General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

1978 Le Mans restoration

<< < (16/17) > >>

2WheelsUp:
Thanks Blackat!  I see you have a Norton FB... I'm looking for one that I'm hoping to restore but its difficult to find any FB let alone that hasn't been touched. A very nice 1969 FB sold on BAT a couple days ago (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-norton-commando-fastback/).

blackcat:

--- Quote from: 2WheelsUp on May 19, 2022, 09:37:15 PM ---Thanks Blackat!  I see you have a Norton FB... I'm looking for one that I'm hoping to restore but its difficult to find any FB let alone that hasn't been touched. A very nice 1969 FB sold on BAT a couple days ago (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-norton-commando-fastback/).

--- End quote ---

That bike on BAT needed some fork shrouds and gaiters to make it right but it sold for a reasonable price considering. Every once in awhile I see one come up for sale on eBay but not many lately. I’d put a want add in the classifieds on Access Norton.  The yellow Norton on BAT that sold after the FB was sold for half of what it should have gotten. I’m surprised the seller didn’t put a reserve on that bike.

My 68:

I’ve owned the bike since the late 80’s and that is the original paint on the tank and tail section but the frame and all black parts were repainted. If you do find a 68, make sure you look closely at the frame as they were known to crack at the head with catastrophic results for the rider. I had mine modified to match the later frames.  The 69’s did not have that problem.  Last year I installed a pair of Amal Premiers and the bike starts with one or two attempts and it runs perfectly fine. No oil leaks but it does weep an occasional  drop after a long ride.  The bike is not perfect as I left some of the marks it acquired over the years as I dislike overly buffed out aluminum parts. 

2WheelsUp:

--- Quote from: blackcat on May 23, 2022, 09:19:57 AM ---I’d put a want add in the classifieds on Access Norton.

--- End quote ---
Makes sense, I just added a wanted item on the INOA site. Your FB is beautiful, exactly what I'm looking for. I bid on the one that sold on BAT but the price including buyer fees and delivery got a bit rich... I guess... I have some regrets I didn't pursue it further. In any event, I'll find one eventually.

blackcat:

--- Quote from: 2WheelsUp on May 23, 2022, 10:34:11 AM ---Makes sense, I just added a wanted item on the INOA site. Your FB is beautiful, exactly what I'm looking for. I bid on the one that sold on BAT but the price including buyer fees and delivery got a bit rich... I guess... I have some regrets I didn't pursue it further. In any event, I'll find one eventually.

--- End quote ---

If I spot one somewhere I'll send you a link. Plan on an engine rebuild for the super blend bearings and a known bearing to go bad in the gearbox. I have not done the gearbox in mine but it has to be done as it will lock up from what I have been told.

LowRyter:
Great stuff Bruce.  Saw the white SS939 in a photo and made the connection.  If the Norton is half that nice.........wow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version