General Category > General Discussion

New v85 rear drive leak

<< < (3/5) > >>

Gino:

--- Quote from: sgl0226 on May 17, 2022, 09:13:29 AM ---
Did you get the bikes fixed?  Was it simply an overfill issue?  Hopefully all is good and the two of you enjoy the tour.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the replies, we have several old tontis so no stranger to a set of spanner’s. Both are booked in for the first service on Saturday so I guess after a discussion I’ll know what the options are. I’m not inclined to touch it while it’s under warranty, I have plenty other Guzzi’s and Nortons to take up my spannering time. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Gino

Caffeineo:
What I am hearing is that Moto Guzzi is generous with the rear drive oil.......yet stingy with grease.  :grin:

twowheeladdict:

--- Quote from: JohninPA on May 17, 2022, 09:07:25 AM ---My new V7850 did the same. Oil splattered all over rear wheel and tire sidewall, which I noticed at about 300 miles. I drained the rear and refilled with correct amount of oil, problem gone. Now at 2200 miles, still good.

Overfilled from the factory ... common issue although I don't know why. Seems simple enough to fill correctly. My riding buddy had the same issue with his V7850.

--- End quote ---

On a different brand shaft drive bike I owned, the maintenance manual said "do not spin the wheel while filling, or you will overfill".  I watched the tech spin the wheel.   :rolleyes:

egschade:

--- Quote from: twowheeladdict on May 17, 2022, 09:30:27 PM ---On a different brand shaft drive bike I owned, the maintenance manual said "do not spin the wheel while filling, or you will overfill".  I watched the tech spin the wheel.   :rolleyes:

--- End quote ---

This is true of any shaft drive gearbox. Turning the wheel coats the gears and temporarily lowers the observable oil level. I made that mistake on my first shaft drive bike.

Cam3512:
Originally the book called for 160-180 ml of gear oil in the rear drive.  Turns out anything more than 160 was too much.  Part of the recall was to drain fully and replace with 160 ml.  Even new from the factory some have been overfilled.  Make sure your dealer is aware of this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version