General Category > General Discussion

Velorex sidecars. Model 563 Touring

(1/7) > >>

swalker:
   Looking for someone with Velorex sidecar experience. Not sure yet what I am going to do, but I do want to keep riding my Guzzi. So I am kicking around a Velorex 563 sidecar to add to my California Custom. Will just have to see how things play out.
   Right now I am back home and I believe I am about over the pneumonia that put me back in the hospital. I feel like if I bought a sidecar for my California, it would just make it easier for me to continue running up and down the highways. I have heard about Velorex sidecars most all of my motorcycling life and have not really ever heard a bad word about them. So I am looking here to get some other guys thoughts. I do hope it all works out to where I don't have to just give up riding. God has pulled me through quite a bit the last few months and my faith and believing has not backed up one bit. I feel like all will be well.
   Thanks once again for all your concerns, thoughts and prayers for me and my wife and family.
Steve

StuCorpe:
I was warned against putting a 562 on mine, don't know about 563.  There are several guys with hacks on here and I'm sure they will have answers for you.  I ended up with a Texas Ranger and really like it!

guzzisteve:
It might be a little on the light side for the Cali14, you could have a ballast plate made for under the tub to add some weight to it. Velo's are ok for what they cost.  Then you wouldn't have to pack up much to hit up the rallies, just toss it in the chair and go. Glad to hear you are doing good.

Lee Bruns:
The Velorex is an easy bolt on for a Cal1100 or any of the T framed bikes. I have not put one on a Cal14 yet. If you're buying new, it'll already have the big axle, if used then measure to see that it has the big axle. Ballast is easy. No issue there.

Hahnda:
The Velorex was originally designed for a 350cc 2-stroke motorcycle. While you do see a few on larger bikes, personally I don't like to install them on bikes over 650cc. If you compare the tubing size to others on the market it is smaller in diameter and isn't a very robust build. Yes you can ballast them to work on heavier bikes but you still have the stress on the frame. I have seen the lower sidecar arms between the bike and sidecar bend or break. Having ridden a 1400  and installed and ridden bikes with a Velorex I wouldn't put the two together. Don't get me wrong, the Velorex can be a great sidecar on the right bike, just not the 1400.

Lots  options out there but most are going to be a bit more than the Velorex and some are going to be a lot more. One thing you have to deal with is the mounting. That is going to be something to consider when finding one. If the sidecar manufacturer has already made a subframe kit to bolt the sidecar on it might be pretty straight forward. If not you will find yourself or someone knowledgeable fabricating the parts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version