Author Topic: Calvin brain trust, please school me  (Read 62954 times)

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
Re: Calvin brain trust, please school me
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2015, 01:06:14 PM »
    Hello all  this is about the calvin windshield. I'll just get to the point I think the owners of a calvin will see it an if for them might try it.

I took the top mounting bolts out the one that determine the angle our rake of the windshield, moved the windshield back at the top increasing the angle or getting the top of the windshield closer to my nose and drilled new holes I hade to remove the windshield itself to do this. maybe with a small drill or angle head this would not need to be done.

I had trouble seeing over my windshield which was my biggest complaint and as a benefit I'm in cleaner an quieter air. now that I have done it I may try some more.  so an option I have not seen anybody talk about before looks very natural. Dan

So you used the lower hole, and redrilled the upper hole shown below?

How tall are you? I cannot imagine the CalVin screen being thought of as "too tall"
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2015, 03:50:02 PM »
I replaced the OEM barn door with a California 'Sport' windscreen - I think both Harpers and MG Cycle carry them.  You will need to manufacture brackets for the spotlites - the Sport brackets do not extend beyond the lower triple clamps.

From a performance POV - the screen works really well.  There is no buffeting.  I can ride comfortably with the faceshield open up to 65-70 mph - close the faceshield and I can go as fast as I like - I have topped the ton without any wind related complaints.

FWIW I am 5'8" tall.

The CalVin is new to me (08 model year).  I'm still working thru the PO's misadventures.  I'm not a big fan of the luggage - I mean it looks nice and all, but I dont think they're designed for the more serious tourer - waddaya mean they dont come off?  What a PITA!!

I'm looking for a set of clean, used Lafranconi Competitione mufflers (already got the GuzziTech x-over) - then I can ship the ECU off to Todd for a reflash.

Does anybody know if the HB luggage (and racks) from an earlier Cali/EV are a bolt-up on the CalVin?

Cheers!

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2023, 08:00:35 AM »
Howdy, all (RIP, Mike). This thread is a useful resource as I slowly get acquainted with my "new" CalVin.

I'm quickly getting used to the high 'boards but still would like some more leg room. I'll start with trying to raise the seat a bit. I've ordered an '01 California Sport solo seat to tinker with.

My bike has the Harper's Outsider, which puts the filter *very* close to the OE crossover muffler. It kinda bugs me, but I don't know if it's an actual problem.

An actual problem is the non-functioning pedal brake light switch. A quick inspection revealed this:

What I don't know is if this setup is OE or some DIY fix. Anybody know?

Tim

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2023, 08:30:08 AM »
Stock switch. Get an H pipe for exhaust fix on filter.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2023, 08:30:08 AM »

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2023, 05:13:38 PM »
Was thinking about the h-pipe already, so definitely will do now.  Will try to find the correct switch too.  Thanks.
Tim

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2023, 05:35:24 PM »
I think this is the switch even though it says Nevada: https://www.harpermoto.com/switch-nevada-32657060.html

A Goodridge switch might be a good alternative:
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_146&products_id=1583
Charlie

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2023, 10:06:51 PM »
I believe the CalVin's wheels are the same as were OEM on my two California Stone hydros (how I miss them!) and I converted all four wheels to tubeless for under $40.  Two Camel 3/8" stem tubeless valve stems and about 3 tubes of Shoe Goo from WalMart.  Shoe Goo is the toughest sealant I ever have used.   Note, valley of the wheel rim where the spoke nipples sit must be really clean.  Solvent and hot, soapy water and dry with compressed air, let sit overnight.  My OCD now is prevalent and after the Shoe Goo treatment is done I will overlay the wheel wells with 3-M sealing tape for redundancy's sake.  I hope I remember to poke a hole through the tape at the inner end of the valve stem!

I never had a problem with either Stone's wheels holding air. The only problem with holding was 135# me holding up the Stones.  Had to admit to aging process and downsize to a Breva 750.  A nice bike, but no hydro 1100. 

At this point, I have converted the front wheel of my 2021 Royal Enfield 650 to tubeless and am 3/4 done with the rear wheel.  There are internet "how to" videos of this.

Ralph
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:08:46 PM by krglorioso »
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2023, 06:19:52 PM »
I think this is the switch even though it says Nevada: https://www.harpermoto.com/switch-nevada-32657060.html

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_146&products_id=1583

I bought the Goodridge switch from MG Cycle. After soldering it to the good end of the OE cable, I now have a brake light.

Also from MG Cycle I have a h-pipe to install at some point soon. 

From eBay I've ordered '98 EV wheels. I don't like tubes on a big road bike.
Tim

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2023, 12:43:18 PM »

I'm trying to figure out why I've lost nearly all brake pressure at the pedal after replacing the switch. First I bought the Goodridge and then the OE switch, thinking it might be different at the master cylinder end (it's not). I've bled the lines at each caliper but I've got a soft, long pedal and nearly no stopping power. Everything was fine before I started messing with the switch.   
Tim

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2023, 05:17:14 PM »
If you have a CalVin there is also a bleeder on top of integral splitter which will be top top of system. The rear you have to take off so bleeder faces up. I have even taken wheel off to feed line up in a long strait line to help air go up. Put a wrench between pads, tied in place.

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #190 on: March 23, 2023, 06:24:08 PM »
If you have a CalVin there is also a bleeder on top of integral splitter which will be top top of system. The rear you have to take off so bleeder faces up. I have even taken wheel off to feed line up in a long strait line to help air go up. Put a wrench between pads, tied in place.

Thought I responded to you before, sorry.  Yes, I unbolted the rear caliper and turned it right side up. I got some big fat air bubbles out that way. Brakes are serviceable now; I'll probably try the Tonti "reverse bleed" process with a big syringe at some point to see if I can get them perfect.   

Today I finally installed the Mistral h-pipe and I like the sound. Even better is the Beetle map. The engine now makes power below 4k, and the long gearing is nicely suited. 

Oh, and I removed the windscreen.  All quiet and smooth now.

Tomorrow I hope to install a "new" tubeless EV wheel on the rear. Still searching for a matching front but am less bothered by the remote prospect of having to replace a tube on the front. 

She's a bit shabby looking, and needs a bath, but she's fun and offers way more cornering clearance than my "old" V7 III. We had a great time this afternoon, til the shifter came undone.  :laugh: I bimbled home in 2nd gear. Easy fix. 

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 06:30:20 PM by HarveyMushman »
Tim

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #191 on: March 24, 2023, 02:18:21 AM »
IIRC you can't reverse bleed the cal vin, the proportioning valve only works in one direction. You can push from the front brake to the splitter but nothing else as I found to my frustration some time ago.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2023, 09:27:45 AM »

Does anybody know if the HB luggage (and racks) from an earlier Cali/EV are a bolt-up on the CalVin?

You would need to use Jackal/Stone brackets, if I'm not mistaken.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #193 on: March 24, 2023, 03:04:55 PM »
I used brackets from an EV and had to lose the rear rack as well as doing some cutting and maybe some welding.

The bags are worth it though!

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2023, 05:49:15 PM »
The four bolts that secure the two rear shocks . . . are they supposed to be puny 8mm's?   
Tim

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2023, 01:20:07 PM »
Installed the tubeless EV rear wheel.

Mike's photos don't display anymore so I wasn't entirely sure what he meant by there being a gap with this wheel. Now I know:

Everything assembled fine, in good alignment--the wheel spins freely and the caliper grabs the rotor as it's supposed to.  The gap didn't bother Mike and I'm in no position to doubt him so I guess I'll see how it does.  Assuming it causes no problems, I'm happy to have a tubeless wheel back there. I wouldn't want to have to R&R the rear wheel on the side of the road somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 01:23:43 PM by HarveyMushman »
Tim

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #196 on: March 29, 2023, 04:05:48 PM »
nice!!

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2023, 01:42:16 PM »
I give up. What magic is required to remove the inner spark plugs? I have two sockets that fit the new plugs, one a plug socket and the other a standard deep 16mm socket, but neither grabs the hex of the plug in the head.
Tim

Online guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2023, 01:53:15 PM »
You might need to thin down the OD of the socket.

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2023, 06:10:42 PM »
You might need to thin down the OD of the socket.

Don't have those kind of tools, so I ordered a thin-wall socket that is reputed to work. 
Tim

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2023, 04:26:18 PM »
I bought an OE seat from a member here, and like it better than the Corbin that came with my bike, primarily because it's taller.

So I swapped the Corbin for another seat, a solo Russell Day Long, from another member here. However, it seems the CalVin has a different seat attachment design and the Russell (from an '02 EV) does not come close to meeting the CalVin's latch. This photo is after I removed the four rubber posts that made the gap even larger.

Anyone know if I could just order a different latch setup, or are there more fundamental differences at work here?
Tim

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #201 on: November 07, 2023, 05:34:10 AM »
What’s required to change the gearing? Just a “new” 8:33 final drive?
Tim

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #202 on: November 07, 2023, 04:08:13 PM »
     Not sure why,or how badly you want to change gearing,but I'll throw this out there for your consideration.

Following the recommendations of some of the learned guzzisti on the Tonti 5 speed tranny;

I now ride my CalVin like a 4 speed & treat 5th,like an od gear;the engine & bike seem to be happier and in a sweeter spot.

fwiw ymmv
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #203 on: November 07, 2023, 05:28:18 PM »
     Not sure why,or how badly you want to change gearing,but I'll throw this out there for your consideration.

Following the recommendations of some of the learned guzzisti on the Tonti 5 speed tranny;

I now ride my CalVin like a 4 speed & treat 5th,like an od gear;the engine & bike seem to be happier and in a sweeter spot.

fwiw ymmv

Why? Because the stock gearing is absurdly tall. I treat mine like a 3-speed. I rarely use 4th, and never 5th. Backroads riding, no highways.
Tim

Offline michaell32

• New Egg
« Reply #204 on: November 07, 2023, 09:44:46 PM »
I bought an OE seat from a member here, and like it better than the Corbin that came with my bike, primarily because it's taller.

So I swapped the Corbin for another seat, a solo Russell Day Long, from another member here. However, it seems the CalVin has a different seat attachment design and the Russell (from an '02 EV) does not come close to meeting the CalVin's latch. This photo is after I removed the four rubber posts that made the gap even larger.

Anyone know if I could just order a different latch setup, or are there more fundamental differences at work here?
I have an 03 california ev.  The seat that the bike came with hurts my tailbone after about an hour.  I tried a seat from a 98 california that was taller because of extra padding and ran into the same issue.  I made an bracket out of a stainless steel panel I had laying around that raised the latch.  The seat release cable will not work though because it is too short.  I took off the key release and used a ferrell to make a loop so I can still release the seat.  The loop is tucked behind the side cover.  My guess is the bracket that the latch bolts to changed around 2000 or some of the sub models around the 02/03 era use different brackets.  The taller seat hurt my tailbone just as much as the original so I took it off.

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #205 on: November 20, 2023, 08:51:46 AM »
Stopped by a "local" race track yesterday and filled up the tank with 100 octane unleaded--nearly 3 gallons of it, mixed with the 2+ gallons of 93 that was in there. Not sure of the ethanol content of the track fuel. Regardless, the engine loves the stuff. It's smoother, tractors away from a stop more readily, revs more freely, and definitely never pings. $10/gallon and not a convenient fill-up spot, so I won't make a habit of it, but now I'm dreading going back to the usual swill. Any harm in feeding the engine a steady diet of octane booster?
Tim

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #206 on: November 20, 2023, 09:50:50 AM »
Yes, booster is OK just don't over do it, can also leave deposits.  I used to use AvGas low lead & 93, it made 100 octane at a 50/50 mix.
Now I use 90 non ethanol and a little DurAlt fuel conditioner.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #207 on: November 21, 2023, 10:26:50 AM »

fwiw ymmv

yep
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online vintage53

• Gosling
« Reply #208 on: November 21, 2023, 11:55:01 AM »

Hi
Tubeless wheels look really nice, my only concern would be debris entering the gap on the hub.     I kept mine with Tubes.  And yes, the gearing is long but it's a Highway Cruser when you want it to be.

My 2010 Calvin. 

1977 Lemans 1.2 "Project"
2004 V11 Coppa Italia
2010 California Vintage
2021 Vespa 75th Anniversary Primavera 150

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2024, 02:27:12 PM »
What do I have to do to keep the shift linkage assembled? I've tried locking washers, locking nuts, Locktite, second keeper nuts, even the OE-correct Belleville washer. Everything vibrates loose. It's fallen apart once, leaving me stuck in 2nd gear. Now I have to check it before every ride, and it always needs tightening. What's the problem?

Tim

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here