biker over self driving car...Reuters link
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 08:28:51 AM »
"Of roughly 40 crashes involving self-driving vehicles reported to California regulators since January 2017, 33 involved GM Cruise vehicles, but none have been declared to be the fault of GM Cruise, California records show."

"As the Cruise was re-centering itself, the motorcyclist that had just lane-split between two vehicles in the center and right lanes moved into the center lane, glanced the side of the Cruise, wobbled, and fell over, the report said. GM said a police report found Nilsson at fault for attempting to overtake and pass the Cruise, but Nilsson’s lawyer said he was not issued a citation in the incident."
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 08:42:51 AM »
Regardless of how you might feel about self driving cars the rider of the motorcycle made a poor decision. I have seen this situation unfold countless times on the road. A car moves to an adjacent lane but has to retreat to its original lane to avoid a collision. I saw it happen just last night on the way home from work.
I'm not going to put myself into that situation on a bike. And neither should Oscar Nilsson. I'm sorry that he was hurt, but a lawsuit? Sounds like gold digging in a deep pocket. Ain't that America?
Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 08:54:52 AM »
We wouldn’t need self-driving cars if folks used public transport. This sort of problem must appear absurd to people in the third world...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 08:54:52 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 09:09:58 AM »
It seems like the car saw a gap and decided to fill it, how many times have we been riding and seen the same gap but something told us it's not a good idea?
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »
Vehicle manufacturers can't make a turn signal work 100% of the time.
Do we really want them to make a car drive itself?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »
Vehicle manufacturers can't make a turn signal work 100% of the time.
Do we really want them to make a car drive itself?

My prediction is that (given the amount of money to be made, and the fact that "self-driving" cars allow people to feed their addictions while on the road) "self-driving cars" will reach a certain level ....

.... after which, due to the driver forgetting whether the system was "on" or "off", the car losing the plot when the lines disappear under new pavement, snow, dirt, etc and the driver not reacting properly, and non-programmed situations causing the car to decide to kill someone, the usage will come back down due to lawsuits and deaths, allowing use only in restricted areas.

Just my prediction.   We'll see!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 12:28:41 PM »
My prediction is that (given the amount of money to be made, and the fact that "self-driving" cars allow people to feed their addictions while on the road) "self-driving cars" will reach a certain level ....

.... after which, due to the driver forgetting whether the system was "on" or "off", the car losing the plot when the lines disappear under new pavement, snow, dirt, etc and the driver not reacting properly, and non-programmed situations causing the car to decide to kill someone, the usage will come back down due to lawsuits and deaths, allowing use only in restricted areas.

Just my prediction.   We'll see!

Lannis

You could be right. Although the kids today don't seem to want to drive. Mine don't want to, just another chore. What most of us here once regarded as a privilege and a joy has been taken to the extreme as we all clamored for the dream of having our own car and that has caused it to become a burden. Too much of a good thing? Probably.
I can see commercial vehicles being more or less autonomous on the open road but it's a loooonnnggg way to it being the norm for most vehicles.
Or.....it could be great sport! Buy an old beater F150 and go hunting for self-driving cars. Swerve around them and generally cause them confusion. We better have our fun before the machines wake up! We wont be needed much after that.
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Bonaventure

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 12:36:55 PM »
People in the developed world like to drive.  Vehicles are sold based on emotional appeal as to their character and capabilities.  I only see self driving cars as being a niche for a very long time.   
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 01:53:56 PM by oldbike54 »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »
People in the developed world like to drive.  Vehicles are sold based on emotional appeal as to their character and capabilities.  I only see self driving cars as being a niche for a very long time.  That having been said, there are a lot of career bureaucrats in federal and state government that live for the chance to legislate our freedoms away and protect us from ourselves.  A society where we're carted around like cattle as we stare fixated at some device screen may come to pass after all.  Hopefully I'm dead by then.

Yes, in before Dusty locks this thread...  :wink: :grin:

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 01:59:33 PM »
 <sigh>

Geez fellas , let's do avoid the politics of this .

Here is the deal , what future generations do about all of this is their business , if they choose self driving cars it isn't any concern of ours . Kinda funny , we are starting to sound like the old folks in 1965 who claimed R&R would cause the end of civilization , or going back a bit further there were people claiming automobiles would lead to nothing but death and destruction . Relax , what happens will happen whether us old people agree with it or not .

Dusty

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 02:31:31 PM »
If self driving cars/trucks can save us from the current and future "drivers" on our very packed roads. I may not be alive when this is the norm, but I believe it will happen and I don't view that as a bad thing.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 04:32:42 PM »
These are merely a stop-gap measure until matter transfer turns up. A passing fad (sic).
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here