Author Topic: How cool is cool enough  (Read 7464 times)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: How cool is cool enough
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2016, 09:39:49 PM »
The next time an 8V Norge comes in for service, I'll check the valves after the fans kick on at 125*C . Usually gets there while setting throttle bodies on a warm day.
Interesting to see what they are while you are sitting in traffic boiling your oil and scraping your flat tappets.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

canuguzzi

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2016, 10:19:50 PM »
  Short answer, Yes. Thats why engineers that design this stuff have to know what the properties of the materials they plan on using are and consult with metallurgists and suppliers to find the best for their application. Thats why many years ago they filled valves with sodium and utilized stainless because of it's stability under temperature fluctuations.

Paul :boozing:

And then any concerns about temps are kind of irrelevant if there is a reasonable cooling off period to get the engine close to ambient temp since temps change throughout the year?

The temp differences between summer and winter could easily be more than 20 degrees and thus so could the valves, even after sitting overnight. It would seem the manufacturer knows this and builds in enough tolerance so that we really don't need to worry about it.

I'd be more concerned that the set of feeler gauges being used were accurate and the piston was at correct TDC than if the engine was at 60 degrees vs 80 degrees because that was the temp of the engine after it cooled to ambient air temp.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:20:56 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2016, 10:43:54 PM »
BMW specified 35C in the 70/80s R bikes factory workshop manuals.  That converts to 95F.

Ciao,
Dick Casey
84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »
nail head hit!

From the factory perspective, all concerns are addressed by stating that adjustment be done on a cool 70* engine. I still adjust after the bike has set overnight.  I'm curious nonetheless at what temperatures the expansion/contraction really mean something.   

Well, off the top of my head, I can remember that the thermal coefficient for most steel alloys is right around .000006" per degree Fahrenheit per linear inch, and that the thermal coefficient for most aluminum alloys is approximately twice that at .000012" per degree Fahrenheit per linear inch.
To answer the question at what temperature does the whole expansion/contraction thing makes meaningful difference? I suppose that depends how accurate your instruments are. but if you run the math plus or minus 20 degrees (F.) the change in relationship in the parts is about .00048".
I am not going to sweat checking the valves on a cool 50 degree morning or a hot 90 degree afternoon so long as the bike has been off for at least 8 hours prior.

Skippy     
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here