Author Topic: NGC- recommendations on OBDII reader  (Read 1106 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
NGC- recommendations on OBDII reader
« on: January 16, 2020, 12:35:19 PM »
Hey people-
I have a 2012 Toyota Rav4 with a V6 that is just great. I do my own work and nothing is wrong with the vehicle. I'm thinking it's about time to join the 21st century and get and OBDII reader. Seems like Harbor Freight offers a number of units under the Zhurich brand. Any thoughts?
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC- recommendations on OBDII reader
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 12:37:57 PM »
Bluetooth adapter and Torque on your phone.  Lots of options this way
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:38:20 PM by Dilliw »
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 12:49:54 PM »

Do these units allw you to reset anything? I don't really know what you mean by options.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 12:59:44 PM »

This.

I use one called OBDLink MX. Hasn't missed a beat in seven years.
Spring the few bucks for Torque Pro.

This combo will allow you to see everything that the computer sees. All sensor data, all active and pending trouble codes, and the ability to clear them.

Torque can take the real time data and display it as a "dashboard" on your phone or tablet screen. A lot of guys make a permanent cockpit installation of this feature.

It will not allow you to manipulate sensor or actuator behavior (e.g. fire injectors or tweak O2 input)
To my knowledge, this setup cannot read ABS codes - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Seldom in life do you get the kind of bang for the buck that such a combo offers.
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 12:59:44 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 01:03:12 PM »
Hey people-
I have a 2012 Toyota Rav4 with a V6 that is just great. I do my own work and nothing is wrong with the vehicle. I'm thinking it's about time to join the 21st century and get and OBDII reader. Seems like Harbor Freight offers a number of units under the Zhurich brand. Any thoughts?

Hey, there's someone behind ME on technology!!   :bow:  :thumb:

We have a 2012 Subaru that has an occasional "glitch" if you fill the gas tank all the way to the top (which SOMEONE in this house sometimes forgets about) where the charcoal canister gets saturated, and it turns on a blinking dash code which you can only turn out with an OBD reader.

I bought an "ANCEL" model AD310 a couple years ago to deal with it.   It's solidly made, does what it says on the tin, lets you turn things on and off and twiddle knobs and things, and it couldn't have cost much because I wouldn't have paid much for such a thing.   I cannot remember if I bought it at a local chain auto store or if I ordered it, but anyway, if I needed another I'd get one like that.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 01:39:45 PM »
I just ordered a blue tooth OBDII adapter from Amazon, I'm pretty sure it was the cheapest, or second cheapest one they had at $11.

This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011NSX27A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is only good for android, Apple requires a different one.

Seems to work fine, I downloaded the free Torque app for now and it hooked right up. I also downloaded the MyGreenVolt (only for the Chevy Volt) app and that hooked up as well.
I think if you pay the upgrade fee, you get more capabilities from both apps.

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 01:53:11 PM »
I have a Harbor Freight model (??) that cost about 80 bucks but does not do ABS. Had an ABS error last year and picked up a Bosch OBD 1100 on eBay for 40 bucks that does read ABS errors.

Search ebay now. There is one now with a 13 dollar bid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSCH-OBD-1100-OBD-II-Scanner-Automotive-Diagnostic-Tool-2-L270468A/402031934439?hash=item5d9af87be7:g:wlsAAOSw7aBeF4zb

Pete

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 02:05:35 PM »
I just ordered a blue tooth OBDII adapter from Amazon, I'm pretty sure it was the cheapest, or second cheapest one they had at $11.

This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011NSX27A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is only good for android, Apple requires a different one.

Seems to work fine, I downloaded the free Torque app for now and it hooked right up. I also downloaded the MyGreenVolt (only for the Chevy Volt) app and that hooked up as well.
I think if you pay the upgrade fee, you get more capabilities from both apps.

Yep, Torque Pro is $5 to go with the adapter.  It gets you more options plus there are plugins for specific cars.

Yes you can reset codes.

I do use a standalone for my BMW as I couldn't find a good Torque plugin for the codes specific to my model.  BMW likes to make things difficult...

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 09:41:13 PM »
I have a bluedriver works good and lists all the fixes for whatever code pops up. Also can monitor everything live.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 11:49:39 PM »
Some of the Harbor Freight units are rebranded name brand units.
I did some research on them and found they were highly rated.
Mine is out in the car now and its flipping cold. I'll look at the model # in the morning.
Iirc I got it at a good price as they had them on special at $30 off.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 06:18:57 AM »
Ive had great luck with the no name specials out there in the sub $30 range..  Some car makers will have codes that only special readers will read, but thats uncommon. I do like the real time data, and being able to trigger different sensors, and stuff, but really.. 99% of the time you just need to check/clear codes..  SO ya... get one of the cheap HF ones and use it. If you find it lacking, then research what your needs will be. But its always good to have a nice small, simple, cheap reader.. 
Paul B

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 08:08:11 AM »
Ten years ago I bought a $40 one from the local auto parts store. I had a 2000 Subaru Impreza Sport that would throw an evaporative emissions code every couple months or so. I just kept in the car. The Subaru is long gone but the code reader still works. It tells you the code(s) and lets you clear them.
Larry
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:53:30 AM by larrys »
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 09:34:02 AM »
Hey, there's someone behind ME on technology!!   :bow:  :thumb:

We have a 2012 Subaru that has an occasional "glitch" if you fill the gas tank all the way to the top (which SOMEONE in this house sometimes forgets about) where the charcoal canister gets saturated, and it turns on a blinking dash code which you can only turn out with an OBD reader.

I bought an "ANCEL" model AD310 a couple years ago to deal with it.   It's solidly made, does what it says on the tin, lets you turn things on and off and twiddle knobs and things, and it couldn't have cost much because I wouldn't have paid much for such a thing.   I cannot remember if I bought it at a local chain auto store or if I ordered it, but anyway, if I needed another I'd get one like that.

Lannis

I have an Ancel 410 allows realtime reading and is upgradeable on Windows platform. It worked on 2002 Civic and my 2011 Sonata.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 11:46:10 AM »
I seem to remember that some ABS vehicles need to have the pistons retracted by software. Do any of the readers have that capability?

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 01:58:50 PM »
Okay, I got the model # of my reader but it appears that item is discontinued. It was SKU 62120 and it was a rebranded Actron.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
On their website it shows each unit and says to compare to XYZ brand model xxx.
Its because they are the same unit.
Good luck in your search.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 01:17:48 AM »
I bought a cheapy Autel model worked for reading and clearing codes.  It doesn't do ABS/SRC.  I ended up buying a Foxwell NT630 because it advertised to read ABS/SRS and reset.  I followed the instructions for the SWMBO's MB sedan.  No luck with it working.  I sent it back and am currently waiting for an Innova unit instead.  The ABS light is on and I need to know which wheel to work on then I can reset. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2020, 04:27:41 PM »
I have an Innova.  Works excellent.  Haven't really needed all the things it can do.
I bought when I bought my cherokee from an auction that had multiple codes.  Went through them, fixed the issues and haven't needed it since.
Its probably overkill for my needs, but its here if I need it.
Some of my friends have used more than I have.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 04:15:19 PM »
I bought the 6100P.  Currently at the PO.  What did you buy?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here