Author Topic: URGENT SERVICE 850 miles New 1400 Eldo  (Read 27835 times)

pete roper

Re: URGENT SERVICE 850 miles New 1400 Eldo
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2019, 06:33:51 AM »
I think we've got a spare good one hanging around. Would you like to borrow it? Mind you if they are so f***ing hopeless they can't use even the excreble PADS to identify a problem what are the chances of them being able to install a new demand sensor and then do the handle and throttle re-learning?

Your shop are a pack of bloody clowns. Sell the bike and buy something that can be serviced by shaved apes, at least to the point it will haul your arse from 'A' to 'B'! Sure you shouldn't have this problem but you've been told endlessly what the problem is and these assholes sit there with there thumbs ups their arse and no idea!

No wonder Guzzi are seen as a 'Niche' market!?!?

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2019, 06:51:32 AM »
I think we've got a spare good one hanging around. Would you like to borrow it?

Thank-you Pete for that offer  :thumb:   - but I'm going to wait this out, just a bit longer.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2019, 07:52:38 AM »
I think we've got a spare good one hanging around. Would you like to borrow it? Mind you if they are so f***ing hopeless they can't use even the excreble PADS to identify a problem what are the chances of them being able to install a new demand sensor and then do the handle and throttle re-learning?

Your shop are a pack of bloody clowns. Sell the bike and buy something that can be serviced by shaved apes, at least to the point it will haul your arse from 'A' to 'B'! Sure you shouldn't have this problem but you've been told endlessly what the problem is and these assholes sit there with there thumbs ups their arse and no idea!

No wonder Guzzi are seen as a 'Niche' market!?!?
“Shaved Apes” LMAO😂😂😂😂😂you crack me up Pete 😂and as usual you are exactly right. Kev and I have been discussing this but I think right now he is between a rock and a hard place and due the cost of that stupid sensor he may be. Ether off to ride this one out. Lol, he got a  gazillion other bikes to ride👍

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2019, 06:38:52 PM »
Progress..... (I think)

I was informed (via a voicemail) that

"We found an error code and cleared it, and it kept coming back and we kept clearing it and it kept coming back so we took a bunch of stuff apart and went thru everything and put it back together and test rode it and the error code did not come back but we'd like to keep it a couple days to ride it to make sure"

They didn't say what the error code was.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2019, 06:38:52 PM »

beetle

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2019, 06:47:10 PM »

"Took a bunch of stuff apart"

What "stuff"? That would infuriate me. If you find the error code, we could probably diagnose it remotely better than these clowns.

:violent1:

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »
I would be insisting that every thing they touch on your bike is written down in detail on the service history.  Including the fault codes.  Any tech  with a clue about modern efi bikes should be able to sort this out with ease. 

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2019, 07:49:27 PM »
Meh.  It's possible that something got lost in the translation from tech to phone guy.

It'll probably just heal itself.

Can I get an AMEN ???

pete roper

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2019, 08:17:25 PM »
If, as we suspect, it's the demand sensor it won't 'Heal itself'. It may seem like 'White Man Ju-Ju' but it's not. It's a simple process of elimination. If it's throwing an error code then you dont just 'Take stuff apart'. You see what the code relates to and you concentrate on that part first! In this case the demand sensor!

Arrrrrggggghhhhh!

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2019, 08:29:32 PM »
If, as we suspect, it's the demand sensor it won't 'Heal itself'. It may seem like 'White Man Ju-Ju' but it's not. It's a simple process of elimination. If it's throwing an error code then you dont just 'Take stuff apart'. You see what the code relates to and you concentrate on that part first! In this case the demand sensor
Arrrrrggggghhhhh!

OK, well - I have a sack of chicken bones somewhere from today's dinner.  I could cast them..... and see what they say

:boozing: :boozing: :boozing:

In the mean time, EVERYONE please say a prayer for my bike.  I know that I AM. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 08:36:57 PM by kballowe »

pete roper

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2019, 08:51:14 PM »
Sadly prayer won't fix it either. Someone who doesn't look like this

doing the diagnostic work would probably be a good start. :evil:

Pete

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2019, 08:59:22 PM »
Kev, what did they say about the demand sensor? 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2019, 09:38:12 PM »
Kev, what did they say about the demand sensor?

I really didn't get a chance to talk with them, and they didn't say (in the voicemail).  Not that I hadn't already tried to convince them that it was the TPS sensor on more than one occasion.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:43:54 PM by kballowe »

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2019, 10:36:10 PM »
On June 8th you posted you were pleased with the dealer, Flying Tigers. Today, on July 28th, they still haven't rectified the likely Demand Sensor issue. Why haven't they been able to replace and warranty the demand sensor in all this time? What does a replacement demand sensor cost anyway? Perhaps anyone considering buying a leftover 1400 should get a new demand sensor with the bike to prevent this crazy situation.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2019, 10:49:59 PM »
On June 8th you posted you were pleased with the dealer, Flying Tigers. Today, on July 28th, they still haven't rectified the likely Demand Sensor issue. Why haven't they been able to replace and warranty the demand sensor in all this time? What does a replacement demand sensor cost anyway? Perhaps anyone considering buying a leftover 1400 should get a new demand sensor with the bike to prevent this crazy situation.
Hi Mark, I had to replace mine at 2700 miles. A new one is 450 bucks. My buddy Dave, found me a used one in Canada for 150.00. It was throwing the dreaded PO155, yep TPS. MY RESEARCH revealed a bad batch of these sensors were produced by the company who produced them, can’t remember who, and they were distributed throughout the cycle world. Several brands and year models use this sensor.

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2019, 11:06:00 PM »
Hi Mark, I had to replace mine at 2700 miles. A new one is 450 bucks. My buddy Dave, found me a used one in Canada for 150.00. It was throwing the dreaded PO155, yep TPS. MY RESEARCH revealed a bad batch of these sensors were produced by the company who produced them, can’t remember who, and they were distributed throughout the cycle world. Several brands and year models use this sensor.

Even more reason the demand sensor should have been warrantied and replaced many weeks ago. I can't imagine putting up with this drawn out non service repair when the demand sensor is known failure item. The options are few, either the technicians are shaved apes as Mr. Roper suggests or Piaggio has denied the warranty claim. Either option is multi faceted and simply untenable.   

Like I said, anyone purchasing a leftover Moto Guzzi that uses this demand sensor should work a replacement into the purchase agreement. I certainly would if I were buying a leftover 1400.

pete roper

« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2019, 11:29:16 PM »
The same demand sensor is used on all the bikes that use the 7SM including RSV-4, TV-4, Cali14, V85 and I think the Cappo 1200 to name but a few. A few years back there was a recall for a run of V4's that had dodgy demand sensors. I wonder if Piaggio just shunted them down the road to Mandello?

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2019, 12:06:52 AM »
That's a sign of a dead battery..

Being bit by a goose?
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2019, 04:59:52 PM »
OK, so "took a bunch of stuff apart" mostly meant that they took apart and inspected all of the electrical connectors and then cleaned each one and then added dielectric grease, and reassembled them.

The code that it kept throwing was 155.   
Yes, I know.

I'm told that "it's probably fixed", and so I will pick it up tomorrow.

Gentlemen - PLACE YOUR BETS !

- We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programs -
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:04:27 PM by kballowe »

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2019, 05:43:56 PM »
I'm sorry but that does not sound very promising.

And I won't even get started on the dielectric grease...

John Henry

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2019, 05:45:44 PM »
My bet is that Pete is correct and your bike is getting the equivalent of shaved ape service.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2019, 06:04:07 PM »
Just a little light at the end of the tunnel maybe. I’ve said l along that it was more than likely the TPS sensor because it acted just like mine did however there is a possibility it could have been a faulty connection related to the sensors. Just maybe, hopefully, cross your fingers, knock on wood etc etc etc!!!!!

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2019, 06:25:19 PM »
..........it could have been a faulty connection related to the sensors. Just maybe, hopefully, cross your fingers, knock on wood etc etc etc!!!!!

It's about 400 miles to the Wisconsin rally this weekend and I was planning to ride - BUT it looks like it's going to Wisconsin on a trailer.  Either way, it's going to Wisconsin.
 :thumb:

pete roper

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2019, 06:29:30 PM »
God's teeth! :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2019, 07:44:49 PM »
Did they connect it to PADS and verify the sensor function?  Takes all of ten minutes.  If not  ,  bring the trailer. Just sayin.
 I'll let someone else start the dielectric grease thread  :violent1:

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2019, 09:10:16 PM »
Piaggio should step up and get this crap off the street and get proactive.  It's dang stupid for the company to try to save a buck and throw what customers they have under the bus.  I'd think they should get these parts to the service dept and turn the bikes  around in the afternoon.  Geees, spend $15k on a bike and leave it in the shop for the first 30 days. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

pete roper

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2019, 09:21:45 PM »
John, in this case it's not Piaggio's fault. All the dealership has to do is submit a warranty claim stating that the bike is throwing the code and that the track voltages are out of range and warranty will be approved. Back when I was a service agent I submitted several such claims and they were all approved at the 'Local' level, ie in Oz, with no reference back to the factory.

It's a clear, identified issue. It should be fixed as soon as the part is available. Check the part# on the AF1 site. I'll bet if they don't have one in stock they will say it will ship in 5 to 7 days which means it's in stock in Atlanta or wherever their warehouse is now and just has to be sent to them. If it's in the warehouse this dealership needs to submit a warranty claim, get the part, fit it and do the handle and throttle learning. Two hours or so work in that at most I'd think. It's pure idiocy.

Pete

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2019, 09:44:41 PM »
John, in this case it's not Piaggio's fault. All the dealership has to do is submit a warranty claim stating that the bike is throwing the code and that the track voltages are out of range and warranty will be approved. Back when I was a service agent I submitted several such claims and they were all approved at the 'Local' level, ie in Oz, with no reference back to the factory.

It's a clear, identified issue. It should be fixed as soon as the part is available. Check the part# on the AF1 site. I'll bet if they don't have one in stock they will say it will ship in 5 to 7 days which means it's in stock in Atlanta or wherever their warehouse is now and just has to be sent to them. If it's in the warehouse this dealership needs to submit a warranty claim, get the part, fit it and do the handle and throttle learning. Two hours or so work in that at most I'd think. It's pure idiocy.

Pete
Pete, the problem I ran into when my 1400 went po155, TPS, the dealer told me the only way it could be fixed under warranty was if the factory furnished the parts and they were not allowed to get the needed part anywhere but the factory or I’d would not be covered.

pete roper

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2019, 10:16:51 PM »
You misunderstood me Dan. I'm not saying that they should get the part anywhere else, simply that by checking availability through somewhere like AF1 you can ascertain if the part is available in the warehouse, unless AF1 keep one on the shelf. Given the number of Aprilias and Guzzis they deal with chances are they may do so in which case you won't get an answer as to availability in the importer's warehouse but at least it's an indicator.

The thing is that if it is in stock in the importer's warehouse the only thing stopping Ken's bike being fixed properly is a perverse and obtuse attitude at the dealer to putting in a warranty claim!

Pete

pete roper

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2019, 11:09:41 PM »
Just checked AF1

That 'Arrives in 5-7 business days' means there is one in the US. If there isn't then it's usually three to five weeks, (From memory.)

Pete
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:14:57 PM by pete roper »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2019, 05:47:48 AM »

The thing is that if it is in stock in the importer's warehouse the only thing stopping Ken's Kevin's bike being fixed properly is a perverse and obtuse attitude at the dealer to putting in a warranty claim!

Pete

lol - close enough
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 05:49:57 AM by kballowe »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here