Author Topic: Oil change on V9  (Read 289 times)

Offline faffi

• Gosling
Oil change on V9
« on: March 02, 2024, 05:45:29 PM »
The workshop manual, from Guzzi, that I have for my V9 shows there to be two oil drain plugs; one at the front and one at the rear of the oil pan. Plus the filter. My engine only has, as far as I can detect, the rear drain plug and, of course, the oil filter. So, am I daft or blind, or is the manual wrong? I used Motor 10W60 full synth and OEM oil filter after the old oil had drained.

The oil had done just under 5K miles, and the engine oil level during the 3K miles I have owned the bike dropped from about mid-level to just above the minimum level on the dipstick. There was a very thin coat of metal clinging to the magnetic oil plug, and also what appeared to be some metal in the oil film resting in the oil filter lid/pan/what do you call it? Still, I reckon the amount to be well within normal. My Virago engine always leave far more metal behind between oil changes.
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: Oil change on V9
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 06:22:04 PM »
The manuals often repeat areas from previous manuals when they say 98% of the same thing, I’ve found. In this case, the oil service section is a repeat—pics included—of the prior V7 II manual. Through the years the E4 V9 changes the engine a little here and there, but I believe all hemi head motors came with only one drain bolt. At least that’s been my cursory search whenever I perused the parts fiches from time to time.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 06:59:09 PM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline DAMMAG

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 06:55:35 PM »
My Virago engine always leave far more metal behind between oil changes.

A virago also has a gearbox that uses the same oil and this is where a lot of the metal would come from on a Virago oil change. On a Guzzi (excepting the new V100) the engine oil lubricates only the engine so there's not a lot of ferrous parts that would shed metal chunks you would notice on a sump plug.

Offline Zenermaniac

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 08:13:40 PM »
Same as on my V9 - only one drain bolt for the engine oil.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 08:13:40 PM »

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 08:41:18 PM »
I bought my 17' V9 Bobber as a new left over from Cadre Cycle in 2019. Since then I have done two oil changes on it. Pretty much had the same process as you have. Shop manual shows front and back drain plugs but on my bike only one on the rear as every other Guzzi I have ever owned. I had some metal swarf on the first change and only very minimal on the second. Bike has 8k on now. I did find out on the first change if you put in bit to much in the crank case it will windup in the air box. There is a small clear tube on the side of the air box that will fill with oil if you over did it. I got it right on the second change as the tube has remained dry.
As far as the dip stick level is concerned for me it's different depending on if the bike is sitting on its tires or up on the aftermarket center stand I installed. No matter witch way I have not seen any indication of excessive oil use.
Sounds to me like you are good to go.
On an other note my original factory YUSA battery gave it up late last fall. I have replaced it with a lithium unit. I am wondering if any one else has done this with their late model V9 bike.

Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 08:54:14 PM »
If you guys are wondering, every smallblock before it for a long while had two drain plugs. That includes my 2013.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 08:54:36 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 09:06:56 PM »
Sorted of figured that it was something like that. Never really worried about it. The only other small block I have ever been involved with was my wife's first bike. A V50 III way back in the day.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 03:00:54 AM »
Thank you for the replies. I have only had a couple of bikes with litium batteri. The Virago, but it failed to deliver enough juice, and the MT07, where it has been flawless for 9 years.

As to the Virago, of course the gearbox matter, should have thought about that. In auddition, the starter gears run in engine oil, and they leave lots of swarf.
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here