Author Topic: RICH'S CUSTOM SEAT for my STELVIO NTX  (Read 8687 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
RICH'S CUSTOM SEAT for my STELVIO NTX
« on: April 15, 2015, 08:26:16 PM »
Well, I bit the bullet and went for a "mild" re-do of the stock seat.  It's on the way back and we'll see if I get a tad more legroom.  However, the real proof will be a +500 mile day...

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

andrewdonald1

Re: RICH'S CUSTOM SEAT for my STELVIO NTX
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »
Let me know how that goes... that's on my list from him.
Did you take an inch or or anything?
Gel insert?

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 10:55:23 PM »
Told him / them about my tippie-toes while seated and various ouches and suggested a half to an inch lower, at least at the front.  We shall see...

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »
Had him do mine.  Slightly lower, far more comfortable.  He was able to reuse my stock seat cover whiched saved some money.  Highly recommended.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 10:21:56 PM »
After 2 days there, 2 days back and 7 days on the bench, my seat is back. Now to put in on for a ride...

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 11:40:16 AM »
After 2 days there, 2 days back and 7 days on the bench, my seat is back. Now to put in on for a ride...

Spuddy

:pop

andrewdonald1

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 07:19:57 PM »

Spuddy

:pop

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 08:10:35 PM »
(Jeeze... I couldn't find my post.)

Construction looks good. Cover nearly matches the pillion material. The seat is firm but uneventfully comfortable on an 80 mile ride. I'll have to put in a 200-300 miler and report back.

However, the tippy-toe (seat to ground) height issue still exists. (It may be the the front portion of the seat can't be narrowed much, if at all.)  I just emailed Quint today asking if anybody addressed that concern.  We'll see what the response is.  Although it looks promising, the jury is still out.

Spuddy 
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

andrewdonald1

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 08:23:03 PM »
I just emailed them a little while ago about doing a drive in.
Hopefully in a couple weeks from now.

I want to take out about 1" or 1.5", gel and whatever else for tricks they can throw at it for me.
I can't take more than 1 hour in the stock saddle and it starts getting uncomfortable.

I rode the bike Friday and after an hour I put the air hawk on and it still really didn't help all that much.

Frankly I came home and swore that forget the new boots, helmet or jacket.
The seat has to be fixed next.. otherwise... lord forbid.. I'll change the seat even if I have to sell that Stelvio which i love.

Its crazy how its just second nature at least for me.. I've always got to change seats on my motorcycles.. I don't know whether its my as* or just that manufactures are cheap on making their seats..

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 08:31:02 PM »
 :PICS!: :PICS!:

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 08:33:22 PM »
I just emailed them a little while ago about doing a drive in.

My ride-in is 650 miles. (Whine.)  

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 08:38:30 PM »
Aww 'comon Spud, putting two feet down is HIGHLY over-rated. That's for sawed off harley riders. :bike

Signed, John the Tiger rider. :bike
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Kevin M

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 08:55:36 PM »
How can I get in touch with Rich? I would like to see if he can help me with my 1100 California.

Kevin

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 08:32:25 AM »
 I solved the height problem with a sidecar!
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 08:44:29 AM »
I solved the height problem with a sidecar!

Smart man. My rig is a Quota with the optional low seat. Go figure.

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

andrewdonald1

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 09:23:17 AM »
How can I get in touch with Rich? I would like to see if he can help me with my 1100 California.

Kevin

http://www.richscustomseats.com/

andrewdonald1

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 02:29:45 PM »
alright I am booked for Saturday May 16th at Rich's. 
Time to get this all fixed up.. my as* is happy just thinking the seat will be finally fixed.

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 10:31:33 AM »
alright I am booked for Saturday May 16th at Rich's. 

ANDREW:

Please tell me how the-ride in goes.  Rich's wants to satisfy me but I suspect in-person is the way to do it. Tell me what is done to get your feet on the ground.

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

andrewdonald1

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 10:49:41 AM »
ANDREW:

Please tell me how the-ride in goes.  Rich's wants to satisfy me but I suspect in-person is the way to do it. Tell me what is done to get your feet on the ground.

Spuddy

I will kind sir.  

To be honest, I think its pretty hard for them to really dial something in without being there with them.
Its hard for people to meet our standards that we have, considering typically we can't even meet our own standards ourselves.
Frankly I am surprised any of the seat vendors entertain the idea of custom mods without having the owner there in person.

With all that being said.. we shall see.. Its my first custom seat (I've only ever purchased Corbins or Mustangs in the past).
I have never heard a bad comment about Rich's Custom Seats ever.. to me price is second to my as* on this topic.  
I don't think he's the cheapest guy around.. but typically you get what you pay for.
And his work does look amazing.  I think he's the go to custom seat guy for motorcycles in PNW..

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:51:24 AM by andrewdonald1 »

andrewdonald1

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 03:59:57 PM »
Ok as promised I am back after yesterday's visit to Rich's.
Appointment at 830am, about 6 bikes including mine were getting seats done.
All HD's except mine.
Finished up around 530pm, the last 3 of us went to the end.
It appears Rich does all the measurements himself, then has the support crew do the cutting, gluing etc.
The new seat covers, others handle.
So the most important part of the job is handled by Rich, that's the interview process, measurements etc.
Impression by all:  high quality, old school service.
Its a relaxed atmosphere both inside the building where the work is getting done, but also outside nice garden area etc.

You'll spend most of the day there as the seats go thru the basic phases around the same time.
Then when the seat is ready (but before covering), you do your test ride and go thru the interview process again and modifications if necessary.

My seat for the Guzzi was a tough one.
I was asking a lot, drop it by 1 or 2 inches (or whatever you can get to get my feat as close to the ground as possible), plus I don't want my ass to hurt anymore.
I left it at that - he's a professional that does approx 2000 seats per year for 20 years, with that experience you just have to let go and let the professionals do their thing.  

Then it's a choice on covering:  once again I just said, durable & easy to maintain.. that turned out to be Mercedes leather.
Nice high quality stuff here.  I also had them match the passenger seat covering.

For the final touch I had them do red stitching to match the matte black/red guzzi theme of the bike.
It came out really nice.
So I had to ride 95 miles home - the verdict?  Night and day.  Usually around the 120 mile mark my ass is NOT liking life.  
After 95 miles, I had very slight little pressure but with all I was asking they had to cut out parts of the seat pan in front to narrow it, plus in the back to lower it to the max plus put back in gel in the main part.  I still ended up with a nice dish but not to much (by request) so that I could move back a little as well.  

So the pricing was: 450 for solo + 175 for each seat for the mercedes leather upgrade for a total out the door of $880 with the leather conditioner.
Not cheap, but I feel like I definitely got my monies worth.  I don't think you could ask for more with the bike/seat combo and what I wanted and my 30 inch inseam.  So I would do it again in hindsight and that says it all right there.  

PS:  I would highly recommend doing this kind of process if you are asking for a lot.. mail in pictures etc to me just feels like they won't get you as close. He had me lifting my legs, etc etc while marking on the seat. You can't get that thru pictures very well.

PPS:  I also had them put some felt on the back side where the front of the seat matches up to the gas tank protector.  No charge for little things.
The red stitching is apparently done by hand because it is a french stitch which I guess to people in the know, the stitching does some fancy thing.. I don't know that's not me..  but its all high quality work.

Andrew

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:09:39 PM by andrewdonald1 »

Offline afulldeck

• Gaggle Hero
  • "This indecision is final!"
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 06:47:05 PM »
Very Nice. I'm typically looking to add inches rather than subtracting them. That said, nice looking seat.
"Moto Guzzi - Making mechanics out of motorcycle riders since 1921!"

1987 Kawaski Ninja "Night Prowler" (White)
2007 Norge  (Red....the fast red!)

prof_stack

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 09:10:16 PM »
I had a Rich's Custom seat on my Buell XB9S and it was wonderful.  Worth the money if you ride a lot of miles.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 09:59:13 PM »
I ship my seat covers to his customers ( and other seat makers also) all over the world.  99% of them are very pleased, they tell me, with their new seat.
Be good to your leather and it'll last as long as you have the bike.  I know; it's my business to preserve them.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:46:57 AM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

andrewdonald1

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 08:42:48 AM »
A little follow up this morning.
So I am nursing a back that went out two Sunday's ago.
So when I went up to see them the back was still stiff.
Sunday was a lot of time in the hot tub, the inversion machine, Yoga, rolling on the soft ball on the psoas muscles in front of the pelvis etc.
Back still not 100% yet, a little cocked to the right.

I decided to ride the bike in from Olympia to Seattle for the weekly start of the work week (I stay in Seattle during the work week).
Its about 75 miles or so ride in at 430am in the morning.

The new seat is WAY more comfortable then the car (I have a 2002 Honda Insight first Gen).
I guess a great compliment for the seat was: I didn't even notice my ass till about 70 miles into it at all.
I could feel the lower back, but not the butt.
So that to me says a lot right there.

She's not cheap.. but I do believe it was worth it.
If I couldn't fix the seat, I was considering selling the bike.  I mean if you just don't enjoy the ride at 120 miles, what's the point of owning it?
That seems to be fixed.

Andrew

PS:  Two of the customers/bikes that day where out of BC.  They took the time to ride 1 or 2 days to come down to Rich's in person.
To me that says a lot right there as well.  A road king did both seats custom fit, including a back rest, nice leather and skull stitching on the drivers seat and back rest.. that was $1700.
A lot to swallow, and I could see it in their faces.   But after it was paid, they appeared to be very happy with the end product.
So Rich's in my world appears to be about value.. no they are not the cheapest.  But if you're fortunate enough to be able to afford it.. Its worth considering.

PPS:  The max they got me down was from the tip of my toes with both feet down, to now at the balls of my toes.  I'd estimate that is about 1" or so lowering.
It makes a huge difference in being able to back the bike out of my shed.  And also just comfort at stop lights.  
I also like the drop as it instantly raises up your handle bar grips and windshield in relation to you.. I think the bars now are high enough for me, and the windshield at some point I'll probably get a 2" extension.  Then I'll put the windshield in the low position for running around town.  Crank it up to full height (I'll be looking thru the windshield on nice days with a longer ride of free ways).  That should solve the buffeting completely.   Dropping that 1" or so, does raise the pegs in relationship to your hips so you have a bit more bend at the knee's.  I was a little concerned with that, but I know that could be fixed for about $500 in lowered pegs and euro side stand... that doesn't appear to be of need.  So it looks like its all going to work out.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:52:57 AM by andrewdonald1 »

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 11:44:03 AM »
The seat is firm but uneventfully comfortable on an 80 mile ride. I'll have to put in a 200-300 miler and report back.

Although I've only done 150 miles at a stretch, so far I've accumulated about 750 miles and the seat has broken in.  Still firm, but what an improvement.  I'm confident longer rides will be a breeze. (Still gunna get the height thing done, John.)
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 03:11:20 PM »
Although I've only done 150 miles at a stretch, so far I've accumulated about 750 miles and the seat has broken in.  Still firm, but what an improvement.  I'm confident longer rides will be a breeze. (Still gunna get the height thing done, John.)

You mean like in the movie "White Chicks" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqsbCkVX63c

(at 1:20)
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here