Author Topic: Changing timing gears in a 850 T  (Read 911 times)

Offline Woodrow

• New Egg
Changing timing gears in a 850 T
« on: September 16, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »
I hope someone can advise .  Im changing the aluminum timing gears out of a 850T and replacing them with a original chain and sprockets .

I have the oil pump gear off,, and the crank gear nut off,, also the  timing gear nut off .  I have the timing marks lined up on the crank gear and timing gear .   

Im hoping that if I install the chain and sprockets with the timing marks correct ,  all should be good .  Right ?

Do I need to back the spring pressure off the cam by backing off the rocker arms ?   I am nervous that the cam will turn when I pull off the cam gear .   Do i need to be nervous ?

Thats it.  I think a cleanout of oil sump and a oil flush should do the job .   

Woodrow

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Changing timing gears in a 850 T
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 10:07:13 AM »
Yes, be safe, only do it once. Pull rockers. AND keep an eye on shaft movement if it has curved gears or pull as a group. When you get done w/chain placement check w/degree plate on crank.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

pete roper

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 01:58:00 AM »
If the left pot is set up at TDC compression the timing marks on the sprockets should align and the cam won't move.

Pete

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 02:56:12 AM »
If gears are straight cut and marked A.D. i’d.like to buy if poss. Pm me

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 02:56:12 AM »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here