Author Topic: Springfield  (Read 5551 times)

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
Springfield
« on: January 29, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »
Springfield

I learned to ride motorcycles in 1969 and I immediately fell in love with riding. I started learning as much as I could about pretty much all facets of motorcycles. I started buying all the magazines at the Newsstand and explored a whole new world with enthusiasm. I read about Old (Vintage) bikes and New bikes, I learned about famous riders like Ed Kretz and “Iron Man” Fred Ham, I read articles on Vincents and even Indian Vincents, Munch Mammuts and Seeley Condors. I fell in love with the Royal Enfield Mark 2 Interceptor. I read about Racing of all types. I read about people like Dave Aldana, Gene Romero, Gary Nixon and Dick Mann. I learned about the different types of motorcycle races. I learned the history of AMA Racing and how the National #1 plate was awarded to the winner of the Springfield Mile up until 1954.  I read about places like Ascot and the San Jose Mile and the Castle Rock TT and the Houston Astrodome Short Track. There was a whole lot to learn, and I jumped into the deep end of the knowledge pool with enthusiasm.

In 1973, I saw my first Dirt Track race (the Colorado Springs Mile), and it was instant love all over again. I would attend as many Nationals as I could over the next few years, and I loved watching all of them. I met retired racers and learned about what it was like to race back in the ‘50s and ‘60s. I had my heroes, and would cheer them on at every race I attended.
In the early ‘80s, the Springfield Mile returned. The Legendary Springfield Mile. The place where, in the Old Days, the #1 Plate was awarded. I read about it in the magazines, and decided that, one day I would go to see it.

One Tuesday in May of 1984, I was reading a magazine and discovered that the Springfield Mile was going to be held on the upcoming Sunday, May 20. I was unemployed at the time, and I had the money to go, so I left on Thursday  for Illinois. I found the Fairgrounds on Saturday, and went to the window to get a ticket for Sunday’s race. When I told the guy at the window that I had just ridden out from Boston, he was amazed and he took me into the Grandstands so that I could see the track. It was groomed to perfection, and I could just tell that the race was going to be a really good one. The track had a real aura;  Magical or Electric both come to mind, but however you want to describe it, I could feel it.

However, around midnight that night, it started to rain. I was in my tent at the KOA, and I could hear it. It wasn’t a heavy rain and it would stop then restart, but it was enough to worry me. I got up around 7:00 and rode into town to get breakfast at the Howard Johnson’s. Jay Springsteen, Scotty Parker and their wives were eating in the booth behind me, and I shamelessly eavesdropped on their conversation. I remember Jay saying that he hoped the officials would cancel early so he could head for home, and that just made me feel worse. I had come out from Massachusetts and I wasn’t going to see the race. It was going to be a Rain out.

I left the restaurant, and headed downtown on my way to the Fairgrounds, and the sky just opened up. I wound up stopping in another restaurant just to get out of the rain, it was pouring so bad. I was waiting to get a seat and watching a puddle grow around me as the water drained out of my Levis when I looked over and Ricky Graham was standing next to me. I was getting to have breakfast with three of my heroes, and my mood was so foul, I wouldn’t talk to them. I was bummed. (besides, what do you say to one of your heroes? “Gee, I think you’re cool!”? That only embarrasses both you and him)

Anyway, the rain quit shortly after that, and the sun came out. I rode out to the fairgrounds around noon, and there was a sign on the ticket window saying Rain Date May 27. The doors to the stands were wide open, so I went in and looked at the track. There was a set of footprints about six inches deep in the mud where somebody had walked across the front straight. I could understand why the race had been cancelled, but I didn’t like it. I thought about just hanging around Springfield for a week so that I could see the race, but then my common sense kicked in and I realized that was not really feasible.

I went back to the KOA, and discovered that the wind had blown my tent down, and my sleeping bag and clothes were soaked. I was camped away from all the Rudabagos and off by the edge of the Kampground, so I hung my wet clothes on the fence behind my tent, and spread my bag out on the picnic table and let the wind dry them. The next morning, I got up early and headed home.

I later discovered that not hanging around was the best thing I could have done. The race got rained out again the following week. If I had stayed, I still wouldn’t have gotten to see it. It took four tries that year to finally get the Mile in.

However, just seeing the track had been enough to get me to come back the following year.  And the race in 1985 was good enough to have me returning almost every year for the next 20+ years.

I haven’t been to Springfield for a few years, now. Circumstances and health issues have kept me away. This year though, I’ve already talked to the very nice lady at the IMDA and there will be a ticket for me waiting at the Will Call window on both Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends.

I’ve said it many times over the years, and it still holds true; if I could only see one race for the rest of my life, it would be the Springfield Mile.
If you’ve never been to it, you don’t know what you’re missing.  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:15:46 PM by Crusty »
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
Re: Springfield
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:05:05 AM »
And the race in 1985 was good enough to have me returning almost every year...

Here's my shot of the finish of that same 1985 Memorial Day Springfield race:

left-to-right: Scott Parker (3rd), Ricky Graham (2nd), Bubba Shobert (1st)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:08:28 AM by Daniel Kalal »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 11:20:24 AM »
cya this Labor Day,,,,knock wood

:bike
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Late to the party

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 11:29:28 AM »
I'm in. Please keep the post alive.

Lateness.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 11:29:28 AM »

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »
Let us all hope that Troy Bayliss is able to line up sponsorship to make his Springfield wish come true:

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 12:03:44 PM »
Labor Day for me too
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »
Me three, the only way I'll stop going to Springfield is if I'm too geezered up to throw a leg over. Pretty sure I'll have to go to duquoin too
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline wil b.

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »
I've only gone to the Springfield Mile on Labor Day weekend once, maybe 10+ years ago. What a great weekend at the Illinois State fairgrounds!  I can't wait to go back.

Only incident was some short Brazilian guy named Sergio tackling me from behind while I was walking around the the pits in the infield!

Wil B.
Broadview, IL
"What are we here for?  We're all here TO GO!"  -Wm. Burroughs

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
Springfield

I learned to ride motorcycles in 1969 and I immediately fell in love with riding. I started learning as much as I could about pretty much all facets of motorcycles. I started buying all the magazines at the Newsstand and explored a whole new world with enthusiasm. I read about Old (Vintage) bikes and New bikes, I learned about famous riders like Ed Kretz and “Iron Man” Fred Ham, I read articles on Vincents and even Indian Vincents, Munch Mammuts and Seeley Condors. I fell in love with the Royal Enfield Mark 2 Interceptor. I read about Racing of all types. I read about people like Dave Aldana, Gene Romero, Gary Nixon and Dick Mann. I learned about the different types of motorcycle races. I learned the history of AMA Racing and how the National #1 plate was awarded to the winner of the Springfield Mile up until 1954.  I read about places like Ascot and the San Jose Mile and the Castle Rock TT and the Houston Astrodome Short Track. There was a whole lot to learn, and I jumped into the deep end of the knowledge pool with enthusiasm.

In 1973, I saw my first Dirt Track race (the Colorado Springs Mile), and it was instant love all over again. I would attend as many Nationals as I could over the next few years, and I loved watching all of them. I met retired racers and learned about what it was like to race back in the ‘50s and ‘60s. I had my heroes, and would cheer them on at every race I attended.

In the early ‘80s, the Springfield Mile returned. The Legendary Springfield Mile. The place where, in the Old Days, the #1 Plate was awarded. I read about it in the magazines, and decided that, one day I would go to see it. One Tuesday in May of 1984, I was reading a magazine and discovered that the Springfield Mile was going to be held on the upcoming Sunday, May 20. I was unemployed at the time, and I had the money to go, so I left on Thursday  for Illinois. I found the Fairgrounds on Saturday, and went to the window to get a ticket for Sunday’s race. When I told the guy at the window that I had just ridden out from Boston, he was amazed and he took me into the Grandstands so that I could see the track. It was groomed to perfection, and I could just tell that the race was going to be a really good one. The track had a real aura;  Magical or Electric both come to mind, but however you want to describe it, I could feel it.

However, around midnight that night, it started to rain. I was in my tent at the KOA, and I could hear it. It wasn’t a heavy rain and it would stop then restart, but it was enough to worry me. I got up around 7:00 and rode into town to get breakfast at the Howard Johnson’s. Jay Springsteen, Scotty Parker and their wives were eating in the booth behind me, and I shamelessly eavesdropped on their conversation. I remember Jay saying that he hoped the officials would cancel early so he could head for home, and that just made me feel worse. I had come out from Massachusetts and I wasn’t going to see the race. It was going to be a Rain out.

I left the restaurant, and headed downtown on my way to the Fairgrounds, and the sky just opened up. I wound up stopping in another restaurant just to get out of the rain, it was pouring so bad. I was waiting to get a seat and watching a puddle grow around me as the water drained out of my Levis when I looked over and Ricky Graham was standing next to me. I was getting to have breakfast with three of my heroes, and my mood was so foul, I wouldn’t talk to them. I was bummed. (besides, what do you say to one of your heroes? “Gee, I think you’re cool!”? That only embarrasses both you and him)
Anyway, the rain quit shortly after that, and the sun came out. I rode out to the fairgrounds around noon, and there was a sign on the ticket window saying Rain Date May 27. The doors to the stands were wide open, so I went in and looked at the track. There was a set of footprints about six inches deep in the mud where somebody had walked across the front straight. I could understand why the race had been cancelled, but I didn’t like it. I thought about just hanging around Springfield for a week so that I could see the race, but then my common sense kicked in and I realized that was not really feasible.

I went back to the KOA, and discovered that the wind had blown my tent down, and my sleeping bag and clothes were soaked. I was camped away from all the Rudabagos and off by the edge of the Kampground, so I hung my wet clothes on the fence behind my tent, and spread my bag out on the picnic table and let the wind dry them. The next morning, I got up early and headed home.

I later discovered that not hanging around was the best thing I could have done. The race got rained out again the following week. If I had stayed, I still wouldn’t have gotten to see it. It took four tries that year to finally get the Mile in.
However, just seeing the track had been enough to get me to come back the following year.  And the race in 1985 was good enough to have me returning almost every year for the next 20+ years.

I haven’t been to Springfield for a few years, now. Circumstances and health issues have kept me away. This year though, I’ve already talked to the very nice lady at the IMDA and there will be a ticket for me waiting at the Will Call window on both Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends.

I’ve said it many times over the years, and it still holds true; if I could only see one race for the rest of my life, it would be the Springfield Mile.
If you’ve never been to it, you don’t know what you’re missing. 

Crusty.  Did some editing.  An easier read for me.  Thanks for the story. ;-T
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »
Me three, the only way I'll stop going to Springfield is if I'm too geezered up to throw a leg over. Pretty sure I'll have to go to duquoin too

When are the Duquoin races again? July 4th?

Lateness.

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »
Crusty.  Did some editing.  An easier read for me.  Thanks for the story. ;-T

Tom; Thanks for the edit. I went back and did a bit of spacing so that it's a little better.
Hopefully, the race won't be rained out this year and the racing will be close and the track smooth.
I hope Troy Bayliss does make the show. It'll be interesting to see how he fares against the regulars of the Dirt Track circuit.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 06:54:49 PM »
When are the Duquoin races again? July 4th?

Lateness.

Yes your lateness, lets hook up ;-T

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 07:19:15 PM »
Uhm , er , hmm, ... not that there's anything wrong with that  ;D

Dusty

There you go with your mind in the gutter again >:(

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 07:29:02 PM »
du quion is a great track..... I doubt if I'll be there on the 4th.  Probably in the Rockies or getting ready to head there.  But ya never know.  

Springfield  = Labor Day
Spineframe = weekend following

I am working on the double.

Have we heard from Darren ?   

I am going to see if I can find a room in town this time.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:30:36 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 07:40:49 PM »
du quion is a great track..... I doubt if I'll be there on the 4th.  Probably in the Rockies or getting ready to head there.  But ya never know. 

Springfield  = Labor Day
Spineframe = weekend following

I am working on the double.

Have we heard from Darren ?   

I am going to see if I can find a room in town this time.

I stayed in SGF the year before last, The hotel was full, noisy and pretty expensive. One race fan with us just about stroked out over the price. (good thing he's too cheap to pay for the internut) Or he'd be pissed! I don't really care, I just want us to keep our "posse" together ;-T

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 08:22:59 PM »
Johnny, sent you an e-mail
John L 

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 10:27:14 PM »
So, round one of the 2015 Springfield Mile is this coming Sunday.

(1) Anybody from here going?

(2) Of those that plan to go, will you be passing through St. Louis?

Otherwise, I'll just meander up thataway by my own self.

Lateness.

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »
Wish I had more time to extend the Barber / Civil War tour.  Sad thing is We'll be returning through Illinois between Springfield and Du Quoin.
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 12:07:43 PM »
As mentioned in another thread, Danny Easlick has been invited to run it on an XR. 
John L 

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here