Author Topic: "Who Rides Like This?" Part 2 - V7 Stone Review  (Read 7436 times)

RickTReloaded

"Who Rides Like This?" Part 2 - V7 Stone Review
« on: May 18, 2015, 04:17:32 PM »
After 6200 miles and some upgrades, I thought I'd provide a follow-up to "Who Rides Like This?" http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=68512.msg1059556#msg1059556

Well, since that first canyon ride on my then-stock, brand new '13 V7 Stone, I've logged 6200 miles and made some note-worthy updates. No longer stock, the suspension was fully dialed-in with a Matris pre-load fork kit with Eibach linear springs (0.80); cut spacer 15mm, and mixed 10W & 15W Maxima (to about a 12W estimated). With this, I was able to achieve 32mm of sag and settle the rebound nicely. Rear shocks are standard factory Bitubos (V7R). Suspension was expertly setup by Guru Dave Moss of www.feelthetrack.co m. On the intake/exhaust side of things, I chose to go with a K&N filter and Mistral reverse-cone slip-ons (sans db-killers). Perfect ECU tuning courtesy of Clay Parkinson of PPM in Rancho Cordova, California, via Rexxer unit.  Brakes remain 100% stock Brembo. The tires were swapped from the stock Pirelli Sport Demons to Michelin Pilot Activ.  I hope to squeeze more than 4200 miles from the Michelins - experimenting with pressures - so far so good.  Oh... rear-sets are factory Guzzi V7R.

Now to the latest ride report. Since Napa/Berryessa is my backyard, most of my test-n-tune rides happen here. Many times, I'll just ride these roads because they are FUN and the area is a popular destination for Bay Area and Sacramento Area riders. Yesterday, the various riding groups were no different. There was a cadre of riders representing the NorCal Ducati Club, the Curve Unit (women riders group), other miscellaneous groups, and some knuckleheads on a Ducati, Aprilia, Suzuki, and a Guzzi. The weather prediction was cloudy all day in the low 70s, no rain - the local weather gal and my iPhone app did not lie. Met up around 0900 hrs at our usual spot for pre-ride coffee and bullshit. As more riders and groups started arriving, we started plotting our route and escape. With about 20 riders and everything from Ducati Superbikes to ADV bikes and a stretched 'Busa (YES, a f***ing stretched out 'Busa - WTF???) in the parking lot, we geared up and headed out...

As with every ride, I start off with a prayer in my helmet for the safety of everyone, and with the words "take it slow today". And as with every ride, those four words always turn me into a liar.  With this group of knuckleheads, every ride is easy (and fun), but it's never "slow". I lead the group out of Cordelia onto Suisun Valley Rd and rolled out gently as it turns into Wooden Valley Rd. We pick it up a bit around this point as the tires warmed up enough but we reserve the effort and pace until we get to Hwy 121.  The Guzzi feels good.  I feel good.  We make a right on 121 - destination: The Corners (121/128 junction). This BEAUTIFUL stretch of road is velvet smooth, twisty and flowing. A perfect place at a perfect pace to assess your machine and your skills. Today... everyone was ON POINT. The Guzzi lead the pair of Italians and a Japanese supersport (GSXR600) through this section - picking up the pace as the road tightened and raised and dropped. FLOW is what we had. We quickly devour the first course of twisties as we settled into the rhythm we'd be doing all day. We arrive at The Corners for Redbull and Bullshit, and to check if everyone was on the same page. Yep, we were on page 2 of the short story titled "Another Kick Ass Sunday". From there we continued on our way eventually taking all the wonderfully PERFECT backroads in my backyard. The Guzzi lead the group for the majority of the day.

Ok... Fast forward - My Moto Guzzi V7 Stone. After nearly 6200 miles, and with all the updates, the ole girl runs better than ever!! Suspension is simply perfect the way it is set up - it's actually settled in to a very compliant system keeping my tires planted, bravely leaned over on everything from super-smooth to typically-unsettling broken concrete. This is a testament to, not only the well set-up suspension, but the competence of the Michelin Pilot Activs. These tires have been nothing but extremely predictable in both long, fast sweepers and (my favorite) tight, twisty switchbacks and back roads as the V7 is cranked over enough to drag/grind the side-stand. The suspension tuning and Michelin tires work in concert to provide an exceptionally confident ride around my favorite roads.  The V7 remains a very flickable bike and now can enter corners quicker with inspiring confidence behind the suspension and tires. After the updates to the intake and exhaust, and requisite ECU reflash, fueling and throttle response is crisp and precise. ZERO issues in this area experiencing no surging or lag as I manage things with my right hand.  Great job by Rexxer and Clay @ PPM.  Lastly... brakes - still stock, but they actually feel better (??). I have no idea why, but with no updates in this area, I'm very happy how capable the stock brake system feels now.  I can easily trail brake when necessary and the bike slows predictable doing everything I want it to do - nothing harsh or jerky - just smooth with zero drama. The other things on the bike are just aesthetics so that's another post - as I have some design updates coming this summer.

In summary, the Moto Guzzi V7 Stone has been simply a JOY to ride and has been my go-to bike (sorry Ducati & Honda) since its arrival.  In the company of bigger, faster, more capable bikes with very competent riders, the "little" Guzzi V7 leaves very little to be desired after every single ride out. It's quick, fast enough, solid, beautiful - both aurally and visually - and immensely entertaining.  I loved this bike the moment I laid eyes on her and the relationship is more beautiful with every ride. CAPABLE, FLICKABLE, FUN.  Now you can add DURABLE, UNAPOLOGETIC & READY (for anything).

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: "Who Rides Like This?" Part 2 - V7 Stone Review
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »
and (my favorite) tight, twisty switchbacks and back roads as the V7 is cranked over enough to drag/grind the side-stand.
those are my favorites, too. How'd the stretched Busa do?  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 04:37:59 PM »
Rick,
Nice write up. Sounds like you've dialed in your v7 nicely.

In the late 60s and 70s I used to ride those very roads on my Honda S90, Kaw H1 and RD400F. Thompson's Corner in Cordelia, then to Rockville, Mankas Corner, and the loop, then either head out to Spanish Flats or to the dam (Putah Creek) and back through Vacaville. Sometimes we'd take Silverado Trail. So much fun! Things must be much different up there today.

Thanks for joggin' my memory.
Kirk

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »
Rick, thanks for putting some specifics into what it takes to get the front suspension to work.  Of course I have a bias to the V7 platform, owning one, but it's refreshing to hear someone talk about the bike in terms of its capabilities rather than the same old song:  under powered, under braked, no wheelies, old school, behind the cutting edge, etc.  As you noted, the V7 can be one hell of a lot of fun to ride...and ride fast.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 04:58:21 PM »
Thanks for the data on the forks.  How much do you weigh?
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline LaGrasta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 05:04:55 PM »
these were my roads as well, late 80s, Travis AFB. Nice to hear the names once again; great place, great times.

Rick,

In the late 60s and 70s I used to ride those very roads on my Honda S90, Kaw H1 and RD400F. Thompson's Corner in Cordelia, then to Rockville, Mankas Corner, and the loop, then either head out to Spanish Flats or to the dam (Putah Creek) and back through Vacaville. Sometimes we'd take Silverado Trail. So much fun! Things must be much different up there today.

You can buy style, but you have to build character.

'10 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
'03 Moto Guzzi VII Sport
'14 Kawasaki KLX250S
'89 Honda GB500tt
'82 Honda GL500 bobber
…and two step-through scooters too.

RickTReloaded

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 05:50:18 PM »
Rick,

Hi Kirk and LaGrasta. I'm sure the area has changed since you last were this way, but I can tell you even in just the last few years, the roads were freshly repaved and Knoxville Rd is currently being repaved.  The following was our nice loop... maybe this jogs your memory even more!

From Cordelia Junction:
- Suisun Valley Rd/Wooden Valley Rd
- 121/Monticello Rd
- 121/128 Moskowite Corner
- 128 Capell Valley Rd/Sage Canyon Rd
- Pass Knoxville Rd at Turtle Rock (road being repaved) - this section of Sage Canyon Rd is spectacular and even better in reverse!
- Right at Lake Hennessey (Chiles Pope Valley Rd) - tight, gnarly, and little rough, but fun!
- Left at Howell Mtn Rd up to Angwin down to Silverado Trail
- Right at Silverado Trail to Calistoga
- Right on 29 up Calistoga Grade - this section is a SUPER smooth racetrack of a road with passing lanes!!  Imagine being that car on the left passing lane, in a turn, with four knuckleheads roaring by leaned over so far - they look like they're about to fall off!
- Descend into Middletown
- LUNCH @ Beulah's Kitchen in Middletown (kick ass burgers and an ice-cold beer)
- Continue on 29 then right on Butts Canyon/Chiles Pope Valley
- Pope Valley Cross Rd/Pope Valley Canyon up to the Berryessa Bridge on Knoxville Rd.
- Back down to Chiles Pope Valley and reverse it all the way back again to 121/128 Moskowite Corner

Two went right back to Cordelia. Two of us went left on 128 back pass the dam toward Winters. I cut right into Pleasant Valley Rd and into Vacaville and home in time for a nap before my whiskey and a BBQ dinner!

Yeah... Another Kick Ass Sunday.  :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:52:48 PM by RickTReloaded »

RickTReloaded

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
Thanks for the data on the forks.  How much do you weigh?

I'm 175 lbs without gear.  I ride with full-leathers so probably >185 geared up?

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 06:24:47 PM »
Thanks  ;-T
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 01:03:10 AM »
Hey Rick, 6 years ago us Guzzisti used to meet once a month @ the Putah Creek Café in Winters and enjoy the roads where you went and myself, coming from Yuba City, I'd ride past Berryessa, up 29 to 53 and west on 20 for high speed curves back home.  ;D   There were always options.  I do miss those & many other norCal MC roads whilst here in Arizona now.  But once a year I can ride up there and enjoy them again.  :BEER:  But I have to tell you if I was on my MZ 660 single in a speed contest on those roads you wouldn't have a prayer.  ;)
Heck, if I was on my stock 750 Breva you might not be able to keep up.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:11:03 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 10:57:31 AM »
Great post Rick. Thanks to your detailed prior posts, my suspension is much improved. Just getting the correct weight-rated springs front and rear has made a huge improvement in everyday riding/commuting. I did Race Tech .80 springs in front with Matris preload adjusters and weight rated Race Tech springs on the stock BiTubos. I actually now have some sag whereas I had practically none with OEM springs. (I'm 135lbs). My goal this summer is to get it properly measured and dialed in.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 12:20:12 PM »
But I have to tell you if I was on my MZ 660 single in a speed contest on those roads you wouldn't have a prayer.  Wink

Pretty strong statement, there, Wayne. Sorry, but I have to call BS. You don't know this guy from Adam, and he just might be a fast rider..  :pop
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 12:51:57 PM »
Very nice write-up!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

RickTReloaded

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 01:06:09 PM »
Hey Rick, 6 years ago us Guzzisti used to meet once a month @ the Putah Creek Café in Winters and enjoy the roads where you went and myself, coming from Yuba City, I'd ride past Berryessa, up 29 to 53 and west on 20 for high speed curves back home.  ;D   There were always options.  I do miss those & many other norCal MC roads whilst here in Arizona now.  But once a year I can ride up there and enjoy them again.  :BEER:  But I have to tell you if I was on my MZ 660 single in a speed contest on those roads you wouldn't have a prayer.  ;)

I still go to the Putah Creek Cafe for their outdoor oven-baked pizza...Mmmmmm!  And you're right... It's always them unsuspecting riders on the Guzzi, BMW, or MZ that'll get you every time. ;-T

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 01:49:43 PM »
I'm 175 lbs without gear.  I ride with full-leathers so probably >185 geared up?

Wow you're running some lite gear.  My Dianese jacket is probably 15+ lbs and my Dianese leather pants are more like 20 lbs.

I bet between my jump boots, leather jacket, leather pants I took the knee pucks off to save weight & because there's no way in hell I'm ever going to "bank" that far, helmet, gloves, pocket knife, garage door opener, glasses, 2 pairs of undershorts you never know when you may need a spare  and t shirt I add 40 lbs to my chubby self.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »
UH OH  ;D Yeah , more than one guy has told me how fast they are ... until the engines came to life and the road got interesting  ;)

AND... I ain't all that fast  :D
  Dusty

When I know the roads and having been a successful amateur road racer, any time you want a comparison of our riding skills I'm up to it.  ;)

This guy suggested he was leading his group because he was a better rider.   1 of them was on a 600 crotch rocket.  Obviously those behind him were not letting him lead because he was the best rider.  Perhaps he was showing them roads they were not familiar with.  If he was actually staying ahead of a 600 Jap. bike rider who knew how to ride,  neither he or I would have a prayer staying in front of that 600 competent rider.

Penderic

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 05:53:36 PM »
Half Fast?  ::)  :D

RickTReloaded

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 06:16:18 PM »
You guys are funny. :) Not the fastest MoFo around but enjoy riding in good company. Let me know whenever any of you gentlemen are back in the area.  I'd love to be towed around these roads the fast way... Then we can stop in Calistoga for some great BBQ.

Oh and in defense of my buddy on his GSXR600... It was his 3rd ride out since a devastating crash last October where he broke his pelvis and femur. So he's got a hall pass.

For the record, I ride with another group on WeeStroms.. Now THOSE guys can ride! Cheers fellas... :BEER:

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here