Author Topic: Royal Enfield Himalayan  (Read 14853 times)

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2018, 03:30:16 PM »
Here is a link to a real-world use report from advrider.com:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/royal-enfield-himalayan-owners-thread.1253460/page-69#post-35187012

Reply #1364

From that thread. Sounds familiar: 

“Re-grease the head bearings, swing arm bearings and suspension linkage ASAP. Think about fitting grease zerks to the linkage in order to lubricate this frequently. The grease work from factory has been sparing and lead to tightening of the head bearings and squeaking/premature wear of the swing arm and suspension linkage. ”

:)
He lost the run of himself.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »
I will say it again. Yamaha needs to put an electric leg on it's 400cc lump, and put it in a  XT frame.  :food:

I have zero interest in a Himalayan but I'd be all over a Yamaha XT400 like white on rice.  Upgrade the suspension on a SR400, mount a higher exhaust, put a luggage rack on the back and I'd do my best to wear it out over the next ten years. 

Moto

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
I just happened to run across this really enjoyable, frank review of the Himalayan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQwA5t8cnkE

It's conducted on trails in southern Utah, which is beautiful enough to make me want to leave home.

The series is called "Brutally Frank Honest Reviews." [Fixed it.]

Anyway, I give this review 4 stars, and commend it to you all.

Moto

P.S. The bike itself seems pretty attractive to me.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 04:41:40 PM by Moto »

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »
Utah has its charms but it is too far from civilization for permanent residence for my taste.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »
I almost bought one.... the Stornello charmed me..... Still, a very nice bike and fair price...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:25:36 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2019, 11:30:11 AM »
Several people have told me that they are seriously looking at a Himalayan right now.  I've not yet seen one.

I wonder if anyone in Daytona stocks them....

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2019, 03:53:25 PM »
Dual sport. Not very good off road or on road..  :evil: That was the saying back in the day.. apparently that still holds true.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2019, 09:31:31 AM »
I'll look again if the Himi gets a 650.  I just can't wrap my brain around extended interstate runs at 70mph with a 400cc engine. :shocked:  Oh, I'm sure it's done without issues by some. (my buddy has done epic rides with a guy that's taken a WR250 all over the darn place).  But I'm also thinking of taking a passenger for short jaunts also.  I'm thinking the Himalayan would be a fun "do-it-all" bike more than a weekend trip with the wife and gear bike.  I could be wrong though.  It would be a hoot to take that thing downstate WV with my better half.  Just not sure the suspension would be up for it.
And although I do try to find the "backways" to places, I still find myself having to get on the interstate for extended runs.  I'm more comfortable with a "larger engine, lower revs" scenario than the "smaller engine, higher revs" option.
I'm sure a (insert big 4 brand name) mid-sizer would be the more intelligent choice, but I'm usually using another organ to influence my bike buying decision.  (not that!!)   My heart goes with "oddball" choices.
The RE tugs the ole heartstrings as did the 06 Breva 1100 we purchased years ago.
Believe me....if Guzzi doesn't come up with something to inspire me when it's time for our purchase of our next 2up "trip" bike,  the Yamaha Tracer 900 will be on the short list.

richy
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:37:11 AM by rdbandkab »

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2019, 11:22:17 PM »
I test rode a RE Himalayan a couple weeks ago.  Lucky enough to have pretty much every brand of bike locally.  I liked it.  I was surprised at how light it felt, significantly lighter than my V7 did.  Guess it's weight is down low.  Low speed fueling was smooth, nearly like a twist n go scooter.  It's definitely set up for slow and easy.  Plenty fast for what it's built for.  I haven't driven out of state for years so can't justify a large interstate barge.

At any rate, I'm over going fast and trying to push the limits.  I've been considering a Vespa 300 or 250.  The Himalayan is just as easy to ride but with longer suspension travel and larger wheels.  It's on my short list... with the Vespa and a MG V9.  Wow 😳 what a diverse mix of bikes. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:24:09 PM by vstevens »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2019, 07:27:01 AM »
Yeah, a 650 Himalayan sounds like the ticket for success.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2019, 07:48:16 AM »
How about a Himalayan with that new 650 twin engine in it???

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2019, 09:35:56 AM »
 :drool:

Now if I can only mod the suspension for two-up...  :rolleyes:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2019, 07:22:19 AM »

Kawasaki-whatever .

It's called the Versys X-300.  All the reviews I have watched on youtube definitely favor the Kawasaki.  Bulletproof, smooth, fun engine that redlines at like 12,500 RPMs, less maintenance.

I will say though that the Himalayan definitely "looks" up to the task.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline kenvil1

• Gosling
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2019, 09:17:38 AM »
It's called the Versys X-300...

The totally revamped Ninja 400 is getting nothing but stellar reviews, and for good reason. If Kawasaki gives the Versys-X the same treatment it will definitely be a serious contender in its category.

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2019, 10:18:22 AM »
It's called the Versys X-300.  All the reviews I have watched on youtube definitely favor the Kawasaki.  Bulletproof, smooth, fun engine that redlines at like 12,500 RPMs, less maintenance.

I will say though that the Himalayan definitely "looks" up to the task.

After doing all the online research on the BMW G310, the Himalayan and the Versys x-300, and test riding the X300 and the BMW, I ended up adding this Versys X-300 to the stables a few weeks ago. Primarily for local short trip urban use and riding cow pastures, woods & trails type of use. Like you, out of all the reviews, that I read and video's watched on all three, the Versys X-300 had the edge. That being said, all three have their pro's & cons, it all comes down to how you intend to use the bike, how much off roading compared to street riding, and what type of off roading you will be doing. Motocross stuff, rocky terrain with boulders and log jumping or gravel roads, unpaved fire roads & trails. The Himalayan has more maintenance needs & issues, so if you like working on your bikes frequently, its a good one to have. The one thing I quickly liked about the X-300 was the ability to move it around in the garage with one hand, and the ease of slow speed maneuvering basically at crawl speed. After many years of riding and still riding 1200cc to 1800cc heavy bikes, this was a pleasant change. But, I still like my big bikes...

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2019, 10:51:59 AM »
The Himalayan has more maintenance needs & issues, so if you like working on your bikes frequently, its a good one to have.

What are the needs and issues that the other two don't have?

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2019, 11:46:21 AM »
My buddy Leo rode all three mentioned above and chose the Himalayan.
Charlie

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2019, 12:43:25 PM »
After doing all the online research on the BMW G310, the Himalayan and the Versys x-300, and test riding the X300 and the BMW, I ended up adding this Versys X-300 to the stables a few weeks ago. Primarily for local short trip urban use and riding cow pastures, woods & trails type of use. Like you, out of all the reviews, that I read and video's watched on all three, the Versys X-300 had the edge. That being said, all three have their pro's & cons, it all comes down to how you intend to use the bike, how much off roading compared to street riding, and what type of off roading you will be doing. Motocross stuff, rocky terrain with boulders and log jumping or gravel roads, unpaved fire roads & trails. The Himalayan has more maintenance needs & issues, so if you like working on your bikes frequently, its a good one to have. The one thing I quickly liked about the X-300 was the ability to move it around in the garage with one hand, and the ease of slow speed maneuvering basically at crawl speed. After many years of riding and still riding 1200cc to 1800cc heavy bikes, this was a pleasant change. But, I still like my big bikes...

From what I recall of Florida (lived there 12 years) the vanvan200 and TW200 would be good choices with their wide tires for the swamp and sugar sand encountered.  :)  Unless you live in the panhandle areas maybe.

I've ridden the Ninja 300, but haven't had a go on the Versys 300 yet.  You have to be willing to rev to enjoy the bike's capabilities, but that was the same way with the KLX250 I had or the Ninja 250 I owned for a time.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2019, 02:06:00 PM »
These were some of the things that I ran across doing online research on the Himalayan. Like I said earlier, if you enjoy working on your bike, many of these issues are minor and are easy fixes.
Some of the issues reported on the Royal Enfield forum were things like engine management system (computer) throwing a fault code showing the motor is out of compliance within its operating parameters.
Windscreen or headlight bucket rattling/buzzing reported by a few of the forum members.
Magnetic coil, T-stem, gear and clutch issue, oil Leakage, engine noise are some of the other reported issues that I found.
Here's a link to one of the articles that I found: https://www.change.org/p/suffering-major-problems-with-royal-enfield-himalayan
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 03:01:05 PM by zebraranger »

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »
Some of the issues that I found doing online research was from the Royal Enfield Forum (Himalayan). Like I said earlier, if you like working on bikes, some of these are easy fixes, others are not though.
Engine Management System (computer) throwing a fault code showing the motor is out of compliance with its operating parameters.
Reported by many of the members is a rattle/buzzing noise coming from either the windscreen or headlight bucket.
Magnetic coil, T-stem, gear and clutch issue, oil Leakage, and irregular engine noise.
Here's a link to a good article on those issues. https://www.change.org/p/suffering-major-problems-with-royal-enfield-himalayan
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:21:27 PM by zebraranger »

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2019, 02:38:50 PM »
From what I recall of Florida (lived there 12 years) the vanvan200 and TW200 would be good choices with their wide tires for the swamp and sugar sand encountered.  :)  Unless you live in the panhandle areas maybe.

I've ridden the Ninja 300, but haven't had a go on the Versys 300 yet.  You have to be willing to rev to enjoy the bike's capabilities, but that was the same way with the KLX250 I had or the Ninja 250 I owned for a time.
Yes those are very popular little bikes here, especially for ranch work and with campers. I wanted something a little more full sized like either the Himalayan, BMW G310 or the VX300. It does have the same motor as the Ninja 300, just re-tuned and re-geared. You're right, its a very high revving motor, it redlines at 12,500 RPM's. I was surprised at how smooth the motor runs at the higher RPM range. The Griso 1200 redlines at 8000, but it too is fairly smooth at the higher RPM range. But, riding the Griso is like riding an angry Rhino, thats why its a fun ride.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 06:10:35 PM by zebraranger »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2019, 03:19:39 PM »
Some of the issues that I found doing online research was from the Royal Enfield Forum (Himalayan). Like I said earlier, if you like working on bikes, some of these are easy fixes, others are not though.
Engine Management System (computer) throwing a fault code showing the motor is out of compliance with its operating parameters.
Reported by many of the members is a rattle/buzzing noise coming from either the windscreen or headlight bucket.
Magnetic coil, T-stem, gear and clutch issue, oil Leakage, and irregular engine noise.
Here's a link to a good article on those issues. https://www.change.org/p/suffering-major-problems-with-royal-enfield-himalayan

That petition seems to be owners of the "first series" of Himalayan, AFAIK the one sold in the US is the "newer BS4 model" referenced in it.
Charlie

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2019, 03:26:52 PM »
That petition seems to be owners of the "first series" of Himalayan, AFAIK the one sold in the US is the "newer BS4 model" referenced in it.

That's what I was thinking.  The older models (India release) seemed to have some issues,  but I hadn't read about any issues or intense maintenance requirements with the BS4 models.

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2019, 05:20:35 PM »
but that was the same way with the KLX250 I had or the Ninja 250 I owned for a time.

I loved the KLX250S I had and still regret selling it. For the money and the type uses I see in this  thread, I think I would just find a good used KLX250S and be happy again.  :grin:

Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2019, 06:14:57 PM »
  I think about selling my XT350 and getting a Himalayan, but the only advantage I can think of beside being 30 years newer is the  E start. The Yamaha  is fine when it wants to be a 1 to 3 kick bike,it's when it becomes the 20 to 30 kick to start it starts to bug me. The XT is under 300LBs will cruise at 70 can go anywhere I want to.I do have a Enfield dealer close by so one of these days I'll have to check it out. With a garage full of old bikes something this decade may be nice...
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2019, 08:48:25 PM »
I loved the KLX250S I had and still regret selling it. For the money and the type uses I see in this  thread, I think I would just find a good used KLX250S and be happy again.  :grin:

It was hard to let my KLX250 go because I was admitting that my back won't allow me to truly off-road adventure anymore.  Created some good memories with mine though.

I was fortunate to be able to ride that bike in Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, New Mexico and California.  Great memories. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

twowings

« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2019, 09:05:53 PM »
This is a link to a video about an RE Himalayan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=536&v=vPccT4oh2wM

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2019, 10:07:18 AM »
Just visited our closest Royal Enfield dealer yesterday. About an hour away in Tarentum, PA.  I was impressed actually!  Of course, the RE's were only a small part of a larger, multi-bike shop.  The biggest money maker brand (maybe?), Harley, occupied another building,  but the building we were in displayed Honda, Triumph, Kawi, and RE.   They also had a few Benelli "Grom" style bikes and a bicycle shop out front.  The place is like a candy store to me..

Great sales staff and a positive overall vibe there.  The sales guy hadn't heard about the possibility of a 650 twin being used for the Himilayan, but I'm crossing my fingers after seeing some online reports.  Has to be true...it was on the internet!!!  (kidding).   I'm hoping that they do the twin and in the process grow the bike a bit.  The Himi almost reminds me of a 9/10 scale bike.   That's fine for solo riding,  but I know I'd like to take the wife on jaunts on it.  Might be a little crowded in its current state.  THey're currently waiting on a shipment of the newer models...Intercepto rs and Conti GT's.
They did show me an Africa Twin for $10k when I mentioned that the Himalayan looked a little on the small side for two-up trips. Purdy.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:19:01 AM by rdbandkab »

Online Githianki

• Hatchling
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2019, 05:28:35 PM »
1500ish miles on my Himi and no issues.  Seems like its a crap shoot as to good and bad bikes, but they got 99% of the bigger issues with the B3 sorted out with this release.  RE has said no to a 650 Himalayan, not to say there wont be a bigger displacement model at a later time.  Hitchcocks in England is working on a big bore kit to bring it up to something like 476cc, and there is a piggyback ECU programmer available now too that has good reviews already.  Bike has plenty of oomoph but all down low.  I can do 70-75 and the bike isn't even working hard carrying my 250# ass with gear.   
If you can beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2019, 05:51:12 PM »
I'm hoping this:

MAXABOUT TEAM  Jan 5, 2019

"Royal Enfield Himalayan 650, a dream motorcycle for those who love tackling odd terrains at all times, will launch in India this year. As Royal Enfield’s CEO Siddhartha Lal has already hinted at a bigger Himalayan, one fact that comes clear is that it will share the platform with the recently launched Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650. Not just that, the brand will try its best to test the bigger Himalayan extensively before the official launch later this year. The first version of Himalayan with 411cc, single cylinder engine was highly criticized for the least amount of testing before its launch."
"The present generation Himalayan comes with a 411cc, single cylinder engine producing 24.5 BHP at 6500 rpm and 32 Nm at 4250 rpm."
"The tyre size on the present Himalayan is perfect for the job while ground clearance and suspension travel will change for sure with the new frame. The bigger Himalayan will support design changes to overcome the current limitations while pricing will surely be on the upper side of both the present 650cc bikes."

Like I said,  this is me just wanting the 650 option...

richy
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:56:02 PM by rdbandkab »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here