Author Topic: Hardaspie's SYM Wolf threadfest  (Read 8303 times)

HardAspie

Hardaspie's SYM Wolf threadfest
« on: March 18, 2016, 09:59:37 PM »
My motorcycle quest took me nearly a year. During that time I had to explore my deep emotions relative to motorcycles and uses of one. What is it for? What is more important, the bike or the travel I can do with one? What is more important, the pragmatic stuff like ability to see a dentist, or the more spiritually rewarding fun rides? What will I want to do for fun, long trips, short rides to blow the cobwebs out of my mind? I had to ponder all this. Then I had to think rationally. I need a tool. I have found that tools can be pretty good toys but that toys are oft less than acceptable tools. How much can I afford to buy and own and operate? What will be the total financial involvement per mile? I know this is a buzzkill but my income is fixed and so if I bust parameters the bike will be parked rather than my credit card growing in horror. And all this had to be integrated and a solution synthesized.

Along the way I encountered my social insecurity pittance; that caused me to reconsider my less than stellar earning ability and an insecure future. What sort of bike could fit into that? And I also pondered just how few vehicular success I have had. let me say that as I approached purchase of the Wolf, I could feel a great bivalence to my feelings; a great excitement and a nearly as great fear. The bike cost a bit less than three thousand dollars; which to me is a huge commitment.

And I did it. And I am happy. And I am exhaling now in a breath of resolve and with emotional fatigue. Bike goes to shop next Friday for oil change to keep warranty intact and let Matt look at it. Whew! Soon it will be ready to go anywhere! Adventure; adventure long underway.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 11:48:29 AM by oldbike54 »

Lcarlson

Re: Whew! MC but not MG content
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 10:11:45 PM »
You're back on two wheels -- feel the joy!

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 10:12:12 PM »
Good to hear all the stars aligned in the right direction for you!   :thumb:
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

HardAspie

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 10:27:08 PM »
The stars are lined up and two wheels is the result. I could not ask for more.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 10:27:08 PM »

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:45:44 PM »
Pictures!! And congratulations!
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

HardAspie

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 10:50:07 PM »
I should probably get a camera.  huh?

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 10:51:42 PM »
Or bring it over to the Guzzi rally in May, we'll take the pics for ya.  :grin:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

HardAspie

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 10:56:43 PM »
Or bring it over to the Guzzi rally in May, we'll take the pics for ya.  :grin:

That is my plan indeed!

K250

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 07:21:31 AM »
Congratulations, Laura!  Did you get the wolf?  What color?

K250

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 07:22:48 AM »
Do you have safety gear?  We might have to dig around in our closets to see what we can find if need be...

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 08:06:01 AM »
May the Road Gods smile upon you.

Sincerely,
Maurie.

lucydad

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 08:37:42 AM »
Mercury's winged sandals will carry you far and fast...

Jupiter will endow benefits of luck, abundance and joy...

Finally, Mars will endow dancing twists into the wind....

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 09:31:07 AM »
My motorcycle quest took me nearly a year. During that time I had to explore my deep emotions relative to motorcycles and uses of one. What is it for? What is more important, the bike or the travel I can do with one? What is more important, the pragmatic stuff like ability to see a dentist, or the more spiritually rewarding fun rides? What will I want to do for fun, long trips, short rides to blow the cobwebs out of my mind? I had to ponder all this. Then I had to think rationally. I need a tool. I have found that tools can be pretty good toys but that toys are oft less than acceptable tools. How much can I afford to buy and own and operate? What will be the total financial involvement per mile? I know this is a buzzkill but my income is fixed and so if I bust parameters the bike will be parked rather than my credit card growing in horror. And all this had to be integrated and a solution synthesized.

Along the way I encountered my social insecurity pittance; that caused me to reconsider my less than stellar earning ability and an insecure future. What sort of bike could fit into that? And I also pondered just how few vehicular success I have had. let me say that as I approached purchase of the Wolf, I could feel a great bivalence to my feelings; a great excitement and a nearly as great fear. The bike cost a bit less than three thousand dollars; which to me is a huge commitment.

And I did it. And I am happy. And I am exhaling now in a breath of resolve and with emotional fatigue. Bike goes to shop next Friday for oil change to keep warranty intact and let Matt look at it. Whew! Soon it will be ready to go anywhere! Adventure; adventure long underway.

Still looking for that picture with you and your bike Laura!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

HardAspie

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 10:18:21 AM »
Congratulations, Laura!  Did you get the wolf?  What color?

Got it! It is black, and tasty classic looking with a red frame. On the SYM site I had read that people will ask, "How old is it?" This has happened to me twice already.

Do you have safety gear?  We might have to dig around in our closets to see what we can find if need be...

Thus far I have a leather jacket I have had for years, gloves, boots - bought cheap at Big 5, and a new HJC CL - 17 Snell full face helmet. More to come! I plan also on adding to the bike at the very least a rack and set of throw over saddlebags...and a lock and chain. It is very small and light and could be lifted into the back of a pickem up truck easily. Also a tool bag. During the past couple of days I bought a set of combo wrenches, a screw and nut driver set, and ordered two more combo wrenches from Summit Racing - for rear axle nuts. More to come here too, including a box to organize it all into.
There are a few other things on my mind too. All that should happen will.

K250

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 09:52:35 PM »
Outstanding! :bike-037:   Glad to hear you have some good gear to go with that new bike.   And some tools.  You are set!  Be careful now!   Looking forward to some ride reports.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 10:00:54 PM »
What is more important, the pragmatic stuff like ability to see a dentist, or the more spiritually rewarding fun rides?

Funny, one of my favorite rides is to my dentist.  It's back roads all the way, and I rarely see another vehicle until I get to the town he's in.  It's a 140 mile round trip, and it's fun to get to talk to him and his assistants while I'm there.  I wonder how many other people look forward to dentist appointments.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 10:01:44 PM »
Congrats on the new ride Laura.

Now waiting on the first ride reports. :popcorn: :popcorn: :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

HardAspie

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 10:36:30 PM »
Well, the puppy is growing up quickly.

1. I have about 200 miles on it now and next Friday it will head for the vet for first oil change. I plan to get dealer service to keep warranty intact...no questions.
2. First gauging of fuel use is questionable as there are unknown variables as to accuracy of both odometer and petrol station fill. But I calculated 90.
3. First night ride, as a light test. The rear brake light did not activate so I took two stops off the brake adjuster at rear wheel and also tightened up the switch a touch. Brake light now works fine. . .
4. . . . and I found the headlamp just a bit far out for my taste so I brought it in a bit.
5. Went over several easily found fasteners and located one slightly loose. Tightened.
6. Oil looks good both level and cleanliness.
7. Learning how to start it: Combination of how much choke and how much throttle. It seems to like very little choke and a tad of throttle for a quick start.
8. I love the handling! The brakes are also good. And the bike is pretty peppy for having 9 cubic inches. I have not taken it above 6,500 RPM yet.
9. Have mirrors set pretty well.
10. Have used bicycle panniers - they fit poorly - to go shopping a couple of times, including the wrenches used for head and brake lamp adjustments above.
Nice Wolfie pup! Woof!

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2016, 10:43:24 PM »
Excellent.   

That thing looks like a hoot.  Ride the wheels off it!
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

HardAspie

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 10:47:01 PM »
From owner reports I suspect nearer 80...and think an odo overread - since when is that new? And probably some fill inaccuracy too. So far so good!

HardAspie

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 11:06:17 PM »
Funny, one of my favorite rides is to my dentist.  It's back roads all the way, and I rarely see another vehicle until I get to the town he's in.  It's a 140 mile round trip, and it's fun to get to talk to him and his assistants while I'm there.  I wonder how many other people look forward to dentist appointments.

I have actually had a good time during a root canal! My dentist at that time described each move and task and, well, it worked for me!

HardAspie

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 11:07:31 PM »
It is a hoot! Lots of riding is the goal. Only time will tell now whether it is a long term keeper...no reason to think otherwise. I think it likes me; followed me home, I want to keep it!

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 11:34:31 PM »
I have actually had a good time during a root canal! My dentist at that time described each move and task and, well, it worked for me!

Amazing!  Same here.  I knew my tooth's nerve was dead beforehand, so I wasn't worried about pain.  The guy told me how much Xylocaine, or whatever they're using now, he was going to squirt in around it.  I suppose he was trying to put me at ease.  I asked if it was necessary and he said is was.  Then he did the Roto-Rooter job and filled it with gutta percha as usual.  When it was all done, I asked him if in retrospect he thought I needed any pain killer, and his answer was "probably not."  I chuckled.

I need anyone working on me to keep me informed throughout the procedure.  This started when I was very young and getting shots from my pediatrician.  I needed to watch the needle go in, or I was terrified.  One time one of his assistants tried to keep my head turned away, and I raised Hell.  Doc Macleod asked her to let me watch, and I was fine.  Since then I've always wanted to be aware of the events.  That has included two colonoscopies that I had done with no sedation, and watched the monitor while the doctor explained everything along the tunnel.  It was fascinating seeing the blue color where my liver is against the colon, the opening to my appendix, and other amazing features.  The doctor obviously enjoyed explaining things to an interested patient too.  Last time, the nurse commented that I complained less than many patients who get sedated.  I told her that the extent of the discomfort is about like eating too much Mexican food.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

HardAspie

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 11:44:04 PM »
Amazing!  Same here.  I knew my tooth's nerve was dead beforehand, so I wasn't worried about pain.  The guy told me how much Xylocaine, or whatever they're using now, he was going to squirt in around it.  I suppose he was trying to put me at ease.  I asked if it was necessary and he said is was.  Then he did the Roto-Rooter job and filled it with gutta percha as usual.  When it was all done, I asked him if in retrospect he thought I needed any pain killer, and his answer was "probably not."  I chuckled.

I need anyone working on me to keep me informed throughout the procedure.  This started when I was very young and getting shots from my pediatrician.  I needed to watch the needle go in, or I was terrified.  One time one of his assistants tried to keep my head turned away, and I raised Hell.  Doc Macleod asked her to let me watch, and I was fine.  Since then I've always wanted to be aware of the events.  That has included two colonoscopies that I had done with no sedation, and watched the monitor while the doctor explained everything along the tunnel.  It was fascinating seeing the blue color where my liver is against the colon, the opening to my appendix, and other amazing features.  The doctor obviously enjoyed explaining things to an interested patient too.  Last time, the nurse commented that I complained less than many patients who get sedated.  I told her that the extent of the discomfort is about like eating too much Mexican food.

What can I say? Medical high five!

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2016, 11:06:40 AM »
Very cool.  Happy for you.  Nothing like the thrill/peace/tranquility/joy of riding.   :grin:
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

twowings

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 03:38:50 PM »
Congratulations! Don't let that seat get dusty.... :laugh:

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 02:38:46 AM »
Sounding good Laura.

Nothing beats actually enjoying the bike you are riding.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 09:51:46 AM »
Lupino howls... sorta.

I hope you ride the wheels offa it though, not too soon.

90? Nothing wrong with rounding up.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 10:32:37 AM »
10. Have used bicycle panniers - they fit poorly - to go shopping a couple of times, including the wrenches used for head and brake lamp adjustments above.
Nice Wolfie pup! Woof!

I have a pair of "Paul Jr. Design" (made by Coleman) soft 'bags that might work for you. Pretty nice - have built in rain covers and reflective material. New, but are dusty from being on a shelf in the shop. Don't fit on anything I have. Yours for the cost of shipping if you want them.

Charlie

HardAspie

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 01:11:13 PM »
I have a pair of "Paul Jr. Design" (made by Coleman) soft 'bags that might work for you. Pretty nice - have built in rain covers and reflective material. New, but are dusty from being on a shelf in the shop. Don't fit on anything I have. Yours for the cost of shipping if you want them.

Those look good. Could you do me a favour and see how long they are? I have little space to work with between backs of legs and fronts of turn signals.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here