General Category > General Discussion

2013 V7 oil in the airbox

(1/2) > >>

guzziv7fan:
Find oil in my air box all the time and notice my oil level goes down a bit. Looks to me like the oil is being sucked out of the heads into the airbox by those two breather hoses coming off the heads into that air box.

I'm thinking about joining the two breather hoses with a T or Y and then installing a little K&N filter between the junction of the two breather hoses. Then block the two holes at the bottom of the airbox since I will no longer need them.

I'm thinking this would stop the oil from being sucked out of those heads and they should still breath ok with the fix. I've had this same issue on other bikes and used this type fix and it stop my oil from disappearing. I'm not using a great deal of oil but it will take the oil down to the bottom line on the dip stick after a few thousand miles about 300cc's to 400cc's usage maybe. I'm almost certain it is the design of this breather system causing this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Maybe someone on here already incorporated this type fix for this breather system after finding the same issue with their V7.

Notice a third hose from the lower crank going into the airbox with some type of check valve attached. Looks like that is meant as a return of some type. Why the check valve is confusing or they did that so it can't suck the oil out of the lower half of the motor into the airbox.

The system looks somewhat well thought out but as other systems like this they often cause oil to be sucked out of the motor because you end up with a certain amount of suction created in the airbox.

oldbike54:
Cue Vasco DG , come  in Pete  :D

Dusty

sib:
On the newer V7's, oil isn't "sucked" out of the valve covers.  What happens is that all engine blow-by is vented via the valve cover hoses.  It flows into a chamber in front of the air box where the oil is condensed on "filters" which are similar to the oil-trapping filters in a cooking stove vent hood.  The condensed oil flows back into the crankcase via hoses and a one-way valve.  The air in the blow-by is vented to the air box via a small (1/4") hole between the filter chamber and the air box proper.  There will usually be a small coating of oil in the air box.  If there is more, then the cause is probably a blockage in the oil recovery hoses or the one-way valve.  Overall, this system works very well to recover most of the oil in the blow-by and send it back to the crankcase, and the engine loses very little oil.  I've never detected any oil use between 10,000 km servicing intervals on my '13 V7 Stone.

sib:

--- Quote from: guzziv7fan on February 07, 2015, 01:04:58 PM ---Been installing 2.5 liters with filter, have found if you go over that it pumps oil like crazy into that airbox.

--- End quote ---

Are you sure that 2.5 liters isn't too much?  With the stock sump, spec is 2.0 liters.

sib:

--- Quote from: guzziv7fan on February 07, 2015, 01:27:50 PM ---So if I understand this right, what I did will not prevent the oil blowing out of the heads. So the system is design to blow oil out the heads and then recover the oil. So I could maybe just have had a blockage in that return system like that check valve deal?

--- End quote ---

Generally speaking, you can't prevent blow-by, it's an unavoidable consequence of internal combustion engines with imperfectly sealing piston rings and valve stems.  The best that can be done is to recover the oil in the blow-by stream and vent the residual gases.  That said, modern engines are very good at accomplishing this and lose ("use") very little oil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version