Author Topic: Sealing vehicle headlights after polishing. (ngc)  (Read 2929 times)

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Sealing vehicle headlights after polishing. (ngc)
« on: September 05, 2019, 03:57:30 PM »
Hello folks, I thought I would ask here, since you guys know everything! On my wifes honda CRV the headlights are sun damaged, and I plan to go through the fine sandpaper polishing routine using 1500, 2000, and then 2500 grit wet/dry ,then a foam polishing pad on the drill. I can get them smoothed out and clear again,no problem.
  What I am looking for is if you all have found any product that effectively "seals" the headlights, and protects from further UV damage? I have used plexus spray, formula 303, armor all, and a number of sealer waxes,and polymer waxes I have in the shop, and nothing really works well for me.
   Any suggestion, and experience you folks have with this appreciated.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: Sealing vehicle headlights after polishing. (ngc)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 05:16:03 PM »

I did that exact procedure on my wifes Chrysler last November and so far I just keep them waxed with California Gold carnuba. So far no deterioration. The one thing I found was the clear put over the lens from the factory was a real bear to sand off.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 05:58:47 PM »

The one thing I found was the clear put over the lens from the factory was a real bear to sand off.

Right you are. The clearcoat is a scratch- and abrasion-resistant coating on the polycarbonate lens. Polycarbonate itself is not particularly resistant to scratching and abrasion. It is good at impact resistant though. So, the coating obviously wants to resist the work you put in with the sandpaper and abrasives. The problem is that both the clearcoat and polycarbonate suffer from the effects of sunlight (UV). The coating deteriorates and the plastic oxidizes.

Based on that, what you want to look for is a polycarbonate-compatible coating that also offers some scratch resistance. Some of the kits you can buy for headlight restoration include a UV sealant for application after the headlights have been sanded and polished. Or, there's stuff like this and other products on Amazon (which I have never used mysef, so this is more a suggestion than an endorsement):

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-730-6-Headlight-Sealer/dp/B0051PJWQW/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1533228267&sr=1-3&keywords=headlight+uv+sealant
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 06:13:37 PM »
Hi Rick, have replied  to your pm's. I gave my phone #. Change tour mind?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 06:13:37 PM »

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 03:29:08 PM »
Rick........ ya there? Huh?

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 05:23:38 PM »
Thanks LeRoy, for 7 bucks I am going to try the stuff you posted the link to. Thanks for that and the knowledge sharing on polycarbonate! :thumb:
Rick.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 05:25:00 PM »
Rick........ ya there? Huh?

Sorry about being "AWOL", Dale, I am present, and accounted for!   :grin:
Rick.

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 05:50:43 PM »
I had good results with Rust-Oleum 2X ultra cover gloss clear for plastic.  Bought at Wal-Mart.  The lens has to be grease/oil/wax free and dry.  Spray very light coats.  Do one lens and let dry before doing the other to be sure your technique is right.  Has a tendency to "alligator" if you do it wrong.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 06:42:49 PM »
I had good results with Rust-Oleum 2X ultra cover gloss clear for plastic.  Bought at Wal-Mart.  The lens has to be grease/oil/wax free and dry.  Spray very light coats.  Do one lens and let dry before doing the other to be sure your technique is right.  Has a tendency to "alligator" if you do it wrong.

I used the same thing but its only been about 6 weeks so can't comment on how long it will last. I will say skip all the sanding. I have been using Mothers Aluminum Polish and it only takes 5 minutes per lens to get a high gloss.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 06:43:34 PM by PeteS »

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 06:43:14 PM »
Cleaning has been pointless for me.

I just buy a new set.  My '05 GMC diesel cost $160 for the headlights (with bulbs) , turn signals, fog lights (with bulbs).  Heck it cost me $60 for the front turn signal bulbs.  (1A Auto even has a video)

There've been 4 vehicles I've done it to and usually have good results.  (Ebay stuff can be bad).

Mark
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 06:44:22 PM by not-fishing »
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 08:30:31 PM »
Before you buy a lot of polish and sandpaper -- try polishing with toothpaste. It works great on our Subaru.  It's cheap and easy enough I don't mind doing it every spring.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:31:09 PM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 08:37:39 PM »
Before you buy a lot of polish and sandpaper -- try polishing with toothpaste. It works great on our Subaru.  It's cheap and easy enough I don't mind doing it every spring.

Does it whiten and reduce sensitivity of the lights as well?   :cool:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 09:03:24 PM »
I am in the replacement camp. $78 for a set for my old Hyundai, 20 minutes a side to install, with new bulbs. I never thought about coating them. How about Coppertone?

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 11:10:40 AM »
I am in the replacement camp. $78 for a set for my old Hyundai, 20 minutes a side to install, with new bulbs. I never thought about coating them. How about Coppertone?

Ditto I got certified lamps for the Civic a $80/pair from RockAuto with bulbs. The bumper is off in 15 minutes and install in 15 minutes and bumper back on it 15 minutes. 
It took me longer to get the beam correct than everything else. Setting up tape on the side of the house and finding a flat place in my driveway was a challenge. Then go for a ride and come back once or twice to get the aim perfect.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 03:46:07 PM »
Does it whiten and reduce sensitivity of the lights as well?

It certainly brightens.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 02:43:37 PM »
Thanks guys for the great info,and solutions. It looks like after polishing, you either have to apply a spray on clear coat, like the rust oleum product mentioned previously, or just keep a good coat of wax on them. I am thinking of trying out a catalyzed automotive urethane clear, like I use on regular paint jobs, and like others have stated, if I mess them up replacements are not that expensive for the more common vehicles.
Thanks alot folks,
Rick.

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 10:07:49 AM »
My brother and his wife had a beater CRV for several years with the cloudy headlights.  His wife would often run it into things, and one time she broke one of the headlights.  Frustrated by what seemed a constant issue of the wife beating on this vehicle, my brother put some clear packing tape over the cracks and holes in the lens (he doesn't even own a Guzzi :grin:).  Amazingly, where the tape was covering the plastic, it had become perfectly clear.  I remain skeptical as to whether a presentable, lasting repair could be made with packing tape.  :laugh:
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline Rusnak_322

• Gosling
1975 Moto Guzzi 850T - café racer in progress
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here