Author Topic: Modern tach replacment for 850 Eldorado  (Read 2700 times)

canuck750

Modern tach replacment for 850 Eldorado
« on: May 18, 2015, 07:25:31 PM »
The electronic Veglia tachometer in my Guzzi has crapped out, second one in two years. It started to go while on an all day ride today, started to flutter and the engine would run rough while the needle swung. When I stopped it was hard to start, like it had flooded, I am sure the plugs are sooty. Towards the end of a couple hundred mile ride the tach was swinging between 3000 and 6000 rpm like a windshield wiper gone nuts. I think that when the tach acts up the spark is interrupted, power drops as the mixture fails to ignite on each stroke. I am tired of these old Veglia instruments breaking down.

Does anyone know of a modern 80mm electronic replacement that will plug and play with the stock Guzzi electronics ?

There are reproductions of the stock Eldo gauges on German Ebay, not sure of the quality.

Thanks

Jim

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
Re: Modern tach replacment for 850 Eldorado
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »
Put an ambo dash on it.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

canuck750

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:29:51 PM »
I would love to fit an Eldorado Police dash, anyone got one, trade, sell ??

Offline ibis1

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:59:23 PM »
I would love to fit an Eldorado Police dash, anyone got one, trade, sell ??

Contact Moe at Cycle Garden in Huntington Beach, California. 714-848-5955  He does a lot of Guzzi Police bikes and has tons of parts.  :BEER:
2010 California Vintage (Gone)
1971 750 Ambassador (Gone)
2014 California Touring

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:59:23 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 10:08:12 AM »
The electronic Veglia tachometer in my Guzzi has crapped out, second one in two years. It started to go while on an all day ride today, started to flutter and the engine would run rough while the needle swung. When I stopped it was hard to start, like it had flooded, I am sure the plugs are sooty. Towards the end of a couple hundred mile ride the tach was swinging between 3000 and 6000 rpm like a windshield wiper gone nuts. I think that when the tach acts up the spark is interrupted, power drops as the mixture fails to ignite on each stroke. I am tired of these old Veglia instruments breaking down.

Are you sure it was the tachometer?
I would have thought the input resistance of the tachometer would be too high to effect the spark, it might be the other way around losing power effects the tach.

Speedhut make excellent gauges, you can customize them to look like the original, they work on a completely different principle though Stepper motor and microprocessor.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:12:32 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

canuck750

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »
Hi Roy

The Veglia electronic tach is notorious for failure, when it completely goes the engine dies until the tach is disconnected.

I have pulled a couple of the Veglia tachometers apart, there is a plastic disc that encases a pot metal or dirt alloy piece of metal, the disc picks up the current. With age the disc expands and splits the plastic and then it fails.

I have tried to repair these but with no luck. I am thinking that I could measure the plastic part and have a 3D printer reproduction made, then I will need to file down the metal part to fit into the new plastic, and then it may still not work....

I will look into the link you sent, thanks for the lead

Cheers

Jim

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here