Author Topic: An honest opinion please  (Read 11653 times)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: An honest opinion please
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2019, 07:27:17 AM »
You will pay premiums for anything related to Harley however.
A lot of my buddies ride em and love them.
Just saying they are more costly that’s all.

inditx

This is largely a myth.

I've shown many times how MSRP and OEM costs are in particular with other brands. Sure you can find premium dealers and extravagant bikes but you can buy em cheap and used these days more than ever.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2019, 08:38:23 AM »
This is largely a myth.

I've shown many times how MSRP and OEM costs are in particular with other brands. Sure you can find premium dealers and extravagant bikes but you can buy em cheap and used these days more than ever.

Ive seen that also.. My guess is that really its a glutted market. At least near me. You can get a nice Sportster a few years old for around 3K.. And really most are pretty solid, and low miles.. Even a big twin you can find something nice, in a style you like used for around 6..  really less then any Guzzi's... at least around me. Add to that the HUGE aftermarket, MANY dealers, and a vary large independent repair shop network.. they are really vary affordable near me.. 
Paul B

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2019, 08:51:23 AM »
Up around here, most sellers (and obviously a lot of buyers) still buy into the "Harley doesn't lose value" myth.

The exception is Sportsters... which, I believe, is due to the OTHER great myth of the Sporty as a "girl's bike" that one buys as a stop-gap to getting a "real bike".

But I still regularly see late 80s big twins for sale at $15-16K. Bikes 10 years old, for $3000 off sticker price...  it's ridiculous.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2019, 09:32:46 AM »
Up around here, most sellers (and obviously a lot of buyers) still buy into the "Harley doesn't lose value" myth.

The exception is Sportsters... which, I believe, is due to the OTHER great myth of the Sporty as a "girl's bike" that one buys as a stop-gap to getting a "real bike".

But I still regularly see late 80s big twins for sale at $15-16K. Bikes 10 years old, for $3000 off sticker price...  it's ridiculous.

Guess it depends on where you are..  Like I always said... all you guys on here finding all the cheap Guzzis, and nothing around me at all!!  Luckly I did find one... saved me from buying one of those "girls bikes" cheap. :)
Paul B

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2019, 09:32:46 AM »

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2019, 10:09:24 AM »
I was referring more to MSRP on bikes, parts, accessories, clothing and service costs.
Don’t believe those are myths as many buddies own them.
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2019, 10:11:08 AM »
Good point fossil.  :thumb:
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2019, 11:16:04 AM »
I was referring more to MSRP on bikes, parts, accessories, clothing and service costs.
Don’t believe those are myths as many buddies own them.

I am too.

When you compare like-to-like (and I have over the years, time and again, written long drawn out posts showing similar/like models from JAPanInc and the EU to similar product placement Harleys) the MSRPs were in the same ballparks. Parts and accessories too - you're, clothing and service etc.

The problem comes when someone compares say a V-star 650 (because of it's shape) with say a Softail and thinks they are comparing apples-to-apples.

Or maybe they compare an armored/vented leather Harley jacket to a Joe Rocket mesh that's branded Honda.

It's not like Guzzi accessories are cheap? Is Ducati service at a bargain price now? Are BMW accessories discounted? How about Klim, Aerostich, Arai, Shoei.

Yeah, if you're comparing to Bilt of course...but that's true for everyone.

EDIT - don't get me wrong here, Harley definitely has some HALO models from the CVOs to at least one or two models in each line that are just priced way up there cause they can. But at the same time they always have a couple of models that are priced at the other end in each line. When people say they are more expensive they are usually talking about the halo models, not the other end.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:37:21 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2019, 11:18:28 AM »

Geez where's that? I mean don't get me wrong, you see the dreamers of course.

I spent a year looking for the right BT EVO before I gave up on finding an unmolested one. But in that time I could have bought EVO BT's ALL DAY LONG for about $6k.

Now you can get the early and some of the later TC's for under $10k.

Yeah, 2-3 year old ones still often carry a price tag, but that's not a bad thing.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2019, 05:29:50 PM »
Buy a Honda.

Failing that, a Harley... their dealer network and support is insane. Every one horse town on the continent seems to have a H-D dealer/service centre.

I can't resist jumping in.  Yes, the Harley dealer network is amazing.  AND, they have a corporate mindset of getting traveling bikers back on the road as soon as possible - I have one friend who broke down on a cross-country trip & the dealer he was towed to let him put 3,000 miles on a brand-new loaner, while they waited for a replacement engine, so he could continue his trip.  And I've had dealers let me "jump the line" to get new tires on a trip more than a couple of times.

Another point, though.  As an old codger myself, I belong to a couple of different roadside emergency organizations so I can get help anywhere there is cell service.  Being broken down far from a dealership is more of an inconvenience than an emergency these days, especially if you're past the point of having unbendable trip schedule deadlines.  A couple of days in a small town waiting for a part to be FedExed in can provide an opportunity for some good stories to tell when you get home!

Last point - and I'm surprised nobody brought this up yet.  Are you sure this will be your LAST bike purchase?  Buying a Guzzi can result in a serious addiction.  I bought my "last bike" - a moderately old Guzzi - 4 years ago & just bought another "last bike" - another old Guzzi - 2 months ago.  And, if I'd had any money and room left in my garage I might have tried to buy another "last bike" that just dropped off ebay a couple of days ago.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2019, 06:00:21 PM »
I agree with jumpmaster.  Turned 80 earlier this month and thought that I was buying my "last bike" ( a Guzzi) in the summer of 2015.  Happy with the Guzzi,  but feel that there may be another in my future.
Bill H.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here