Author Topic: Stuck clutch  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Stuck clutch
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2019, 07:23:36 PM »
In over 50 years of motorcycle riding I have never witnessed a dry clutch sticking . Dunno .

Dusty

You need to come up to big temp swings of the frozen north, Dusty.. I have.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2019, 07:45:37 PM »
Hey! Good idea (running it on the center stand)!

NOT!  I'm glad the clutch is now fixed.  In the variety of suggestions about how to resolve it, running on the center-stand might be the most abusive.  The engine rotation technology and angles of the drive shaft can create a lot of stress on the joint.  Not ever a good idea to run in gear on the centerstand.  I would have supported up against a wall and bump the starter.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2019, 11:32:34 AM »
NOT!  I'm glad the clutch is now fixed.  In the variety of suggestions about how to resolve it, running on the center-stand might be the most abusive.  The engine rotation technology and angles of the drive shaft can create a lot of stress on the joint.  Not ever a good idea to run in gear on the centerstand.  I would have supported up against a wall and bump the starter.

I thought about that, so I did some measurement with a level and protractor. On the T, with its original Koni shocks, the difference in shock length between laden and wheel-off-the ground is only about .5 inch (12.25 with my 150lb aboard vs 12.75 unladen). That translates to about 5 degrees difference in swingarm angle. I'm guessing 5 degrees doesn't hurt much under no engine load and idle rpm for about 60 seconds.

YMMV
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2019, 12:42:55 PM »
It is not so much about the angle of the shaft, but of the inertia of all of the moving parts between the crankshaft and rear wheel.

The Guzzi engine does not rotate in a smooth and even rotational speed throughout its cycle.  Due to the "V" design, resistance to compression, and thrust force from combustion there is no such thing as a steady rotational speed or 'constant' rpm.  The flywheel is alternately accelerating and decelerating for angular portions of each cycle.  High RPM with loads going down the road this is not detectable and has no adverse effect on performance or abuse to components.  However, at lower rpms like idle and with the rear wheel unloaded off the ground and with the inherent slop clearances in each gear cog mesh and spline mesh there can now be some very abusive forces delivered up and down the drive train.  The poor little needle bearings of the U-joint take the brunt of these unequalized forces.  It just isn't a good idea for mechanical reasons to run the bike in gear up on the centerstand.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2019, 12:42:55 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2019, 01:53:29 PM »
I totally agree with Patrick.  :grin: I did it once with the Centauro looking for a noise, and thought, "Horry Carp!" That wasn't a good thing.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2019, 02:17:44 PM »
Understood!  Won't do it again.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2019, 05:32:16 PM »
Understood!  Won't do it again.
One of the first posts I ever read here was from Pete Roper on that very topic.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here