General Category > General Discussion

KY to Ft. Collins ride in May; need route suggestions

(1/3) > >>

blackbuell:
My eldest daughter recently moved to Fort Collins, and I have already planned to take two trips out west this summer which will include stops in FC to spend time with her and her family. I have driven and ridden across the Great Plains countless times, and am always looking for new, interesting (but still relatively quick) ways to get across the expanse. Was looking at maps today and noticed US 34 though Iowa, Nebraska, and NE Colorado; I have never traveled on this road. Is this a good (interesting but reasonably fast) way across these states? Also: on US 34 are there good places, like state parks, for camping?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

Guzzistajohn:
Never taken 34 across, but I have taken 36 to the south, it's a good ride. The Poudre river area west of Ft. Collins is a REALLY nice area to ride.

blackbuell:
Gj,

Rode to CO a few summers back mainly on route 36; I agree, nice MC road.  ;-T

Would like to try something new to me.

Jon

Guzzistajohn:
If you take the 34 route you should meet up with Fubarguzzi in Ne. that guy is a friggin hoot!

ChuckH:
I've ridden across the "Great Middle" a few times, trying to use a different route each time.  It's a two-day jaunt from here to FC, the first will end in the Kansas City area, the second will get you there.  

Highway 36 runs west out of Indy, across the top of Kansas and is somewhat scenic.  I rode the I-States to Hannibal, MO and picked up 36 from there headed West for that trip.  I've not travelled Highway 34 yet but it's probably like 36 with small towns every 20 miles and cafes and gas stations in each one.  Depending on your timing, you may run into some road construction delays.

I-70 will be the fastest, if that's your goal, but you will have to dodge the truck traffic.

I'll be going to FC in June this year.  I will begin this trip from Dubuque, IA (family friend there) and heading SW to pick up I-80.  I'll probably overnight in Kearney, NE and then FC the next night.  

I generally "motel it" when I'm on the road rather than find a camping venue.  It's a time saving decision.  However, in '13 I pre-reserved a KOA small cabin for one night since I had my camping/sleeping equipment with me.  That worked out fine and was lower cost than a motel in the same area.  I may take that approach again if the opportunity exists.    

Hope this helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version