Author Topic: Carbon V7iii saved by Beetle  (Read 722 times)

Offline OlofE

• New Egg
Carbon V7iii saved by Beetle
« on: September 08, 2021, 01:33:47 PM »

Yet another great running V7 thanks to Beetle. Nothing really new in this story, but since I've been away for a while I figured I'd check in by reporting. Also my way to show appreciation for Mark - always quick to respond, helpful and patient. This bike turned up in the ads a few weeks ago, a 2018 with a mere 600 miles on the odometer. The seller obviously loved his bike - lots of accessories came with the bike - but it seldom left the garage. I was intrigued and visited the seller. It turned out that he was fairly new to motorcycles and the bike was not that nice to ride - gutless, vibey and with poor throttle response. I suspected he never felt really comfortable on it. Also he'd never serviced the bike or checked the oil. The oil level was fine, but tyres needed air (I suspect he never checked that either). The bike was spotless and the flat black with red valve covers actually looked great in real life (not a fan before that) so we struck a deal. I rode it home, changed the fluids, adjusted the valves (needed) and emailed Mark at www.griso.org. Hours later I had a  map in my inbox. Installing was straightforward and the result amazing. Now the bike is not only smooth and tractable but also pulles strongly and evenly to the redline. I could not be happier. Thanks Mark!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:22:23 PM by OlofE »

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Carbon V7iii saved by Beetle
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 04:32:50 PM »
Congratulations with a great new bike!

And thanks for saving it........

(is your name really Olof?)

Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 05:10:30 PM »
Congrats.  My 2018 Carbon never exhibited the problems you described.  Mmm.  Luck of the draw? 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline OlofE

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 08:29:27 PM »
@ twowheeladdict: it's all subjective. I've had other V7s with Beetle maps so I know how good these bikes can run. Without that frame of reference maybe I would not have been so critical. The seller did not think it ran bad. But I also think the unadjusted valve clearances played a part. Hard to tell since I addressed all at once.

@ pebra: yes my name is really Olof, why?

Anyway, it's good to be back on a Guzzi (I've had a few years on other bikes). I had forgotten how much soul these bikes have  :azn:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 08:29:27 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 08:38:16 PM »
@ twowheeladdict: it's all subjective. I've had other V7s with Beetle maps so I know how good these bikes can run. Without that frame of reference maybe I would not have been so critical. The seller did not think it ran bad. But I also think the unadjusted valve clearances played a part. Hard to tell since I addressed all at once.

Anyway, it's good to be back on a Guzzi (I've had a few years on other bikes). I had forgotten how much soul these bikes have  :azn:

Maybe if we run into one another down the road we can swap bikes and I can experience the difference. 

I have ridden so many different type of bikes from many different manufacturers and find that I adapt well to the idiosyncrasies of each one of them. 

I bent the shift lever out on my KLX300SM traversing a rock garden and didn't want to risk bad things by bending it back so I rode it that way another 5 days before I got home and could remove it to bend it in the vice.  I got so used to shifting by sliding my foot out from the peg and lifting that I am now having to relearn how to shift back in almost the original position.   
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 09:33:29 AM »
There is a real possibilty that the ABS was screwing with it because of low tire pressure.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 01:51:39 PM »

Oh, I think of it as a typically Swedish name, and apparently you reside in the USA.

Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 05:42:23 PM »
Oh, I think of it as a typically Swedish name, and apparently you reside in the USA.

I straight away knew why you asked Per.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here