Author Topic: Fitting sleeve to protect gearbox from breaking universal joint V50/Monza  (Read 1517 times)

Offline madmax

• New Egg
Hello,
I'm new on this board. To introduce myself: Belgian/ 51 years/ MG Monza+ V50III +Gillet 500L / interest in anything technical but mainly motorcycles and electronics.
I have been reading for a while here and have a question. I've made a sleeve to insert around the gearbox output shaft to protect the housing from breaking when the universal joint gives up. Took me about an hour with a grinder and a welder to get that part made. It's not as easy as cutting off a length of pipe... The housing does taper so the sleeve needs to be adjusted for that. It takes a bit longer than expected to make it. Anyway it fits nicely.
My concern is that the sleeve will come loose and slide out of the housing.
Has anybody here fitted such a sleeve? How did you secure it?

To maintain the universal joint. How many miles/kms before greasing the joint? Is it enough to take the circlips and disc out and push a finger of grease in the cup? What grease to use?

Thanks
Max

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
roll pin? epoxy?
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
If you search here for "Lario rehab" on Wild Guzzi, you'll see somewhere in that thread what I did. I'd tell you, but I don't remember.  ;D I don't put stuff like that in long term storage in what's left of my brain..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
You might have better luck contacting more users if you browse to and join the "Small_Block_Guzzi" (you need the underscores between words) discussion forum at Yahoo Groups.  PM me if you have trouble finding or enrolling.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
i  fitted the sleeve with a bit of silicone sealant.
it is unlikely to move

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here