General Category > General Discussion

What Kind of Foam for Jackal Seat Fix?

<< < (4/6) > >>

Semper-guzzi:

--- Quote from: Petrus Rocks on January 10, 2015, 09:47:40 AM ---
If you want to soften the seat a layer of 1/2" to 1" foam under the stock seat foam makes a noticeable difference.  You would slice  1-2" below the top from front to back.  Remove some material and glue in the new foam.   Use an electric knife to trim the excess and blend the different foams together.  If you put it under the existing foam there is much less shaping to do. 

--- End quote ---

This sounds like the ticket. I might give this a shot. And soon. The Jackal seat is so bad, I get incredibly uncomfortable by the 30 minute mark.

Pasta Hog:
I am back on the project. I took a deep breath and gutted the Crunchboard. I needed to get rid of it anyway, because it serves no purpose and no one will buy it. It turns out it was full of rebond foam. Exactly what I need.

There is a flat layer about 1 1/4" thick, plus two wedges at the ends. The flat part is 13" by 31".

Question: if I put two pieces of this stuff side-by-side on the pan, will I have problems? It's not big enough to cover in one piece. I am also wondering if adhesive will bond it to itself strongly enough to turn two pieces into one.

I have 3M 77 lying around. Will that work or should I get 3M 74?

I guess I'll have to spring for an air stapler, since the hand stapler doesn't like the seat pan much.

charlie b:
I'd use contact cement to bond the two halves together.  Then treat it as one piece when you make the seat.  If it were me, I'd use the technique in that DIY seat website and put a piece of plywood underneath for extra support on the outside where you need it.  That way if the glue bond does come apart your seat won't 'sag' on you ;)

Pasta Hog:
Home Depot gave me a floor model Porter-Cable stapler for $30, so life is sweet even if the seat sucks.

Pasta Hog:
I did it.

When I got the leather off, I saw that the customizer had put a gel pad in the seat. I think this was the biggest problem. It was mushy, so I guess I was sitting directly on the upward projections on the seat pan. I ripped out the pad and installed a layer of rebond foam, and I added a U-shaped piece of foam around the back of the seat to give me some support when I hit the throttle.

I used a band saw to trim the foam, but to shape it, I used a grinder with a wire brush. Bad idea, but the seat looks fine.

The stapler was no good. The staples had to be done over and over. The seat looks pretty bad from underneath. But I did save $400+. Maybe I can get someone to redo the staples. I have not ridden the bike yet, but it can't be any worse than it was.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version