Author Topic: What Do You Not Like About Moto Guzzi?  (Read 6251 times)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
What Do You Not Like About Moto Guzzi?
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:29:22 PM »
Mostly we rave about all the wonderful good groovy stuff we like about our Guzzis, and what the unwashed heathens don’t grok about a Guzzi.  I get that. 

Ok.  Fess up.   Want do you actually **not** like about a Guzzi?

I’m sure most folks will mention spotty dealer network.   Fair point.  What else?

I’m not a fan of Guzzi clutch access.  I get it.  That kind of engine layout puts the clutch in the back, where it’s not easily accessed.   Just saying—I sure like a clutch off to the side of an engine where you could work on it during a coffee break. 

Another thing I don’t like.   Starting a Guzzi seems very dramatic—high amps, lots of spinning and grinding and cranking  and clunking until finally the motor lights off.     I must admit I prefer my other bikes where the engine seems to start reliably in half a crank rotatation.    I guess it’s like old outboard motors and lawn mowers.   I really liked the ones that started instantly and therefore gave you confidence they would always start instantly.   I guess I’m never sure about a Guzzi.   

Other Guzzi gripes?
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
Re: What Do You Not Like About Moto Guzzi?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 07:53:47 PM »
A bit more  precise crank balancing in the 949 round fins and 1064 square motors. Could have done a better job on the front suspension on  some of the  Tontis (pre 45mm forks on Calis). Some fit and finish issues throughout the 1980's and  some electrical annoyances due to cost saving.  Heck, not a long list for me but living with those issues has  caused  me  to purchase other makes in the past decades
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 07:57:29 PM »
Yea, one has to mention not only the lack of dealers but dealers that know what they are doing with MGs. Second is the inconsistant QC and support when they do FU. They have always seemed to do many things brilliantly and some things beyond WTF? On the plus side whether my T-3 or my Norge either almost always puts that stupid "I am having too much fun here" smile on my face.
GliderJohn
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 08:43:33 PM by gliderjohn »
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online knockerjoe

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 08:01:57 PM »
As being fairly new to Guzzi as I’m on my second, My only gripes are poorly
written and inadequate maintenance manuals and hard to find parts.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 08:01:57 PM »

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 08:06:42 PM »
Honestly I’m not in love with the shaft drive on the Norge

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 08:06:50 PM »
One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor.  Paul Simon.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline DaddyRabbit

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 08:13:16 PM »
no real gripes with the machine itself, but my Cali1400 needs more fuel capacity/better mileage.  I'd like to register 200 miles between fillups, but that would be nearly 6 gallons.  With a Russell Day Long seat and bar risers I sit very comfortably and its annoying to have to stop for fuel before the grin wears off and the butt fatigues. 

DR
Ride with your kids...its cheap therapy for both of you.

03 Cali SS - gone
07 Vintage - gone
09 Stelvio -gone
13 California 1400
18 KTM 1290 SAS

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 08:13:47 PM »
I guess I could forgive the dealer network if they'd just actually fix the shit they screw up.

But those are my only complaints.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 08:18:51 PM »
None of our modern engines are going to fire instantly, the cam and crank position sensors need a revolution or two to do their jobs. Assuming the MGs have both of these. Remember I am new to Guzzi's and still learning.

My main gripe is not being able to see the readouts from the dashboard in certain lighting conditions. This might seem trivial but my bike can gain several mph with a slight twist of the grip. 2016 Audace.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 08:46:15 PM »
From knockerjoe:
As being fairly new to Guzzi as I’m on my second, My only gripes are poorly
written and inadequate maintenance manuals and hard to find parts.
Yep, that is another good one, except most parts at least are easy to find.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 08:59:01 PM »

Why does a new  Guzzi need sorting right out of the dealership.  One could pay in excess of $10000 and then have to tinker with it to make it run right.  When you buy a new car you don't have to immediately remap the fuel infection to get it to run right and you don't have to grease bearings that should have been greased at the factory and then rewire the lights or the starter, then overhaul the top end because the design was faulty.  Attention to detail in quality control and predelivery would go a long way to make me part with some hard earned bucks to buy a V85.
Cheers, Tim
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 09:23:23 PM »
Why does a new  Guzzi need sorting right out of the dealership.  One could pay in excess of $10000 and then have to tinker with it to make it run right.  When you buy a new car you don't have to immediately remap the fuel infection to get it to run right and you don't have to grease bearings that should have been greased at the factory and then rewire the lights or the starter, then overhaul the top end because the design was faulty.  Attention to detail in quality control and predelivery would go a long way to make me part with some hard earned bucks to buy a V85.
Cheers, Tim
you nailed it Tim..

I'll add ..  too long and too heavy.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 09:51:03 PM »
The inaccuracy and fragility of the speedometer is annoying. Bleeding linked brakes is a pain, also. My experience is limited, as my Vintage is the only Guzzi I've owned. I'd be really happy if I had a super competent dealer nearby, but I get along by doing routine maintenance/tire changes myself. When I do seek out service help I have to take a drive, but I've got friends and family near some of the shops I would use. The fuel mapping on my CalVin needed work, but I understand that it's getting tougher and tougher to get an air-cooled bike certified. I corrected it rather inexpensively. In all, my Guzzi remains a satisfying and endearing ride. My complaints are few and easily overlooked/corrected...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 10:32:11 PM »
While the whole marketing department deserves annual trips to the woodshed, what I find perhaps most annoying are some of the atrocious names they come up with.

"Come see the V7 Rough"

"Moto Guzzi Audace - We don't know how to say it either!"

"The V7 Brick Post Board Boat Anchor Stone -- Perfect!!

V7II and V7III - What kind of chaos do these cause at the DMV?

Rule #1 when building a factory bobber - don't slap a badge on it calling it a Bobber! That's like putting a "Sleeper" badge on your Hemi Belvedere!
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 10:36:40 PM »

I became shy of new Guzzis after my then new Coppa Italia chewed up the camshaft at 800 miles with no oil starvation problems found . The way Piaggio handled my claim was nothing short of lame. The local Guzzi dealer ( a great shop in Santa Rosa now defunct) helped me out with the labor, but I had to have the cam repaired and supply new lifters . To this day I have not purchased a new Guzzi.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:38:56 PM by guzzista »
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 10:46:42 PM »

V7II and V7III - What kind of chaos do these cause at the DMV?

All true.... But they were doomed here from the start.

According to the NJ DMV my 13' Stone is a brand "Mot", I need to check the V7III to see if it's the same.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 10:53:33 PM »
Shifting. As soon as I make adjustments to stop it from clunking while changing gears somewhere it’s going to clunk somewhere else.I’ve had a Classic and a Stone.It’s the only reason I would ever consider changing brands. I’m sure someone is going to say theirs shifts like butter.

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 10:55:45 PM »
There was a cartoon in an old MGNOC newsletter. Probably penned by Tom Chipley. It showed two guys in Guzzi shirts complaining about their bikes:  "Dang clutch is out again." "Yeah, my rear main seal is leaking. Again."  "Insufficient electrical power to keep battery charged. "
"Junk!"    Then a guy in a Harley shirt walks up and says, " How you like them Goozies, huh?"   Both Guzzistis stick out their chest, and say in unison, "Best bike I've every owned!" "Guzzis are the BEST!" "Reliable!" "Best handling!"  :grin:

I love the damn things. But, I'm tired of keeping the old beaters I usually ride running.  Never wanna crab a frame again! And, I'm too lazy to take a self taught course in Canbus and Beetlemaps, etc. to get a newer one. Following this forum all these years shows me how much trouble new bikes can give even the most rabid fans of the marque.  So, I'll watch other people enjoy their bikes from the sideline until another Guzzi comes along that overcomes my common sense.  :wink:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 11:04:30 PM by Shorty »
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 12:42:18 AM »
My three, an 87LM, 85LM and 77T3 all start instantly, so cranking and cranking before firing up isn't an issue. With FI, at least in the cages I've had, the drill is crank it once, turn key off, then crank it again and it starts right up.

Yeah - front suspension! Guzzi invented cartridge forks, but it took a long time to realize they couldn't invent cartridges that worked worth a damn, and sourced them from somewhere else.

Yeah, being able to work on the clutch during a coffee break would be nice, but I'd still rather work on a guzzi clutch than replace a Goldwing alternator. From what I gather, guzzi clutches had many issues over the years - as a matter of fact, I've had to deal with that with all three of mine, but one of them wasn't guzzi's fault, more the result of a bad hurricane.

I can't complain about length or weight. It is what it is and not much can be done about that, but I do have a slight issue of the left valve cover trying to co-exist with my knee.

So far, the gauges have worked fine - I'm good there. But the speedometer cable was a PITA. Made up a new one and because it was a little bit long it messed up the speedometer. Had to dismantle the speedo and fix it.

Luckily I haven't had to deal with the spotty QC and warranty claims. One of the reasons to avoid new bikes. Gotta look on the bright side how Guzzi has been making mechanics out of riders since 1921. That's valuable!

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 01:27:00 AM »

I can't complain about length or weight. It is what it is and not much can be done about that, but I do have a slight issue of the left valve cover trying to co-exist with my knee.

My Loops, no problem. My EVT has the best polishing job on the rear of the LH side, damn near like a mirror :wink:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 05:20:51 AM »
The ones I lust after cost too much!

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 05:59:20 AM »
First year as a owner for me..  As a overall brand I say the biggest issue is the company itself. No dealer support, not handling claims fairly, no dealer base..  A lot of the other issues would come together if that was better. Other then that.. really some models have things I don't line over others, but really Im happy with them as a bike. They fit my need and style well.
Paul B

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 06:51:18 AM »
Shifting gears, it's not pleasant, and they've had decades to correct it. How many times has the word 'agricultural' been used?
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2019, 07:01:40 AM »
These bitchfests can be funny but how does Piaggio fix the dealer network issues?  The real problem is how to keep a good dealer/tech in the fold after the demands made on them by Piaggio? Dealers had their own topic on customers, how about some dealers chiming in with real issues they're facing from Piaggio? Are they {Piaggio} planning a new dealer push we're unaware of? They have a hot new model and almost NOWHERE it can be seen/ridden. Back on topic now, the wiring schematics in workshop manuals are unreadable. :bike-037:

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2019, 07:07:56 AM »
I did quite a bit of research before buying my current V7II , wanted a III but an offer I couldn’t refuse was made . Sooo , I new pretty much what I was biting off . Still quite satisfied. It’s a great second bike. Plus who doesn’t want a choice when heading for the barn ?

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2019, 07:28:25 AM »
 I hate on how they keep filling up my Garage!
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2019, 07:38:03 AM »
One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor.  Paul Simon.

Yes, indeed..."One man's bread is another man's poison..." (Don't know who quoted that one...)

My issue is I wish there were more dealers, and more support for ALL these dealers from the factory... :rolleyes: :shocked:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

pete roper

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2019, 07:44:24 AM »
They're all owned by bastards.

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2019, 07:44:56 AM »
Love my bike. First guzzi i have owned and i find it to be really easy to live with and fix. My gripes are the suspension. You really feel every bump. That may be an error on my part with adjustment. But i hear v7 ii are known for that. I would like it if guzzi had made it a 4 valve instead of two although the ease of adjusting two valves is nice.

So for every problem i see an easy fix. One thing that does surprise me is that every time i hop on a different bike rarely do i feel blown away by the power.

I think for the weight Guzzi has a decent power output. That being said more punch would be nice.

I find myself tempted by Ducati or aprilia but Guzzi just gets to me in the looks department. As i tell my wife im shallow.

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2019, 08:01:08 AM »
Hi all,                                                                                                     9-16-19

Cali 1400 -

I'm not a fan of the unnecessary lumpy idle.  Personally, I would prefer a smoother, less shaky one.  I have heard that it appeals to other "Merican" riders, but I am not among them.  Other than that niggling complaint all is well.

DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here