Author Topic: Good grief , tire thread , sorta  (Read 4010 times)

oldbike54

Good grief , tire thread , sorta
« on: April 16, 2016, 08:53:09 PM »
 Decided to get my new shoes on the bike today , no machine , always done them the old fashioned way . Never had too much trouble , although lately a sawzall has been employed to cut the old tire in half around the circumference , usually makes getting them off a breeze . Yeah , 2hr job , remove the rear fender , loosen the mufflers to get clearance , most of you know the drill . Hmm why won't bead release , employ a big C clamp , nothing , rear tire just won't give it up . OK , now , as Beetle would say , the damn thing is challenging me to a fight . Lay down a piece of OSB in the driveway , lay the wheel down with a couple of 1x's under the rim , and have my sister drive her car up onto the tire , damn thing is still stuck . WTH . Spin the rim , repeat , ahh , bead finally releases . Sister leaves with her friend . Flip the wheel over onto the disc side , still supported , but now on a couple of 2x's to protect the rotor . Figure the other side will pop loose now that we have given the tire a good whack , oh no , once again , WTH . Neighbor has wandered down , looks at the tire and exclaims , "I hope that tire didn't split while you were riding :shocked:" . He gets his Jeep and we repeat the drive on process , only this time it takes several tries  :huh: :huh: I have never ever witnessed a tire this seated to the rim . Really hope the front isn't this bad  :rolleyes:

Dusty

oldbike54

Re: Good grief , tire thread , sorta
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 09:31:59 PM »
 Mike , a heat gun was used to warm up the tire . Usually lay the new tire in the sun , sometimes under a piece of glass . Not sure if that helps unseat the bead , it does certainly make the tires more pliable .

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 09:35:10 PM »
I got a bead breaker from HF not too many years ago($39) that works great on all different tire sizes.  My problem is getting the whole tire off the rim(should be the easy part).  But now just up the road I have an independent Napa family shop that  changes all my tires cheap. I'm their only bike/scooter customer.   :bow: My bod isn't up to this stuff any more.   :evil:

beetle

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 12:19:09 AM »
Winner!

I won my fight too, Dusty. 1 week to change one seal, 1/2 hour for the next.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 12:19:09 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 12:31:55 AM »
Winner!

I won my fight too, Dusty. 1 week to change one seal, 1/2 hour for the next.

That's not so bad Mark , 42  hours and 15 minutes a side ...

Dusty
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:33:15 AM by oldbike54 »

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 07:56:43 AM »
WD40 helps

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 09:05:29 AM »
Drlapo is right, that plenty of slippery lube of some sort, liquid enough to flow between the tire and rim, helps a lot.  A few years ago, my wife bought me this for Christmas, so I could change the big tires on my Ford 4000 tractor, but it makes short work of bead breaking on any tire.  In the last couple weeks, it's done three motorcycle tires and two car tires.  It's a heavy slide hammer.  You put the smooth ended bottom blade on the tire bead, and raise the sliver handle section way up, then slam it down.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:18:25 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 09:13:52 AM »
 Yeah yeah , where were you guys yesterday ? :laugh: Unfortunately I have limited space and must keep tools down to the necessary stuff , no room for tire machines , or any slide hammers . In fact , there are 2 original 1970's BMW tire spoons in my kit , and they normally suffice .

Dusty

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 09:24:13 AM »
pam cooking spray for reassembly. they will come off quicker next time. my dealer uses armor-all.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 09:33:06 AM »
pam cooking spray for reassembly. they will come off quicker next time. my dealer uses armor-all.

Thanks , would love to buy a gallon of the stuff the pros use , but once again , what to do with another large can . Pam can be stored in a kitchen cabinet .

Dusty
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:33:55 AM by oldbike54 »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 09:49:35 AM »
Unfortunately I have limited space and must keep tools down to the necessary stuff , no room for tire machines , or any slide hammers .

I'm sure you can fit a slide hammer like mine somewhere like under your mattress or behind the refrigerator.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »

That's an interesting idea.  My only experience with that slippery stuff is riding in a ski boat that had it on the seats, and then driving home in my van.  Sometime soon after that I was in a hurry to get in the van, and took a little running jump up into the driver's seat.  When my butt hit the seat, enough Armor All had transferred to it from the boat seat that I slid off onto the van floor behind the engine cover.  It was a shame that moment was wasted, since I was alone.

You've heard that one ounce of gold can be drawn into fine wire over 1,000 miles long?  One bottle of Armor All can coat all the upholstery in US cars to force you to use your seat belt.

Offline Ted N

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 05:30:51 PM »
Well, My ex did a favor for me and cleaned my T500 seat with Amor-All one time. That was an exciting ride around the block I'll tell you!
1996 Cali 1100C/hacked
1998 V11 EV

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 05:43:42 PM »

this came about when I asked the guys from No-mar tire changers what was in the high dollar can of paste they sell. he said it's vegetable based and could even be used for cooking. Enough said for me. most likely Crisco repackaged.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 06:00:25 PM »
this came about when I asked the guys from No-mar tire changers what was in the high dollar can of paste they sell. he said it's vegetable based and could even be used for cooking. Enough said for me. most likely Crisco repackaged.

I would be afraid the rear tire might slip and offset the balance of the rim/tire on the road.

I have used Raybestos (BAF-12) hydraulic brake cylinder assembly fluid to get a tire to seat on a rim.  :thumb:  Just a iittle dab will do ya.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 06:17:30 PM »
I mean, seriously?? C'mon, Dusty.. you can find space for a gallon..

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 06:46:04 PM »
I mean, seriously?? C'mon, Dusty.. you can find space for a gallon..

Sure , if I threw out my tools , or sold the Jackal . Kind of a tough choice  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 06:46:22 PM »

I would be afraid the rear tire might slip and offset the balance of the rim/tire on the road.

I have used Raybestos (BAF-12) hydraulic brake cylinder assembly fluid to get a tire to seat on a rim.  :thumb:  Just a iittle dab will do ya.
I have been using no-mar's product for many years and never never any issues
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Offline RayB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 07:00:24 PM »

+1 on this stuff.
Just last week I removed old ME880s off my EV and replaced them with Shinko 230s. Wrestling match won by Ray.

Those Marathons were hard to break the bead. I put my spoons under the rim and sprayed WD40 and let them sit in the sun ( what there was of it). 1/2 hour later I put the 8" C clamps on and boom, beads broke of easily with only slight persuasion from tire spoons.

After cleaning the rims, I used the NyTie trick to put the new tires back on. Six 24" NyTies spaced evenly around the tire and tightened so as to pull the beads together. RuGlyded the beads and slipped both beads over the rim at the same time. Ez Pz. Swabbed some RuGlyde in again, used a ratcheting strap on the tire OD, got the beads to set first try. Balancing, however, was a challenge.

Took the EV out for 140 mile ride yesterday to scrub the tires and try them out. Wow. I'm impressed with the Stinkos once again. And Dusty, I appreciate your warning about the 130/90 rear rubbing the rear taillight cable possibly rubbing - I doesn't.
01 EV
82 BMW R100

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 10:28:43 PM »

...like my friend Cody does and use charcoal lighter fluid and pour it around the rim and light it off for a few seconds,( usually leave the building when he does that ).

BTW Cody sets the beads with start fluid by spraying it inside the tire and lighting it off with his Bic. Works tits. (he doesn't have a compressor and inflates with a manual pump.)

:-)

One of these days I've got to meet Cody. I'll wear my Nomex.  :evil:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 10:50:12 PM »
One of these days I've got to meet Cody. I'll wear my Nomex.  :evil:

You should stop by the 2-stroke meet next month when the guys are playing fireball, riding minibikes around the parking lot in full gear and aiming Roman candles at each other.

Video evidence:  http://vid174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/akornhouse/Deals%20Gap%202015/IMG_2805.mp4
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:56:43 PM by Triple Jim »

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 12:07:00 AM »
Aw, Dusty, that's nuthin.  Wait 'til you fix a flat on a bike with a 4:00 x 19 6 ply Dunlop "Sports" (knobby) from the 1960s, secured by three of those internal clamps that hold the tire onto the rim.  Oh, and do it with a pair of 8" "King Dick" tire irons.  Did it many times in the early 1960s. 

Not saying how many tubes I pinched.  Don't ask.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here