General Category > General Discussion

What Kind of Foam for Jackal Seat Fix?

<< < (2/6) > >>

tpeever:
You will want to use a fairly dense foam for the base layers, especially if you are 200 plus pounds like me. Build up layers by gluing them together with spray foam and cutting to shape with a carving knife as someone else mentioned. For the final top layer you want to put on a low density foam of 1/2 inch thickness or so to cover up all the imperfections and to stretch out the vinyl cover and keep the seat free of wrinkles and looking good. You should be able to buy the lower density foam at a fabric/crafts type of store like Michael's. The higher density stuff for the base layers is harder to find. Some of the foam camping pads are about the right consistency and so is carpet underlay as someone else mentions. Also, some of the MC seat manufacturers will sell you their "magic foam" but it is pricey. Another source I have seen are places that sell foam for aircraft seats like this one:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/building_materials/bm/menus/cm/foam.html

Spray adhesive should be available at your local hardware store or at a fabric/crafts store. I use 3M Spray Adhesive.

You might need to try a couple of different kinds of staple guns and different lengths of staples. Maybe you are trying to use staples that are too long and the gun doesn't have the juice to get them all the way into the seat pan? You can also glue the cover to the pan using a super contact cement or combine the use of the glue with staples for extra hold.

charlie b:
Try this site

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/

Yes, you want to get the high sensity upholstry foam (like above, it looks like chopped up pieces glued together).

You might also want to add a cross piece as shown on that web site.

Don't know about the staple gun.  When I modified a Gold Wing seat I used a hand staple gun and it worked fine.  Some of the powered guns don't seem to have as much power as the spring loaded ones.

charlie

Pasta Hog:
I appreciate the help. I found the rebond foam (firm lower layer) online, and I think I can get it locally in the form of a carpet pad if I don't mind overpaying.

I'm kind of wondering if I can cannibalize an old ab crunch board for the upper foam. It has nice firm foam on it, and nobody does crunches any more.

I know an old Cuban guy who does car upholstery. I may run it by his shop before making myself crazy.

Kiwi_Roy:
We have a chain store in Vancouver called "The Foam Shop?
Otherwise any furniture upholsterer should have what you need.

SemperVee:

I have a moderate amount of experience in this as I have done it myself several times.
* To cut to the chase, -  find a commercial foam company and purchase what is known as " 25 lb."  foam.
 You will probably not need more then a square foot of it.  That, a bread knife or electric knife and some spray adhesive with a staple gun and time
shaving and forming you can do a pretty nice job as I have found out. :^) 
 One you got it down it is very satisfying to not only save hundreds of dollars but you can  make adjustments as needed!
Good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version