General Category > General Discussion

First Special Service Force receives Congressional Medal

(1/6) > >>

Guzzistajohn:
Please let me start this post by asking that any comments of a political nature be kept private. This is only an attempt to honor the fighting men of the First Special Service Force and to share what I consider a once in a lifetime experience.

If you're interested in reading more about the force, click on this link.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/congress-awards-first-special-service-force-gold-medal/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAjKfNaf7QQ

Reciently I had the honor of recieving an invatation from the office of John Boehner to attend a Congressional Gold Medal Ceremony. Feb. 3rd was the 70th anniversary of the disbanding of "The Force"

41 members of The Force (AKA Devil's Brigade) attended, it was an honor to meet and shake hands with men who fought with my father, Everett Schurke.
We had a great view from the hotel window, The Air Force Memorial and Arlington Cemetary and The Pentagon in the foreground.

Speeches were given by John Boehner, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Dick Durbin. It really makes an impact when leaders of our country use terms like commando and eliete fighting force, really? my old man??

I also had the honor of meeting the men that designed the medal and got them to autograph the program, (what a job those guys have)

This gentleman is 107 years old and being given his copy of the medal. He moved from the Philippines to join the Army in '42 and singed up with the force. Pretty impressive I thought.

So, Thank you Dad and the other 1799 men who fought and died to free us and many others in Italy, Norway and France from tyranny, and congratulations for recieving this medal and joining the ranks of other brave men like the Navajo Code Talkers and the Tuskegee Airmen.

If it wasn't for these brave men, Mandello might have been cranking out BMW's all these years. (Guzzi content) :D

ken farr:
Wow.

Just WOW.

;-T

kjf

drlapo:
USA! USA! USA!

biking sailor:
John, I can see the resembalance you have with your Father.  You have a right to be proud! 

Dilliw:
Great Post.   ;-T

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version