Author Topic: Adjustable handlebars for EV?  (Read 4336 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Adjustable handlebars for EV?
« on: May 15, 2015, 01:32:50 PM »
Some of these new-fangled guzzis appear to have bars that are adjustable in all planes -- height, spread, and reach.  Is there a way to adapt those (or something else) to the humble EV?

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Adjustable handlebars for EV?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 01:52:17 PM »
unless you wanted to adjust them on a regular basis, wouldn't handlebar replacement be much cheaper?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »
Yes, one bar would be cheaper, but unless I already knew the ideal geometry, how many bars would I be buying, and how many variations are available for that EV fat bar?  I have two fat bars on the shelf right now that I didn't like and I've been bending the one (#3) on the EV looking for the perfect shape.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:57:31 PM »
RK:  I'm about to start swapping bars, (several in stock, as I save my old take-offs), on my '04 Stone.  A Jackal riser and clamp fits the later top triple clamp and is made for a 7/8" diameter bar.  I initially liked the pull-back design of the OEM Stone bars, as they reminded me of the bend on my flat-track bikes of the 1960s, but lately my back doesn't like them.  I want to fit bars with less pull-back.  I'll post if results are encouraging. 

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:57:31 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 11:02:30 PM »
I'd appreciate knowing what you end up with.  I've been bending bars in my attempts to improve the geometry.  It's harder to do with the step-down fatties and it breaks the chrome.  If I was the only one who thought adjustable bars was a good idea, why do they come oem on some bikes?

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 11:36:10 PM »
I'd appreciate knowing what you end up with.  I've been bending bars in my attempts to improve the geometry.  It's harder to do with the step-down fatties and it breaks the chrome.  If I was the only one who thought adjustable bars was a good idea, why do they come oem on some bikes?

One would have to be vastly larger than my 138# to bend a pair of the "Fatties" on our hydros.  I think it's easier to look up the parts on Harpers, etc and buy the Jackal risers and top clamps, then get a set of EMGO low or high "Flat Track Bend " bars.  These have more pull-back than I like, but being ordinary bars, not Fatties, they are likely to bend much easier and I have not had trouble in the past bending such bars without breaking the chrome.  Since the swaged ends of the OEM fat bars is the usual 7/8", the hydros' controls interchange (I hope). 

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2017 Honda CB-500F

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 02:09:05 AM »
I clamp mine to the deck of my back porch and use a long cheater.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 12:36:43 AM »
Spent a pleasant 2 hours removing the 04 Stone's bars and risers and exchanging for the Jackal risers and clamp so I could try the EMGO "Low Flat Track" bars.  I cut these 1" on each side as they are very wide and I fit large (15oz) billet stainless bar-ends from Hudson Valley Motorcycle Parts to dampen vibration, which on this Stone is somewhat annoying.  The EMGO bars are lower and have about 1/2 the pull-back of the OEM Stone "beach" bars. 

After a 20 mile ride, I liked the new bars as they require me to lean forward to reach 2-3 inches farther to get to the grips.  Whatever the reason, I like the less swept-back position of the grips.  My back and wrists are happier with such a set up as I've experienced with other bikes.  The Jackal risers and clamp are silver and I'll paint them gloss black tomorrow to match the OEM Stone clamps.

If one is proficient with a lathe, which I'm not, I suspect it would not be difficult to turn a 4" sleeve with an inner diameter of 7/8" and an outer diameter of whatever the Stone/EV fat bars are (30mm?) and cut that longitudinally into two halves, like plain con rod bearing inserts, to clamp the new bars using the OEM Stone clamps.  The 1960s Triumphs used such a system to fit 7/8" bars in clamps made for 1" bars on some models. 

Ralph
Ralph

2017 Honda CB-500F

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 08:25:15 AM »
I didn't realize that the Stone came with the beach bars. I pulled off
 the ridiculously styled pull-backs on my Vintage and replaced them with Stone Touring bars. What a difference! The hand position is neutral and they're 3-4 inches narrower. My body weight is shifted forward a bit, allowing more positive control. Highly recommended...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

canuguzzi

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 02:28:21 PM »

Instead of bending bars and all that or swapping bars, you could try using plastic pipe, get the shape you want and then do the bend once accordingly. It works for making fairing mounts for bikes for which you have an unobtainium fairing but no mount.

Heat gun and go slow. If you mess up it is about pennies to start over. I wouldn't advise using them as test pieces on the road but otherwise it should work. The solid plastic pipe would work too but is pricier.

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 03:04:35 PM »
 RK , there may be a way to adapt the bar assembly from an RT beemer . Gonna take a different mount , and maybe a method of adapting switch gear , clutch and brake perches .

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 03:52:48 PM »
I was imagining some sort of clip-ons with two or three adjustment points for rise, width, and trail.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 04:17:42 PM »
Dunno.  That's why the topic is here -- to find out.  Thanks, Gilli Dob -- er -- Dusty.  I'll check them out.   :D

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 04:22:44 PM »
Dunno.  That's why the topic is here -- to find out.  Thanks, Gilli Dob -- er -- Dusty.  I'll check them out.   :D

Hey , Maynard was a rider , and quite the crumpet catcher , if legend is to be believed  :D

Dusty

canuguzzi

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 05:07:35 PM »
Maybe some kind of ROX risers would do the trick?

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »
Convertibars offers fully adjustable bars that clamp to fork legs...check out convertibar.com. They probably have some that will work. Prepare yourself for a >$350 price tag...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 01:46:21 PM »
Convertibars offers fully adjustable bars that clamp to fork legs...check out convertibar.com. They probably have some that will work. Prepare yourself for a >$350 price tag...

Ouch!

But this is the kind of information I'm looking for, thanks!  I'll check them out.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here